PSU Solution for extreme high end?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I am a layman when it comes to electricity. I never understand how can people go 4xCF. I have multiple PC in my room and all sockets in my room appears to connect to one breaker. If I want to use 2 1000watt PSU + one 500 watt PSU, must I add a new line (or 2) to the main electricity box to avoid potential problems? Sorry for the mis-use for terminology.

I'm a layman when it comes to electricity too, but I do own a house. So, I've spent a little time at Lowe's and Home Depot. I probably know just enough to get myself electrocuted.

Even PCs with 1000W+ PSUs are seldom actually pushing close to that much wattage. However, it's pretty much a fact that if you draw too much current from your the wall you'll trip the breaker. The good news is that the breaker is there to prevent you from drawing too much current and burning the house down.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
But the thing with that is for the cost of this thing, you could buy a whole new good quality PSU. Also there's no way you're maxing out your HX520 unless you go SLI/X-Fire.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever run out of juice with single-GPU cards. And that's as high as I will go. I was never a fan of the dual-GPU cards :) But you never know... ;)

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
My APC only does 780 watts and my PS is 750 continuous so I like to keep it to 600 watt max draw. I only reach that in Cryostasis and surprisngly L4D1 and 2. That's with a 295, a 260 for physx and a i7 at 3.9. So a 750 watt PS is all most people need except for quad-SLI/Xfire and I guess for tri also you would want a little more headroom on your PS. 850 watts would be enough for that.

Last edited: