PSU With "Always On" Rails, Other Than +5VSB?

nvmarino

Jun 21, 2006
I have two devices (internal ATI Digital Cable Tuners) in my PC that need to continue to receive power when the PC goes in to standby. They are 5V and use the floppy-style connectors. I tried powering them from +5VSB and that works OK for one device but if I try to split the +5VSB rail and hook them both up the PC won't start (constantly reboots during startup). I'm assuming this is because the two cards are drawing too much power from the +5VSB rail.

So, does a PSU exist with additional "always on" rails that I can use, or any other suggestions? I've been thinking of using a PicoPSU with the power switch hard-wired but was hoping to find a more elegant solution. Right now I'm using a second PSU to work around...

By the way, an external version of this device is also available that has a dedicated power supply (connects to the PC via USB, as does the internal version for data). The power supply for the external unit is 5v, 4amp.

Thanks!

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Yep your problem is the 5VSBY is not able to put out allot of amperage. Its really not meant for more then allowing the motehrboard to power up and maybe a USB device charging.

Now there are some PSUs availible that give you USB ports on the back of the unit. This unit has one of the ports on a dedicated 5V rail for charging even when the system is off.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16817128015

As you can see the port offers a max of 1A. Now the PSU itself isn't the best of quality but should be able to handle a modest system. Its definatly not a good PSU for OCing and Gaming. There may be other PSUs with similer offerings so i'm sure you can make this work for you.