PSU or SDD Issue?

Reven

May 18, 2001
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help with some weird issues with either my PSU or SDDs. I recently made a new Ryzen build, but kept my old PSU and SSDs from about 5 years ago.

PSU: Corsair TX 650
SSD1: Crucial M4 120gb

Nothing fancy otherwise, Ryzen 1700, 8gb RAM, Samsung 960-M1, Samsung 840, 1tb HDD and a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti.

I'm facing two problems:

1. Occasionally when I boot up, I get an error saying "connect PCIe power cable(s) to graphics card". Generally I just have to open my case and replug my 6-pin and 8-pin connectors once or twice and then it boots up fine. I have had no issues gaming so far. (I have had the occasional game crash, but who doesnt?)
  2. I've had both of the two old SSDs not show up in Windows. Normally they were fine, but when booting up the Crucial M4 was not 'initializing'. I checked disk management and when I tried to initialize it said it was missing a file. When I went into my case and re-plugged everything it booted fine.

What do you think the problem is here?

I've done SMART checks on the SSDs and they show healthy. I did occasionally have issues with the M4 so maybe the SSDs are dying. On the other hand, the occasional issues booting up make me think the PSU is old? I used a PSU calculator and even with serious degradation I thought my 650wt would be enough though?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Old PSU from five years ago? Replace it, if you can afford to. The message about your GPU needing it's supplimental power connectors plugged in is a sign, I think, of lack of proper power. So is the lack of initialization of your older SSDs.

Are you overclocking, at all?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
^Agree.

That PSU is dated. As they age, the capacitors lose capacity and the unit is unable to provide the full load it is rated to.

Not many reviews on that unit, but the one I saw linked to on JonnyGuru was from 2008 :eek:. The ATX spec has changed a little bit since then, so it could even be that.

$40 after MIR Seasonic M12II 620w I saw on Slickdeals:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=SeaSonic_M12II_620-_-17-151-095-_-Product

Reactions: Reven

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, just a note, too... SSDs really need good, solid, clean power. Unstable power can cause them to glitch out and have errors.

Reven

May 18, 2001
No OC yet, though I was planning to.

Thanks for the slick deals link, just purchased the new PSU. thanks!

Reactions: Malogeek

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
5 years is perfectly fine for a PSU, though it definitely looks like yours was giving up.

I just replaced my old Enermax Infinity which was 11 years old with a new Season Platinum. Corsair really good brand as well but everything wears out eventually, some sooner than later.

Seasonic Prime have a 12 year warranty :)

Reven

May 18, 2001
I'm running into some of the old problems even with the new PSU. Can anyone help?

No more instability with the GPU or the the video. However I still sometimes get a Windows 10 blue screen, this time with a 'page fault in non paged area'. I rebooted my PC up and my Marvel SSD is not showing up. I have an 'unknown device' in disk manager under disk drives instead.

EDIT: Rebooted and when I went to disk management it asked me to initialize a disk before disk manager can access it. Initializing does nothing.

Also random, but booting up windows takes a long time (extra 5-10 seconds) at the blue windows logo. Only mentioning it since with my 960 evo it used to be really fast.

EDIT2: Replugged the SATA cables for all the drives. Now the M4 SSD is there. Windows booted up super quickly.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sata cables going bad perhaps. Possibly the orienation on the board or the tightness or the cable is not keeping a good connection there.

Reven

May 18, 2001
OK will try that. Is there a way to do a health check or status beyond waiting for instability?

EDIT: Opened my case and realised I'm already using a new SATA cable from my mobo. Switched it anyway, but doubt that was the issue? I occasionally had this problem before with my old build (same SSD, new everything else).

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
OK will try that. Is there a way to do a health check or status beyond waiting for instability?

EDIT: Opened my case and realised I'm already using a new SATA cable from my mobo. Switched it anyway, but doubt that was the issue? I occasionally had this problem before with my old build (same SSD, new everything else).

It's that 120GB SSD. Have you tried using the system with it unplugged for a while? I'm assuming the 960 Evo is your primary SSD?