PSU - Thermaltake / XFX or other?

colorblind90

Jun 26, 2015
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around these parts for a while now but I never really needed any help, until now.

I am in a market for another workstation / gaming pc and I have everything much or less nailed down except the PSU.

Up to this point I was using a Thermaltake PSU that was THE BOMB. It survived "non-stable" current for like 4 years, operated under high temperatures and I am suspecting it lived through a lightning strike. It is still working flawlessly since 2008.

So the current choice is between Thermaltake and XFX though I am open to other suggestions (Corsair 650M sounds good to me aswell).

I'd like to go for a quality PSU with an emphasis on quality components. I don't plan on overtaxing the system and I am not that mindful about the power efficency. What I would like it to be though is that it's stable and can handle working semi-long hours. Extreme temperature is something I won't expose it to but you know... Summer!

The main usage for my machine is rendering (cca. 10hours per day) and gaming. Computer is usually on for near 18 hours each day.

The key specs are:
i7 4790k,
1x SSD,
3xHDD,
4 RAM modules,
AMD Fury X / nVidia 980 Ti
and 4 chassis fans.

With that in mind here is my current lineup of choice:
Thermaltake London 550W Semi-Modular
XFX TS650 650W

I'd really like to know what you guys think. Preferably I am in the range below 100EUR but if something reeks of quality then shelving a bit more will be possible.

I am really thankful for your help!

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
They're both decent but I'd take the XFX over the TT because of a little better quality capacitors and fan.

colorblind90

Jun 26, 2015
Thanks for chimming in mindless1!

The reviews are super scarce on these PSUs so I am having a really hard time deciding.

As far as I know both PSUs use the same type of capacitors, correct?

Anyway now I am contemplating the TT Paris 650W and the XFX TS 650W which appear to be virtually identical. Paris is actually larger and supposedly quieter which doesn't play a major role for me but still... That said, it is hard to get information on what both of these units use to protect the circuitry.

Are these PSUs even in the same market segment / class?

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No they don't use the same caps *everywhere*. Look at review (pictures) as I don't recall now what they were but the XFX had more polymer caps where the TT had electrolytic. I don't know anything about the TT Paris.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
XFX with Seasonic internals are nice. From the reviews I have read and discussions in the forum over the years, TT is junk. Congrats for getting a good model from them. I have had good success with Cooler Master and Antec over the years, and the higher-end Corsairs seem to do well.

Jeff007245

Aug 31, 2007
Go with XFX between the two.

Other notable brands are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Antec, Coolermaster. Ohh and Lepa has good deals.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
XFX with Seasonic internals are nice. From the reviews I have read and discussions in the forum over the years, TT is junk. Congrats for getting a good model from them. I have had good success with Cooler Master and Antec over the years, and the higher-end Corsairs seem to do well.

TT low end and midrange are below par but their upper end models compete well against better midrange units. Cooler Master is sort of the same except on average a little worse.

What I like about the XFX is they have some lower wattage models where you don't have to pay for 500W+ to get long life polymer caps, for systems that only needed a ~300W PSU otherwise.