Pwnage of the Year

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Nice prank, but I agree that they should have been punished for it. Even the kids doing the deed said they expected some punishment, just not as severe as it turned out to be.

Punishment was deserved because the principal had made a point of telling the students he expected them to show good sportsmanship at the game. I disagree with the punishment the principal chose, I would have come up with something more fitting that would have served as an apology for the poor sportsmanship.

I'm sure it was great fun for the kids, but I can guarantee that the principal got an earful from the central office, board members, the other school's administration and embarrassed parents. I can see where he might feel the punishment of not attending any more sporting events is warranted because he can say that he can't trust them to not embarrass the school again, but since they're seniors it seems a bit harsh.

Oh, and BTW, I don't know what in-school suspension is like at other schools, but here it is called The Alternative Learning Center (ALC). Kids are isolated from the other students (don't attend class with them, don't each lunch with them, etc.) and they spend the day in a room with a teacher who sees that they do the assignments that are sent to the ALC by their regular classroom teachers.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: grohl
genius. Suspension? :confused: what a load of crap.

oh yeah, link

Awesome. Companies should be climbing over each other to employ that guy.

As far as the suspension... sure, it sucks, but they had to discipline him no matter how cool the prank.

Why? His prank was completely unoriginal. I believe it was Yale students who did the same thing to Harvard alumni a few years ago (same wording). But they were just copying some Caltech students who did something similar at a game between two other teams (Stanford and someone else?) a few decades ago (they had them spell out Caltech).

No one claimed it was original and the guy himself admitted to copying the idea,
"Garchar said he was inspired by a similar prank pulled by Yale students in 2004, when Harvard fans were duped into holding up cards with the same message."

Anyone who things the administration should just look the other way and not give this guy some sort of slap on the wrist is just not thinking clearly. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the punishment he received, but there had to be something done. I am sure some of the fans who were duped into this prank were outraged and calling for his head on a platter.
Personally, I would have laughed about it.

Yeah, I just don't know why you said you think companies should be climbing over each other to employ the guy. Maybe I read too much into what you said. If he came up with the idea on his own, I would have been impressed by his creativity. If he had gone to the extents that Caltech did, I'd have been even more impressed. But I don't think there's anything particularly impressive about what he did - it's very funny, but it doesn't make me want to hire the guy.

Is all I'm saying.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: grohl
genius. Suspension? :confused: what a load of crap.

oh yeah, link

Awesome. Companies should be climbing over each other to employ that guy.

As far as the suspension... sure, it sucks, but they had to discipline him no matter how cool the prank.

Why? His prank was completely unoriginal. I believe it was Yale students who did the same thing to Harvard alumni a few years ago (same wording). But they were just copying some Caltech students who did something similar at a game between two other teams (Stanford and someone else?) a few decades ago (they had them spell out Caltech).

No one claimed it was original and the guy himself admitted to copying the idea,
"Garchar said he was inspired by a similar prank pulled by Yale students in 2004, when Harvard fans were duped into holding up cards with the same message."

Anyone who things the administration should just look the other way and not give this guy some sort of slap on the wrist is just not thinking clearly. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the punishment he received, but there had to be something done. I am sure some of the fans who were duped into this prank were outraged and calling for his head on a platter.
Personally, I would have laughed about it.

Yeah, I just don't know why you said you think companies should be climbing over each other to employ the guy. Maybe I read too much into what you said. If he came up with the idea on his own, I would have been impressed by his creativity. If he had gone to the extents that Caltech did, I'd have been even more impressed. But I don't think there's anything particularly impressive about what he did - it's very funny, but it doesn't make me want to hire the guy.

Is all I'm saying.
i see what you are saying. i just think the prank, which took 20 hours to set up even if it had been done before, was pretty ingenious. i think the guy is someone i'd like working for me if i needed someone with a cunning mind.
even if done before it's not like something just anyone can pull off.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
It would have been better and wiser to make the sign read "Go Voles" or whatever is his own team's mascot. It would not have been offensive and better yet not immediately obvious that it was a nefarious prank but rather create a rolling confusion/delight with less chance of outrage.