punkbuster is indeed a pos

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
COD4

Failure to initalize when I run multi player game though when i test services it runs ok with no error.

Join a game and I get kicked because of no packet flow or what not.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Have you updated your PB? I had to update mine manually once; it would not auto update. Sometimes, it's also a server side problem...

Yeah, it is quite troublesome at times, I wish there was a better solution.

I wonder if PB really works as advertised, or it's just a placebo...

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I had to manually update mine as well.

I really hate that the PnkBstrA.exe process eats up 30MB of memory when I am not even playing a game.

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003
I completely agree.

Punkbuster is a pos for running as a memory hog service, not working properly, and its ability to effectively stop cheating is poor.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Ya...PB is a clunky POS for sure. There was a big update around Thanksgiving for COD4, maybe the Saturday after...was unreal, no one could play because the servers all updated automatically, most people didn't have the updater installed so they had to get the updater from the PB site, which was getting completely slammed. Once you got the updater, the update server kept timing out bc it was getting slammed as well.

It really should be integrated or seamless if its a requirement to play online. Still, its better than NOTHING imo and at least gives the appearance there's no one cheating (IDK what loopholes it has honestly). In the end it doesn't seem like anyone's cheating and makes me love love it that much more when whinos cry when you kill them (repeatedly). :D

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow
Ya...PB is a clunky POS for sure. There was a big update around Thanksgiving for COD4, maybe the Saturday after...was unreal, no one could play because the servers all updated automatically, most people didn't have the updater installed so they had to get the updater from the PB site, which was getting completely slammed. Once you got the updater, the update server kept timing out bc it was getting slammed as well.

It really should be integrated or seamless if its a requirement to play online. Still, its better than NOTHING imo and at least gives the appearance there's no one cheating (IDK what loopholes it has honestly). In the end it doesn't seem like anyone's cheating and makes me love love it that much more when whinos cry when you kill them (repeatedly). :D

I ended up not playing for a week after that fiasco.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What a pita. Stupid thing didnt update itself and I have been getting kicked from COD4 games because of it.

Edit: Even after the update this pos is kicking me. Great application douchebags.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I used PB's auto-updater .exe . That did the trick.

Played online for 6 hours straight.

I think I must of killed PC Surgeon 1000x over. .... ;)

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: binister
I had to manually update mine as well.

I really hate that the PnkBstrA.exe process eats up 30MB of memory when I am not even playing a game.

30 megs ? That process in my computer only uses 2.4

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Zbox
I completely agree.

Punkbuster is a pos for running as a memory hog service, not working properly, and its ability to effectively stop cheating is poor.

<insert memory rhetoric>UNUSED MEMORY IS WASTED MEMORY!!!1!1!!!!!!1!</insert>:roll:

Glad I don't have COD4 I guess...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: martensite

I wonder if PB really works as advertised, or it's just a placebo...

See for yourself. Search Youtube for COD 4 hacks. Also search for aimbot and wallhack.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
It does definitely stop script-kiddies. It doesn't stop the knowledgeable cheaters, but it stops most of them. (Most of them, being the retards)

The people who are left over still cheating are usually easily detectable, and/or tone it down as to not get too much of an advantage, lest they get caught in an otherwise clean game.

I run servers some times, it helps. A LOT.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: Zbox
I completely agree.

<insert memory rhetoric>UNUSED MEMORY IS WASTED MEMORY!!!1!1!!!!!!1!</insert>:roll:

Glad I don't have COD4 I guess...

PB comes with other games also. just because you don't have CoD4 doesn't mean you don't have PB.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: manowar821
It does definitely stop script-kiddies. It doesn't stop the knowledgeable cheaters, but it stops most of them. (Most of them, being the retards)

The people who are left over still cheating are usually easily detectable, and/or tone it down as to not get too much of an advantage, lest they get caught in an otherwise clean game.

I run servers some times, it helps. A LOT.

You can always spectate like the youtube videos shown above. Some I dont see any obvious cheating. Except for the one where that one guy that always got head shots.

I find it near impossible to fire a fully auto machine gun with recoil at the head of bunny hoppers and prone/runners. Half the time I always end up running into a battle between two others and eating a grenade, but who doesn't?

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
EDIT. Nevermind, posted in the COD4 thread instead, to avoid turning this into another parallel discussion.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Those who remember the time before PB, also known as the OGC era, do not knock PB despite it's flaws.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: skace
Those who remember the time before PB, also known as the OGC era, do not knock PB despite it's flaws.

Very true. At least it's something.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm not quite a PB victim like most in this thread, but I do have an opinion.

I don't game online; I have a weird schedule, I work a lot and my internet connection sucks. So, I play mostly (99%) single player games.

I had to install PB for either Crisis or Hellgate (can't remember) otherwise the installer would quit. It was MANDATORY. :| WTF? For my $50, I should pick and choose what the hell I want to install! Anyway.

After the install and reboot, I noticed my CPU usage was hovering at around 20% and memory usage was higher than normal for idle. Way higher.

Sure enough, it was PnkBstrA.exe & PnkBstrB.exe (they need TWO? WTF!!!!) that were eating up my resources.

A little tinkering in MSCONFIG fixed the startup issues. They don't bother me anymore.

So yes; PunkBuster sucks monkey nuts.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I think they updated it. Punk A sends information to punk B for verification when game is running. Though punk B only initializes after the game is loaded. So CPU usage should not be used. Punk A is always running though and takes up some RAM use.