PUBG suing Epic over Fortnight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 10, 2018
PUBG 0 Fortnite 1, people always go for free versions and that is what Fortnite did. Free battle royal is fascinating and one will always choose something paid.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
PUBG 0 Fortnite 1, people always go for free versions and that is what Fortnite did. Free battle royal is fascinating and one will always choose something paid.
The only time I ever played PUBG was on iOS. It was free. Which platforms charge for it?

I had no idea what I was doing and somehow won anyway ("winner winner chicken dinner"). Retired with a perfect undefeated record.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The only time I ever played PUBG was on iOS. It was free. Which platforms charge for it?

I had no idea what I was doing and somehow won anyway ("winner winner chicken dinner"). Retired with a perfect undefeated record.

It costs $30 on pc, and Xbox one. What makes this a problem is it is labeled as an unfinished product. If it was free to play and not quite complete that would be a different story. This is basically paying to be a beta tester or for early access.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It costs $30 on pc, and Xbox one. What makes this a problem is it is labeled as an unfinished product. If it was free to play and not quite complete that would be a different story. This is basically paying to be a beta tester or for early access.
Worked for Minecraft.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Wow. There's actually an official XBOX One console bundle that includes this "unfinished" game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I guess it's popular enough that they offer it, plus it's not on PS4 so it's one game Microsoft can advertise as console exclusive that isn't total trash. I'm not a fan of the game but I'm sure people play it and enjoy it and it's probably better than a majority of exclusives MS puts out except for Forza titles.

Phenzyn

Mar 18, 2018
The lawsuit seems rather silly, but I am curious if there might be some reason why they filed it in Korea rather than in the United States. A possible "home field advantage"? Anyway, the thing is... it's not like Bluehole invented the Battle Royale genre either. H1Z1 already had a Battle Royale mode prior to the release of PUBG, but it's arguable that PUBG was the first widely popular Battle Royale game.
Exactly this

I don't play either game but I have tons of Steam friends that play PUBG and tons or others that play Fortnite. I know Fortnite is "winning" now and everything but it surely seems like PUBG is doing alright. To me this could only negatively affect their public image, because if it was me and I was looking to pick one up now or throw some money at one or the other, I would pick Fortnite simply because I wouldn't want to give PUBG my money after this.

Phenzyn

Mar 18, 2018
Wow. There's actually an official XBOX One console bundle that includes this "unfinished" game.
Why not? Sea of Thieves is clearly an unfinished game too and that is their current flagship and was supposed to be their #1 title this year.

Honestly the only reason I could see getting an XBONE over the PS4 or Switch at this point is to play 360 games

Jan 10, 2018

PUBG is not free on Steam it is priced around $30ish