Purchasing handgun ammo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
This is one of the reasons I made a fake ID the first week I started college.

My interpretation is that you can buy ammo all day long. I used to buy .22 ammo without being questioned even when I was under 18. But you can't buy guns without being 21 because they have to run a quick background check. Of course, laws keep getting more strict with this stuff...

My advice, pool your money and get a grown up to buy a bunch of ammo for you so you don't have to deal with the asshats that work at the stores. Most don't care whether or not you get your ammo. They just want to protect their $7/hour jobs for some reason.

Wrong interpretation & the clerk shouldn't have been selling it to you. IIRC, it seems that my local Wal-Mart even logs the purchase of handgun ammunition. Last time I purchased a box, they asked if it was for a long rifle or if it was for a handgun - it would have been logged if for a handgun, but was fine if for a rifle. Weird.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DayLaPaul
It is legal to own a handgun at 18 years old in any state in the union. However, it is illegal to sell a gun to someone under 21. Therefore, the only legal way for an 18 year old to legally own a gun is if it is a gift. However, this gift can not be in the form of a "straw purchase." Confused yet?

thats what it was called. straw purchase...couldn't think of it earlier. so wtf is a straw purchase then? I thought it was buying a gun with th intent to give it to someone that normally couldn't purchase it?

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
It is legal to own a handgun at 18 years old in any state in the union. However, it is illegal to sell a gun to someone under 21. Therefore, the only legal way for an 18 year old to legally own a gun is if it is a gift. However, this gift can not be in the form of a "straw purchase." Confused yet?

thats what it was called. straw purchase...couldn't think of it earlier. so wtf is a straw purchase then? I thought it was buying a gun with th intent to give it to someone that normally couldn't purchase it?

I would assume that a straw purchase is when your outgoing "gift" of a handgun is matched with an incoming "gift" of cash.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
This is one of the reasons I made a fake ID the first week I started college.

My interpretation is that you can buy ammo all day long. I used to buy .22 ammo without being questioned even when I was under 18. But you can't buy guns without being 21 because they have to run a quick background check. Of course, laws keep getting more strict with this stuff...

My advice, pool your money and get a grown up to buy a bunch of ammo for you so you don't have to deal with the asshats that work at the stores. Most don't care whether or not you get your ammo. They just want to protect their $7/hour jobs for some reason.

Isn't buying handgun ammo why all college students make fake IDs?

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

It is only illegal if the seller is a licensed dealer. Perfectly legal for me to sell a Texas resident under 21 a handgun or ammo, as I'm not a licensed dealer of firearms or ammunition.

Straw purchase is when the person buying the firearm and filling out the paperwork is not the actual buyer.

Dad fills out paperwork and pays the dealer and gives the gun to his son = legal

Dad buying and filling out paperwork and giving the gun to a friend's son for graduation = legal

Friend gives Dad money and then Dad goes and buys and fills out paperwork = illegal straw purchase

Irrelevant if the friend is able to own a firearm or not

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Guns in the states is like booze here. You may need to be a certain age to get it, but someone else older will just go out and buy it for you. :p