Q&A Thread for members to post questions to Moderators

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
One thing I've always wondered was, do you all have shifts when you are required to be here? I assume there are small gaps here and there, but are there some minimum number of hours per week that an individual mod is required to be here?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
One thing I've always wondered was, do you all have shifts when you are required to be here? I assume there are small gaps here and there, but are there some minimum number of hours per week that an individual mod is required to be here?

No shifts, no minimum hours. Strictly volunteer and we mod as we browse.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
When you say "Admins" who exactly are you talking about? Theres Anand himself and Derek... Who else? Do these Admins share the Mod duty? I mean, is any senior moderator an admin as well?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
When you say "Admins" who exactly are you talking about? Theres Anand himself and Derek... Who else? Do these Admins share the Mod duty? I mean, is any senior moderator an admin as well?
Yes. There are two of them.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: dartworth
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

The need for a separate account is due to some of the actions by a few members here on AT.

The problem is that a few bad apples made the risk unacceptable for myself.

risk...:laugh:

give me a break...

this is so typical of AT...yes, you should resign

You are not privy to all of the security info that goes into the running of these forums Dartworth.My experiences here leave me without a doubt in the world that there's more than one member here who would relish the chance to cause actual harm to mod in some substantial manner.

As a suggestion, if you are concerned about harm from members, you should be sure not to have any threads containing full contact information of the mods, in a "protected" forum or anywhere else. Contain that information off the forums (personal emails, paper, etc). As we all know and every upgrade reinforces, these forums are inherently secure.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: mugs
Question: Why dmccowen still Elite after all his political trolling in Off Topic? ;)
First of all he rarely posts in OT, I thnk you mean P&N.

In P&N one man's Troll is another man's spokesman. Frankly I find those who constantly defend Bush's actions to be trollish but there are those who agree with them. The same goes for Dave. One thing I can say, he takes more abuse than any other member in that forum and I can't ever recall him PM'ing us complaining about it unlike hordes of others who post what many feel is nonsense and then whine to us when they are ridiculed for it. It's a tough place but then politics is a tough topic. It's definately not a place for School Marms and easily offended individuals and I definately wouldn't recommend it to my dyed in the wool Republican Fund a Mental Case Mother :Q

Wow you flame your own mother!

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Steve
Will there be a posted list of moderators?
we aren't planning on posting a central list of moderators, but each forum has its specific moderators listed in a stickied thread.

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Do you have moderator capabilities in your personal account, or do you have to log in to the "Anandtech Moderator" account to edit/lock/delete threads?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: TheChort
Do you have moderator capabilities in your personal account, or do you have to log in to the "Anandtech Moderator" account to edit/lock/delete threads?

The original Anandtech Moderator account does not now have to be used by a Moderator to effect the changes that you indicated.

Our accounts that have the Moderator label, allow the Moderator to manipulate the thread.

The actions that you are talking about do not require an action of a Senior Moderator.

Any Moderator can perform those actions, not just Moderators that "patrol" that particular forum.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Just a technical question about the "Moderator account", why are mods still logging into it?

<--have the "Moderator account" on my buddy list, and I see one of you-all is logged in even now. Under the new guidelines, should the "Moderator account" even exist?

And the changes are great folks, keep em coming. :thumbsup:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Just a technical question about the "Moderator account", why are mods still logging into it?

<--have the "Moderator account" on my buddy list, and I see one of you-all is logged in even now. Under the new guidelines, should the "Moderator account" even exist?

The moderator account is used for some Administrative functions that are not assigned to an indivigual moderator.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: TheChort

The original Anandtech Moderator account does not now have to be used by a Moderator to effect the changes that you indicated.

Our accounts that have the Moderator label, allow the Moderator to manipulate the thread.

The actions that you are talking about do not require an action of a Senior Moderator.

Any Moderator can perform those actions, not just Moderators that "patrol" that particular forum.

I think a simple yes would have covered it

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Since the moderators-on-duty count is being increased, will moderators now be vacationing/banning people who purposely take a thread off-topic instead of locking the thread?

ATM, any thread in P/N that the "concensus" doesn't like can easily be locked with drive-by off-topic inflammatory posts. Moderators play into this too easily and lock valid threads, instead of punishing those who deserve the punishment.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

The moderator account is used for some Administrative functions that are not assigned to an indivigual moderator.

So if we have problems or want to report something, we should send it to the AT moderator account or how does that work?

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

So if we have problems or want to report something, we should send it to the AT moderator account or how does that work?

I get the impression that simple issues like locking could be dealt with PM's to the forum mod, but anything big, especially bannings should be PM'ed to the mod account

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003

to further clarify some points that might be relevant to members...

We want to maintain a single point of contact for the moderation team, and PMs sent to the AnandTech Moderator account will be readable by all senior mods.

We also some times get into some difficult spammer / legal issues in FS/T and the other merchandise forums -- we will allow AnandTech Moderator to continue manging bad traders, spammers, scammers, and the like in these areas to protect the troll hunters we have. that should be somewhere in the guidelines ... if its not, i'm sorry for the oversight.