Puzzled about Pirates of the Caribbean

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: 00Jones
If you have unanwsered questions they are thinking of making 2 more movies. So they could be able to tell ya more.
That is what I was thinking after seeing the movie, a good starting point for a sequal.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nope. Even better, Bootstrap was cursed like all the others. He was sent to the bottom of the ocean where pressure and everything will make him compress to either implode or shred to the bone.

Now the fun part. When the gold is restored, Bootstrap is changed back to normal human. So his son, in effect kills his own dad! Hey, wasn't that part of another pirate movie? Why yes, I think the movie was called Yellowbeard.

Yellowbeard: Betrayin's all part of piratin'. If you don't know that you're not even close to being a pirate, "Prawn of my loins", my foot!
Dan: What?
Yellowbeard: You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood Dan, and it's not in your blood or you'd have betrayed me long ago!

ElMono

May 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Kev

i have a much simpler question. why does jack sparrow constantly act like a drunk retard? they sort of mentioned an explanation but i kind of missed it

I think he went a little nuts after the crew of the Black Pearl mutinied and left him stranded on the island.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ElMono

i have a much simpler question. why does jack sparrow constantly act like a drunk retard? they sort of mentioned an explanation but i kind of missed it

I think he went a little nuts after the crew of the Black Pearl mutinied and left him stranded on the island.

no. he's constantly swaying around on land cause land dont move right. on the ocean, he's solid as a rock.

that's the idea.

ElMono

May 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Walleye
no. he's constantly swaying around on land cause land dont move right. on the ocean, he's solid as a rock.

that's the idea.

Heh, good point. Never thought of that.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ElMono
Originally posted by: Walleye

that's the idea.

Heh, good point. Never thought of that.

yeah, it was explained to me by my sister who really REALLY liked the movie, or something...

another useless tidbit. the boat they steal is a real boat. it's stationed somewhere in northwest... like oregon or washington, and they accept volunteers for crewing it. give them a summer, they teach you how to sail a square rigger.

yet another useless tidbit. the black pearl is a barge, and only one side of it was built up. apparently there was some trouble when they took it through the panama canal. i forgot what the trouble was, though.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
thats pretty cool. did johnny depp add that little tidbit himself or was it in the script? seems like something depp would do after seeing fear and loathing

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Has anyone else realized that we're talking about a MOVIE here, and that, just maybe, there might be a plot hole or two?

Wouldn't be the first time, you know.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
thats pretty cool. did johnny depp add that little tidbit himself or was it in the script? seems like something depp would do after seeing fear and loathing

wouldnt know. but would guess that it's written into the script.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
They killed him before he turned undead.

no, no, because if they did that then they wouldn't have needed his blood to lift the curse.

As I understand it, he was strapped to a cannon at the bottom of the ocean, living, until will dropped the last medallion in the chest, at which point he either drowned or was killed by pressure.

Just 'cause he is undead doesn't mean he has superhuman strength, and if they tied him well he wuold have been SOL even if he was alive.