Pulled the trigger on a new iMac

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
My computer (PC that I built) committed suicide last night. I was planning on buying an iMac anyways when it got updated. So I decided to pull the trigger and buy the current 21" model. Will be delivered tomorrow (Amazon Prime).

Just thought I'd share.

SSWilson

Dec 29, 2001
Congrats! I'm sure you will love it. I've been using iMac's for a few years now and really enjoy them. Have fun.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Wish the FedEx guy wold hurry up and come! Im bouncing off the walls over here!

Btw this is my first "flat-screen" iMac. Only other iMac ive owned was one of the CRT G3's (Indigo color!)

if it has HDMI out, you can put to HTPC use

My mini is connected to an HDMI monitor. It is used for my music production rig.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
Wish the FedEx guy wold hurry up and come! Im bouncing off the walls over here!

Btw this is my first "flat-screen" iMac. Only other iMac ive owned was one of the CRT G3's (Indigo color!)

My mini is connected to an HDMI monitor. It is used for my music production rig.

Did you happen to go with the fusion drive?

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Yummy

9049467953_1cd1818ee7_z.jpg

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Just thought I'd give a little update, if anyone cares:

Had this computer a week now. Overall I'm very happy with it. I was worried that 8GB RAM wouldn't be enough, as I also run Win7 in a VM, but so far I haven't had any issues in that respect. The only thing that's kind of annoying is the 5400RPM stock HDD. Coming from an SSD, that's quite a shock. I can live with it though.

But seriously, why the hell are companies still using 5400RPM drives??

Another interesting thing is that it uses less than half of the electricity at idle than my previous computer. ~35w vs ~80w. Kinda cool. I've always heard that they try to make Macs as energy-efficient as possible, but I never really noticed it first-hand.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
Why are you complaining about a 5400rpm hard drive?

You spend thousands on a Mac. Apple makes you pay a premium for flash storage, a 'fusion drive', or even a 7200rpm drive.

If you bought a Mac you should have gone all out instead of a low end model.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005

You spend thousands on a Mac. Apple makes you pay a premium for flash storage, a 'fusion drive', or even a 7200rpm drive.

Man has a point. If it's going to be a shiny pretty pile of junk for housewife-grade computing, it might as well be a fast-ish one.

It was immensely annoying though that with the new iMacs I can no longer order a non-Fusion HDD + SSD option. I don't need a 768Gb start SSD, so I went for 512's (with a 256/256 OS split) and had to buy external TB drives even just for a couple of Tb.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net

The only reason I didn't was because a new model is likely imminent. This is just a temp machine until the new one is released (which I will then customize).

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
The only reason I didn't was because a new model is likely imminent. This is just a temp machine until the new one is released (which I will then customize).
That makes 0 sense...

Clearly you have plenty of money if your going to buy the Haswell model after JUST BUYING the 2012 iMac.

Why would you settle for a 5400 rpm drive and complain about it when you HAVE money and are buying an overpriced Mac in the first place?

So what exactly are you going to do with this iMac when you get the new one? Sell it?

Oh people will buy it. Many are obsessed with Mac's and they will pay high price, I know. They will not however pay close to what you paid because it's still 'used' and it's lost value the minute you unboxed it.

Let this be a lesson.

If your going to spend thousands on a Mac you go all out on nearly everything.

Mac's are only getting thinner, which means they solder parts to the logic board and you cannot swap things out. They use mobile chips so there is little to no chance of upgrading.

You have money, clearly... You could have gotten even a small SSD and the machine would be good for a few years. Then you could use an external as media storage.

Big mistake.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
That makes 0 sense...

Clearly you have plenty of money if your going to buy the Haswell model after JUST BUYING the 2012 iMac.

Why would you settle for a 5400 rpm drive and complain about it when you HAVE money and are buying an overpriced Mac in the first place?

So what exactly are you going to do with this iMac when you get the new one? Sell it?

Oh people will buy it. Many are obsessed with Mac's and they will pay high price, I know. They will not however pay close to what you paid because it's still 'used' and it's lost value the minute you unboxed it.

Let this be a lesson.

If your going to spend thousands on a Mac you go all out on nearly everything.

Mac's are only getting thinner, which means they solder parts to the logic board and you cannot swap things out. They use mobile chips so there is little to no chance of upgrading.

You have money, clearly... You could have gotten even a small SSD and the machine would be good for a few years. Then you could use an external as media storage.

Big mistake.

Why would I spend more money and go "all out" if I'm just going to turn around and sell it a month or two later? THAT makes zero sense.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
Why would I spend more money and go "all out" if I'm just going to turn around and sell it a month or two later? THAT makes zero sense.
It's a Mac. You already paid for an overpriced computer with average hardware.

It makes no sense you got a worse drive and are complaining about it.

It makes even less sense you didn't wait for the new model.

You got the money though, you just don't know how to spend it.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
It's a Mac. You already paid for an overpriced computer with average hardware.

It makes no sense you got a worse drive and are complaining about it.

It makes even less sense you didn't wait for the new model.

You got the money though, you just don't know how to spend it.

Except I'm not complaining about it. As I said in my update, I'm very happy with the overall performance, except that going from an SSD to 5400rpm was a big adjustment.

And if you had read the very first post, you would've known that i couldn't wait for a newer model as my computer died.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Congrats for your new iMac!! I want one but I will settle for Mac Mini in the future.

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
I love my macbook air. I want to replace my desktop with a Mac Mini. Just gotta get the wife on board. It's not going well.

Congrats on the iMac. That's money well spent.