PX-716A won't recognize any disk...

mack d

Jan 18, 2005

Hi all,

I get this message when trying to burn a CD or DVD: (?Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error ? hardware error.? [04/09/01]). Firmware is 1.03. The burn button in Nero is grayed out and then it locks up. I have to end the task to get out. Windows recognize the burner but the burner doesn't recognize anything I put in. I have it as the master on the secondary IDE port. Running windows XP SP2. I also tried different brands of disk but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Anybody seen this before? Any help is appreciated.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Try removing the drive from Device Manager and let it be redetected. What brand and version of burning software are you using? Drive definition files may need to be updated unless you're using the software that came with the drive. Nero software prior to ver. 6.x won't work with that drive.
. Have you installed or updated your ASPI layer software (DL it from adaptec.com).? I know it says it's for SCSI, but humor me... Seems to cure some DVD problems.
. How about the drive's Firmware? The first batch of those drives (mainly sold thru BestBuy) was pretty shaky and needs a new ver of firmware BAD! And keep it up to date for best media compatibility.
.bh.

Jii

May 23, 2003
get this message when trying to burn a CD or DVD: (?Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error ? hardware error.? [04/09/01]). Firmware is 1.03. The burn button in Nero is grayed out and then it locks up. I have to end the task to get out. Windows recognize the burner but the burner doesn't recognize anything I put in. I have it as the master on the secondary IDE port. Running windows XP SP2. I also tried different brands of disk but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Anybody seen this before? Any help is appreciated.

I have to admit I've never seen anything like that before. Every type of a DVD burner had work for me without problems.

My thoughts turn to Windows XP SP2. I've ran into an issue where Nero refused to cooperate completely with a CDR burner. That was strangely solved by reverting back to SP1. :confused: Of course, it's hard to point out if this is actually a Windows issue (an unlikely scenario).

Did you check, how it reacts to a standard pressed (silver-backed) CD? Does it recognize that either?

I would suggest you turn to the manufacturer's page and get an updated firmware (if available).
If that doesn't help, your drive is likely to be defective and should be replaced. :(

mack d

Jan 18, 2005

I am using Nero 6.6.0.3. I also used Roxio that came with the drive without any luck.

The drive has the latest firmware.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
If you try all the suggestions mentioned above and don't get anywhere, then RMA the drive. It may have suffered shipping damage or just be a lemon (even Plextor occasionally pops one of them). Since you're using Nero, install their version of ASPI or use Nero's tools to see if it is already installed. It's available for most versions of Win in the ASPI section of Nero's Downloads pages.
.bh.