Purchased 40" monitor, need a bit of advice

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's an Avera 40" 4K 40EQX20, 2017 model. Newegg's been selling them for anywhere from 179.99 to $249.99, currently at $199.99 but sold out. I bought one at Newegg (at $199.99, never saw it for $179.99 when it wasn't sold out) but it has a bad defect and I'm going to RMA it (a streak about 0.3" below the screen about 2.25" long). I can get a refund or replacement from Newegg until January 31st, and they'll pay for shipping.

Walmart was selling it for $189.99 online and I bought one there (at the time I figured I wanted two of these). It was delivered to my door but the box looked like it had been dropped on its corner and I brought it to a local Walmart, unopened, asking to return it. They said you used Chase Pay to pay for it and therefore they would give me a gift card, not a refund. I'm whatever and took the gift card. A few days ago I noticed Walmart's price drop to $149.99 and after a couple days ordered another from them, but opted not for free delivery but to pick up at the store. I figured my chances of getting undamaged merchandise were better if I picked it up than if a delivery service placed it on my porch. I just an hour ago picked it up and brought it home, where it sits unopened. Yes, I had a look at the box when they gave it to me and it does show some rough treatment but maybe not as bad as the other. What I didn't notice is that the box was missing the two yellow plastic straps that were on the one I received from Newegg. The Newegg item, in unboxing it, seemed for sure as from the factory. Everything looked fresh and perfectly packaged, basically. This one from Walmart I am pretty sure has been opened. Looking carefully, I see that there was clear plastic tape under the tape that's there now. [Edit: subsequent investigations revealed that this was the previous year's model, 2016. Avera really should have given the 2017 model a new name like other manufacturers do.]

Should I just bring this back now and ask for a refund or replacement? Aren't they supposed to supply me with brand new in the box merchandise? This wasn't represented as "refurbished!" Is Walmart trying to pull a fast one on me? BTW, as of yesterday they bumped the price to $169.99.

Edit: Yes, Walmart was pulling a fast one on me. Everyone else was getting the 2017 model and they sent me the 2016 model. It's going back.

Last edited:

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Hook up the monitor, you worry too much, the dented box one probably would of been fine too. If it doesn't work return it, my bet is it'll work fine for years to come.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hook up the monitor, you worry too much, the dented box one probably would of been fine too. If it doesn't work return it, my bet is it'll work fine for years to come.
Yeah, it might work fine. But I'm saying it looks not like a new in the box monitor but one that was put back in the box by someone other than the manufacturer. Therefore it's not even to be trusted as much as a refurbished monitor. It was represented as new but isn't new. What its history is I can barely guess... rejected by someone for whatever reason, maybe a defect? A floor model? I've bought tons of refurbished mechandise but when I pay for new I like to get new. Don't you? Especially I don't like buying something that's not what it was represented to be. Monitors are relatively fragile, so all this goes extra for a monitor.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The big question is why are you buying such low end monitors?

Stop worrying about the cardboard box and buy a better monitor. Maybe a Samsung at a store.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
New in box doesn't mean it wasn't opened. Return it if it looks used or damaged when you set it up. Stop worrying so much.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You may both be right. I'm pretty much a noobie with regard to hi-res monitors. Been researching. One reason I'm nervous about accepting a monitor that looks like it's chances of not being fine are suspect is that my lack of experience makes me vulnerable to not noticing that a display has issues. That really is where I'm coming from. Now, the display I'm looking at right now (the Avera 40EQX20 40" 4K I got from Newegg) has that obvious scratch and it's going back. That's like 200 dead pixels all lined up in a row.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The big question is why are you buying such low end monitors?

Stop worrying about the cardboard box and buy a better monitor. Maybe a Samsung at a store.
Yeah, I should check that out. There's a Best Buy not far away. One thing about this Avera that bothers me is it takes 16 seconds to come on after pressing the power button. If I could get a Samsung that takes 6 seconds with UHD 4K, I'd probably go for it instead. I'll look into that. Preferably 40" but maybe they don't make them less than 43".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Preferably 40" but maybe they don't make them less than 43".
I'll check out the LG and TCL offerings too. Fast startup time is a premium feature for me with one of my systems.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
you keep calling a TV a monitor; are you going to use it as a computer monitor or as a TV? If you're going to sue it as a computer monitor, you really need to look for something better and preferably tested as a monitor. When i had to replace my old 37" samsung something or other i used this site a couple of years ago. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor If it's not good specs, Text can, and usually, looks bad.

I ended up buying another samsung but the smallest i could get that seemed good was 40". Also ended up going 4k as it was just about the same price as the 1080 models out at the same time. I've yet to order one online and have it shipped to me. i still just go to a local store to pick it up. Makes returns or complaints easier. I'm not sure if freight shippers have standards for shipping TVs; but i've seen customers load up large TVs to take home in a very bad way. IE: laying sideways, not even flat, on a trailer or back of a pickup truck. Unless something has changed, you're supposed to keep them upright when shipping.

If you're just using it as a TV; then it probably doesn't matter as much. Maybe.

Edit: should note, not all models by manufactures are created equal, even in the same model line. some change throughout the size of the screen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you keep calling a TV a monitor; are you going to use it as a computer monitor or as a TV?
Yes, probably principally as a computer monitor, so that's the priority. Crisp text is a major priority. As fast a startup time as possible is very important. If quick start on low power state is available, that would be a major plus.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Yes, probably principally as a computer monitor, so that's the priority. Crisp text is a major priority. As fast a startup time as possible is very important. If quick start on low power state is available, that would be a major plus.

Chroma 4.4.4 = crisp text
Low input lag = fast mouse response

VA vs IPS:
VA = better contrast but less viewing angle
IPS = better viewing angle but less contrast

I wish they made a 38" or 40" with Display port.....I noticed they are going to 43" and the 40's are disappearing. Wonder why?

Mar 11, 2004
OP, I saw this display on Slickdeals (Wal-Mart.com had it as low as $150, last I looked it was $170).

I thought about it, especially since one of my monitors developed a problem. I had tried a 50" 4K Hisense and it didn't quite fit my needs (was having issues with PC use where it'd lose signal sync or something with my PC, and was bit too large so I couldn't use my Swan speakers). I want to hold out longer though as the rest of my PC isn't well suited for 4K, and I want more options and for VRR and HDR with the newest HDMI to get sorted out more. 40" 4K would suit me well for a PC monitor.

You should check out the slickdeals thread on it. They had some info that should help out. Like you'll need to go into some service menu to properly adjust it. I think you want to name one of the inputs as PC or Computer (which will enable the 4:4:4 RGB).

https://slickdeals.net/f/12446884-40-avera-40eqx20-4k-uhd-led-hdtv-149-99-free-shipping-walmart

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Is it 4K?

My home office screens for work: a pair of Samsung 40" 4k screens...I use an HP docking station with 2 display ports that I am connecting with display port to HDMI cables...

They are connected at 30hz which is fine for work...

20181219_134343.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The one on the left is a UN40HU6950 which I got late 2014...hard to believe that one is 4 years old now...

the other one is UN40MU6300 which is about a year and half old...

Reactions: paperfist

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The one on the left is a UN40HU6950 which I got late 2014...hard to believe that one is 4 years old now...

the other one is UN40MU6300 which is about a year and half old...
How far away do you sit?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OP, I saw this display on Slickdeals (Wal-Mart.com had it as low as $150, last I looked it was $170).

I thought about it, especially since one of my monitors developed a problem. I had tried a 50" 4K Hisense and it didn't quite fit my needs (was having issues with PC use where it'd lose signal sync or something with my PC, and was bit too large so I couldn't use my Swan speakers). I want to hold out longer though as the rest of my PC isn't well suited for 4K, and I want more options and for VRR and HDR with the newest HDMI to get sorted out more. 40" 4K would suit me well for a PC monitor.

You should check out the slickdeals thread on it. They had some info that should help out. Like you'll need to go into some service menu to properly adjust it. I think you want to name one of the inputs as PC or Computer (which will enable the 4:4:4 RGB).

https://slickdeals.net/f/12446884-40-avera-40eqx20-4k-uhd-led-hdtv-149-99-free-shipping-walmart
That thread you link should really help me, I'll check that out. I have been wrestling with those very issues the last couple days. I have a new system that outputs in 4K res, and for that that Avera 40" 4K display is quite beautiful. But I am using another HDMI input for my laptop, which outputs at 1920x1080 and text is pretty fuzzy. I figure maybe that output/input needs to be upscaled to 4K res to sharpen the text.

I am aware of the service menu, reviews (few as they are) at retailer sites (i.e. Newegg, Amazon) refer to it. It's accessed by pressing Menu + 1147 on the remote. I got into trouble by somehow choosing some setting that essentially locked up the system... no remote control response from any buttons, and even unplugging the display for hours did not resolve it. I called Avera support and got a solution... turn off the display using the power button on the lower right (I didn't know it was there), then remove from power, plug back in and it has behaved normally ever since.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
How far away do you sit?

My head is about 3 feet away from the screens..

One thing to remember when using these as monitors instead of as a TV, you only need to focus on certain section of the screen as you view your application so it doesn't matter that you don't see both screens entirely without moving your left to right/up and down...

And life really sucks when I don't work from home....one big drawback of this setup is that it sucks when you are used to these screens and then have to travel and you can't use them....to compensate somewhat, I do have two 15.6" 4k monitors that I hook up to my laptop (having to bring the docking station which thankfully is pretty compact) that I use on the road but it isn't quite the same. definitely first world problems there....

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Chroma 4.4.4 = crisp text
Low input lag = fast mouse response
VA vs IPS:
VA = better contrast but less viewing angle
IPS = better viewing angle but less contrast
I wish they made a 38" or 40" with Display port.....I noticed they are going to 43" and the 40's are disappearing. Wonder why?
Yes, what I've been reading today suggests that Display Port (at least some form of it) is future proofing your purchase. It will give you the equivalent of HDMI 2.1, right? So, maybe a 43" makes more sense even though it seems big to me, than a 40".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I spent 1/2 the afternoon reading that thread... all ~200 posts! I have it, could return it. Trying to make up my mind. I'm pretty unknowing but am trying to read up on the technology. I have a rig with an EVGA 1050 3GB card and have another one of those cards for a rig I plan to build for upstairs. I hope they are up to the challenge of driving 4K UHD displays.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Yes, what I've been reading today suggests that Display Port (at least some form of it) is future proofing your purchase. It will give you the equivalent of HDMI 2.1, right? So, maybe a 43" makes more sense even though it seems big to me, than a 40".

You misunderstood. The 40" TV's are disappearing. The smallest is 43" now which is really too big for a PC monitor.

I would prefer a 38" 4k@144hz @ Chroma 4:4:4 with a Display port.....I'll hold my breath.