Question PSU Power wires going close to the SSD or HDD.

CapitainFlam88

Dec 21, 2023
I am building a Arcadia III casing (wow, no it's normal) I did not build with a new casing for a while now.
The PSU wires going close to the SSD or HDD. I wonder if any inductance will create problems to the SSD or HDD? My guess is no because of LOW voltage of most wires or there is 12v and maybe 24v.

My question #2 IS are all new casing like that => SSD/HDD very close to the PSU?

Question#3 Is the SSD cable can be close to cables coming out of the PSU.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes they can be close, no issues.

No, not all new cases cram things close together in a way you worry about. You choose your case and accept that choice... it really doesn't matter as long as everything gets the airflow it needs, and you wrote SSD "cable" so being an SATA, you can just about shoehorn/duct-tape/velcro/etc that anywhere, as long as it does not substantially block airflow to something else because itself, it needs practically none except in the worst of hot ambient temperatures.

HDD on the other hand, will benefit from at least a low amount of steady airflow past it whether near a passive intake or exhaust case *hole*, or an active one with a fan on/near it. You can simply build and test temperature if unsure...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
The only things I'd consider with wires being close to SSDs or HDDs would be:
1) trying to not have things so bunched up that there is 0 airflow around them (though, as mindless1 points out, SATA SSDs are pretty robust)
2) don't have cords so bunched up that they will put pressure on the connectors

I wouldn't worry about the power cables messing with your data through the induced magnetic field created by electricity running through the wire.