Psychonauts 2 is getting close

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For 59.99 I am hoping and assuming this is a damn good game.

Last one was considered an indie small studio product and it was about 20-30 dollars at launch.

And if you forgot what Psychonauts is all about:

Above average platformer from the few genuinely creative people who used to work at Lucas Arts. Good times.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i gave you a thumbs up just because you reminded me that Zero Punctuation exists. Never actually played Psychonauts.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Definitely looking forward to this. The first game has some of the most unique level design in any game ever made.

That being said, some of the modern sequels to old classics weren't all that great. Broken Age was nice enough but nothing special.

Last edited:

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I loved the first game. It was absolutely amazing. Hope this is just as good.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm ready for it. The first one is one of my favorite platformers.

It's on Xbox Game Pass, so you don't have to pay $60 to play it, if you don't mind subscriptions.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Psychonauts was a solid platformer and legitimately funny game.

Like many cult classics, its reputation has ballooned to the point where most newer players likely will be left with the impression that its an OK game with a quirky sense of humor, but its reputation was earned as a product of its time.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
What really made it stand out were the levels and environments, each one is a surreal vision of a character's mind and how they see the world. The gameplay and story are fun but nothing special. It was also on PC at a time when platformers were rare on PC.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think 3D platformers as a genre needs to make a comeback.

Level design and player movement went through a huge regression during the PS3/360 era as devs had to build in a bunch of stupid hidden loading screens to overcome some massive hardware limitations and unfortunately we're not fully back to where we used to be. Everything has boiled down to the Corridor/Arena dichotomy.

If indie devs can tackle this forgotten genre after they get over the Metroidvania/2D Soulsborne thing, that'd be great!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Getting good reviews, will give this a try when it releases. I tried the first one, but the it was kind of clunky (camera controls were bugging me) and couldn't get into it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Speaking of this, I just played Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. Amazing levels and great humor as well. I had never even heard of this game until now. It's a short game but well worth it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Too bad Double Fine burned some good will with folks who felt the bait n' switch gameplay of Brutal Legend left a bad taste in their mouth (game looked like and was marketed as a hack n slash or Platformer type game, turned out to be a MOBA style RTS game).

Will patiently wait for a sale, as I always do, regardless of how much good press the game is getting up front.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If I never played the original is it worth getting this one? The fact that it doesn't support ultra wide I would have to get it on console. The level perspectives that I've seen from YouTubers streaming it looked really cool and trippy.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Anyone playing? I've been loving it.

- I will never buy any game new at full price, even Psychonauts 2.

6 months to a year, after some price drops and patches, maybe some DLC and a GOTY edition. I'm a big enough of a fan to pick it up at $15, maybe $20, but not big enough of a fan to buy it at full price right out the gate.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
- I will never buy any game new at full price, even Psychonauts 2.

6 months to a year, after some price drops and patches, maybe some DLC and a GOTY edition. I'm a big enough of a fan to pick it up at $15, maybe $20, but not big enough of a fan to buy it at full price right out the gate.
I'm playing it with Game Pass (I got 3 years of Gold and upgraded to Ultimate when I got my Xbox Series X).

I can also confirm that it is cross save between Xbox and PC.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I hardly ever buy at full price either, but may make an exception for this one. I didn't think we would ever get this game after the first one sold poorly.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
-Damn you crushed it. What would you say the run time is on the campaign?
My save is bugged out and says something like 76 hours, which I am guessing is probably related to the Xbox quick resume feature? One of my friends who also 100%ed it says it took him 24 hours to 100%. For just the campaign alone, I'd guess something like half that time.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Im contemplating activating one of my 3 month gamepass cards to play this game. I did the same for the Medium when it came out. But that's the only title I would be using it for so I also don't want to feel like I'm wasting it. I guess I could also try out The Ascent on PC too but I heard compared to the steam version it's not as up to date, maybe that's false by now.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Im contemplating activating one of my 3 month gamepass cards to play this game. I did the same for the Medium when it came out. But that's the only title I would be using it for so I also don't want to feel like I'm wasting it. I guess I could also try out The Ascent on PC too but I heard compared to the steam version it's not as up to date, maybe that's false by now.

In that case it might just be worth just paying for a month, which is what I'm doing. I can't imagine you'd have an issue finishing the game within a month, so it's like you'd be renting it at $5 for a full month. Pretty good deal IMO

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
In that case it might just be worth just paying for a month, which is what I'm doing. I can't imagine you'd have an issue finishing the game within a month, so it's like you'd be renting it at $5 for a full month. Pretty good deal IMO
Good point, it's been so long since I used my series X that I forgot you can just buy a month of gamepass to basically rent the game. I'll save the 3 month cards for when there are more titles I'd want to play at once and when I have more time too.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Good point, it's been so long since I used my series X that I forgot you can just buy a month of gamepass to basically rent the game. I'll save the 3 month cards for when there are more titles I'd want to play at once and when I have more time too.

I'm not sure if the Xbox version of game pass is that cheap, I use the PC only subscription. Still, shouldn't be too bad

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I did 100% on this too. Easily GOTY for me and actually surpasses the first game in some ways, which was a tall ask. The story has a more serious vibe this time but still manages to be funny, and the platforming and combat are smoother, with every psi power having its place against a particular type of enemy. The surreal levels and environments are the highlight again, and totally different from any other game. My favorite was Compton's Cookoff, the boss fight in it is hilarious. The last few levels reminded me of the final areas of Monkey Island 3 and 4. I wish there was a way to replay parts of levels though. It only saves to a single checkpoint and you can revisit areas, but without any of the scripted events or boss fights.