PSU to GPU Cable Extension Question

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Hi, I was hoping if someone could help me. I have a 8 and 6+2 pin cable extender question that I had recently bought. I have a 1070 Ti video card that has an 8 pin with a 6 pin port. However because of the tight fit of the mini-ITX case, the door is unable to shut because the connectors (the one that came with the PSU) are way to stiff for the door to shut. They stick out preventing the door from closing. And so I'm using the 8 pin and 6 pin extender which are very very flexible. The door closes and the build is finished. However I do have one major concern, since one of the 1070 Ti has a 6 pin port, is it safe to plug the PSU Y-Splitter 8 pin cord directly into the cable extender (8 pin port) THEN connect the other side *which is a 6+2 pin connector, of which I am only using 6 pins* into the 1070 port? Or do I need to REMOVE the 2 pins connecting from the PSU cord that goes into the extender which matches the 6 pin port that is on the 1070? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Does anyone know how can a person know the pinouts on this particular cable extension are compatible with this particular EVGA PSU? (link below). I know we are not supposed to mix different 8/6 pin cables from different manufacturers as this as the potential of frying every component in your build. Or does this only apply when you plug in any cable extension directly into the PSU itself and does not apply when you plug directly into the original PSU Y-Splitter. Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited:

Geven

Banned
May 15, 2023
I think it should be safe to plug the PSU Y-Splitter 8-pin cord directly into the cable extender (8-pin port) and then connect the other side, the 6+2 pin connector, into the 1070 port using only 6 pins. You don't need to remove the extra 2 pins. The cable extension should be designed to handle the power distribution correctly.