Psychology of drivers

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Try it next time you're at a red light. Stop about 1/2 a carlength behind the car ahead of you or the line if yous is the first car at the light. Then when there's a line of cars behind you, just edge forward a little then stop and watch the chain reaction behind you. Then edge forward a little more.

I don't know why, but most people will try to edge forward when you do. Its like they think they're gonna get to where they're going faster by edging forward with you. Or perhaps they're afraid someone may cut in front of them if they don't get closer to your bumper.:)

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I have a manual transmission. I'm not killing my clutch by edging forward.

Or perhaps their legs are tired from holding the brakes or the clutch in.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2
I have a manual transmission. I'm not killing my clutch by edging forward.
Same here. You won't get me to do that either. Sorry to spoil your fun cheapbidder01. :p

mandala

Dec 24, 2003
I don't know why, but most people will try to edge forward when you do.

Perhaps because having you sit that far back that means that cars behind them can't get into the turn lane.....

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The reason people do this subconsciously is because they need to keep occupied. Anything "new" will cause a reaction. It actually takes more thinking NOT to do it.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
It's just how your brain and your visual system works. You see nothing wrong in edge-ing forward, so you do it, then you realize that you didn't have to because the light is still red.
People pushing forward only inches at a time several times at the same stoplight would be pretty stupid, i agree. But moving forward half car-lengths or more is normal several times.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
lol, I know what you mean. I do this all the time. If you're driving auto all you need to do is depress the brake for just the shortest amount of time to turn the brake light off and cars will still move.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: ajpa123
It's just how your brain and your visual system works. You see nothing wrong in edge-ing forward, so you do it, then you realize that you didn't have to because the light is still red.
People pushing forward only inches at a time several times at the same stoplight would be pretty stupid, i agree. But moving forward half car-lengths or more is normal several times.

I've gotten the cars behind me to edge forward 4 times before the light turned green. Just edge forward, stop, wait and watch, edge forward again once the line stops and watch again, continued till the light turned green. People continue to fall for it without realizing what the heck they were doing.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: mandala
I don't know why, but most people will try to edge forward when you do.

Perhaps because having you sit that far back that means that cars behind them can't get into the turn lane.....

Yeah right, excuses for your behavior.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Pretty much the only time i'll stay as close as possible to the car in front of me is in heavy traffic.
I don't want to be the reason someone can't get out of a blocked intersection...