Public Schools Are Nothing More Than Disease Factories!

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
I know a lot of adults who have kids and work with kids in schools, and those adults are much more likely to get sick many times a year, compared with the people I know who are single, or don't work in schools.

And it seems like the elementary and middle schools are the worst for disease transmissions, versus the high schools or colleges.

I think modern society would be a lot healthier overall if younger kids were taught at home on the PC or home schooled in smaller groups of kids, in healthier home environments, rather than dumping them into a massive germ factory and expecting them to be healthy in it.

Not only that, but I am also sure the literacy rates among kids would also skyrocket as a result. Of course if there are no good jobs other than burger flippers at some fast food joint, literacy don't matter that much. :roll:

And yes, I think sickness is once again upon me. :gift::|

:light: Just my 2 cents worth.

Edit: For the purposes of this topic, public and private schools are considered the same thing, since public schools account for the vast majority of schools out there. :thumbsup:

This is kind of a continuation of this thread Worst Cold-Flu Strains To Circulate In Decades?

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I agree, with classes of 30+ students as long as a single one of them is ill, its hell for everyone else, and then it spreads to their home, and people take it from home to work, and it spreads through the work, etc etc

Also I think most people fail to realize young people (specially teens) nowadays are the shit they are because of bad influences... They always wanna do whats "in" and follow their friends :roll: The best/most interesting persons Ive known until now all have a very strong personality and little influence from the outside world, so its not just a coincidence

In that sense, homeschooling FTW

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
No more so than public theaters, public transit, or pretty much anyplace that large numbers of people congregate in a confined area. To me nothing seems more like a disease factory than a full airplane, subway car, or bus where you are crammed up against lots of anonymous strangers.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Any time you get a large gathering of individuals in a single area, you're going to have disease spreading. Its actually a good thing. You get exposed to common cold-type viruses early on, gain immunities to fight off others later.

Having everyone home schooled would be asinine, causing a massive drop in literacy rates, math and science comprehension, etc. Not all parents are qualified to teach children.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Any time you get a large gathering of individuals in a single area, you're going to have disease spreading. Its actually a good thing. You get exposed to common cold-type viruses early on, gain immunities to fight off others later.

Having everyone home schooled would be asinine, causing a massive drop in literacy rates, math and science comprehension, etc. Not all parents are qualified to teach children.

A lot of the problem has to do with hygiene. Young children have little sense of it, and contribute heavily to the disease problem in a school environment. They might sneeze or cough in each other faces, smear mucous and saliva on their hands and get it all over the school, and then other kids contact it and stick their fingers in their mouths, noses and ears and spread the contagion around. This is not normal behavior among most adults or even teenagers.

And I didn't mean to imply that only parents would be doing the home schooling. It could be done by teachers in a smaller class environment with less mixing of the germs occurring. Unlike it is done now, which is a disease factory, bar none.

And there is no proof that exposure to diseases builds up immunities. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be true. Many diseases from past exposures can crop up later in life, such as arthritis caused from past bacterial infections. People can get pneumonia from a simple cold virus and many other causes, and I fail to see how this helps them fight off infections later if it kills them first. Also even immunizations for various diseases in children can also lead to new outbreaks of diseases they are immunizing the kids for in their parents, such as mumps or chickenpox. This is in spite of the fact the parents might have had the diseases once already. Obviously their prior exposures did nothing to prevent a later reexposure to the diseases.

Offer To Publicly Drink Vaccines Still Not Taken! Offer Up To $120,000!!!

Mar 22, 2002
Ok, so we should keep our kids away from any source of virus or bacteria just so they don't get sick a couple of times? Come on, now, that's part of what helps strengthen their immune system in the long run.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
I know a lot of adults who have kids and work with kids in schools, and those adults are much more likely to get sick many times a year, compared with the people I know who are single, or don't work in schools.

And it seems like the elementary and middle schools are the worst for disease transmissions, versus the high schools or colleges.

I think modern society would be a lot healthier overall if younger kids were taught at home on the PC or home schooled in smaller groups of kids, in healthier home environments, rather than dumping them into a massive germ factory and expecting them to be healthy in it.

Not only that, but I am also sure the literacy rates among kids would also skyrocket as a result. Of course if there are no good jobs other than burger flippers at some fast food joint, literacy don't matter that much. :roll:

I hope your comments about literacy were sarcastic - especially the bolded part.

Oct 25, 2006
Let them be. America is so damn Germaphobic these days. I used to go to a dirty public school, and yet I'm fine. I would rather get sick young and get an immunity, then get sick when I'm older.

Let the germs alone. Germaphobes are actually what causes Children to get asthma and allergies.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Let them be. America is so damn Germaphobic these days. I used to go to a dirty public school, and yet I'm fine. I would rather get sick young and get an immunity, then get sick when I'm older.

Let the germs alone. Germaphobes are actually what causes Children to get asthma and allergies.

Interesting, I would love to see the studies that prove that...

I think that hygein couldn't be taught at a younger age. Yes, desease will spread, but if schools take simple precautions like, I don't know, having kids wash their hands after playing outside.

Heck, if a kid goes to the bathroom the teacher should have a sink in the classroom to make sure they wash their hands. That alone with kill (or extreamly hamper) the spread of disease.

As for Americans being germaphobs, I just can't agree with that. if anything we are pretty lax when it comes to public sanitation. (heck even in the food industry there are methods un-implimented that could help cut down on illness that we don't do because we are lazy).

If anything, I think the trend in america is to be less caring about others around you and hence dropping the need for being hygienic.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Schools need to STOP rewarding kids for attendance, and instead MAKE them stay home or go home if they're sick. The needs of the many outweigh the perfect attendance record of the few.

I fail to see how there's any difference between public and private schools. Do diseases avoid wealthier kids because they know they have health insurance?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
get a better immune system ;)

<--- hasn't been significantly sick in like.. 10 years, minus eating bad food.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yea. We should homeschool all children because schools are too disease-ridden.

This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. Where would they be taught? Who would do the teaching? There isn't funding for that sort of thing. Plus you gain social skills in school that you wouldn't really get if it's just a couple of people learning at home.

I vote this thread 0 stars!

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Most home schoolers I have known (not all), but a good bit have had a lot of problems with social networking. You end up getting the adults who do not know how to talk to anyone. There is a fine line to walk there. home schooling is not the end all answer to everything.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SlickSnake

Tried this? Some teacher invented it. It must be the be-all end-all. ;)

May 16, 2000
Keeping people from being exposed to diseases won't help, it will just cripple their immune systems for when they finally do encounter various bugs. People need to be exposed to disease. School is one good way of doing this.

If you want support just look back in history at all the first encounter scenerios. If your people haven't been exposed regularly you end up getting wiped out.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I died from a disease I picked up at a public school. I wish my parents would have sent me to a private school instead so I could still be alive.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Deeko
Yea. We should homeschool all children because schools are too disease-ridden.

This is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. Where would they be taught? Who would do the teaching? There isn't funding for that sort of thing. Plus you gain social skills in school that you wouldn't really get if it's just a couple of people learning at home.

I vote this thread 0 stars!

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: markgm
I died from a disease I picked up at a public school. I wish my parents would have sent me to a private school instead so I could still be alive.

:(

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: markgm

another victim of public education

RIP
rose.gif

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
I agree, with classes of 30+ students as long as a single one of them is ill, its hell for everyone else, and then it spreads to their home, and people take it from home to work, and it spreads through the work, etc etc

Also I think most people fail to realize young people (specially teens) nowadays are the shit they are because of bad influences... They always wanna do whats "in" and follow their friends :roll: The best/most interesting persons Ive known until now all have a very strong personality and little influence from the outside world, so its not just a coincidence

In that sense, homeschooling FTW

I guess we should all lock ourselves in nuclear-proof bunkers to be safe from them germs. :confused:

And how exactly is one supposed to have a personality by cutting off influences from the outside world? 4chan? Anandtech Forums' Love & Relationships? Xbox Live? The Matrix?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm thats pretty idiotic.

whats next? trying to keep kids of park equipment? from playing with animals? all of which are full of germs and disease.

Tenshodo13 is right. there was a study that found that parents rely on anti-bacterial soap to much. Kids need that stuff to help make the immune system stronger. they found kids that live in the country with animals are more healthy then ones living in sup-burbs.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
hmm thats pretty idiotic.

whats next? trying to keep kids of park equipment? from playing with animals? all of which are full of germs and disease.

Tenshodo13 is right. there was a study that found that parents rely on anti-bacterial soap to much. Kids need that stuff to help make the immune system stronger. they found kids that live in the country with animals are more healthy then ones living in sup-burbs.
not only antibacterial soap, but they've put anti-bacterial agents in almost everything.

having a pet is one of the best things you can do for a child's immune system.

Oct 4, 2004
they found kids that live in the country with animals are more healthy then ones living in sup-burbs.

That's what my grand-daddy used to say. He said, "God made man tough enough to survive in the wilderness with nothing but a loincloth and a club. He didn't create a tree that spawned pills to help you digest raw brontosaurus meat for good reason."

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
they found kids that live in the country with animals are more healthy then ones living in sup-burbs.

That's what my grand-daddy used to say. He said, "God made man tough enough to survive in the wilderness with nothing but a loincloth and a club. He didn't create a tree that spawned pills to help you digest raw brontosaurus meat for good reason."

lol