Pulling the trigger on Trident Z RGB Ram, May God Help Me If This Does Nt Wrk. R thy even worth It?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Memory overclocking can take a long, long time to dial something in well. I do it on my main system as a hobby along with all sorts of other overclocking and performance tweaking, but when I threw together the other box with that CL15 3600 stuff, I was like "eh, XMP is good enough for me".

This is exactly where i am at :). I used to bother soo much about the tiny stuff and have done soo much of it, now i just feel like Meh it'll do cause now i have far less time to tweak and tinker and far more important things to do.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Memory overclocking can take a long, long time to dial something in well. I do it on my main system as a hobby along with all sorts of other overclocking and performance tweaking, but when I threw together the other box with that CL15 3600 stuff, I was like "eh, XMP is good enough for me".

Well, a person has the option to increase the VDIMM voltage as needed to increase the speed. Or to drop the latency timings. Or both. It may require bumping up the VCCIO (aka IMC) voltage.

I'm not sure I want to fiddle with the timings, or it might entail making changes to the secondary timings -- I can't say. I've done it before. But the trial-and-error aspect is a pain-in-the-ass.

It's the sort of thing you'd want to nail down early in building the system, after overclocking the CPU.

The easiest thing I'd found to do was to run the command-rate at 1. But then, that would be a lot more troublesome for a 4x8GB system than for a 2x16GB. It might not even be possible for anything but a kit of two RAM modules. Otherwise, you can depend on G.SKILLs to make it possible.