Question PSU died and motherboard cant totally shutdown. What broke what?

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Im having a weird problem, again. My PC suddenly sutdwon a week ago and it couldnt start again. Fans just mov a bit and thats all. A friend checked PSU (EVGA, 500W) with same problem (when turned on the fan moved a bit but no more), and fixed it, but when I put it back in my PC, the motherboard and PSU fans starts with only connect power, but no video or any beep. My boss gave me a PSU to test and now my PC starts correctly, but found a weird problem: the motherboard (ASUS Prime b365) led line keep slowly blinking when I shutdown the system, videocard/cpu fans stop, but PSU fans keep spinning until I physically cut the power. Any idea about whats happening here, or how to solve it? Should Iprepare to see another motherboard die soon? This motherboard can damage the PSU if I buy a new one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
now my PC starts correctly, but found a weird problem: the motherboard (ASUS Prime b365) led line keep slowly blinking when I shutdown the system, videocard/cpu fans stop, but PSU fans keep spinning until I physically cut the power. Any idea about whats happening here, or how to solve it? Should Iprepare to see another motherboard die soon?
No, that's hybrid shutdown in Windows in action. Try searching for "power plan", click "Edit Power Plan", save, on the left side of the window, click "Chsnge what buttons do", click advanced, and then UN-check "Allow Fast Startup", and then reboot, then power off, and see if the PC doesn't fully shut down and power off that time.

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
No, that's hybrid shutdown in Windows in action. Try searching for "power plan", click "Edit Power Plan", save, on the left side of the window, click "Chsnge what buttons do", click advanced, and then UN-check "Allow Fast Startup", and then reboot, then power off, and see if the PC doesn't fully shut down and power off that time.
I will check, but I usually disable that. but, is it normal that the PSU fan keeps spinning? What if I leave 2-3 days?

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Just check right now. I reinstalled a couple f months ago so I forgot to disable Fast startup. Disabled it but I still get the same. The PSU fan spins, the motherboard led blinks.

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Just check right now. I reinstalled a couple f months ago so I forgot to disable Fast startup. Disabled it but I still get the same. The PSU fan spins, the motherboard led blinks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There may be a BIOS setting for "Fast Startup" as well. I usually set it to "Disable". Might check that, if you've clearly disabled it inside of Windows, and it's still acting that way.

Otherwise, it could be your board.

Edit: Also, double-check your PSU manual, some PSUs run their fans for several minutes after power-off, to continue to cool the PSU, rather than cut the cooling as soon as you cut power.

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
There may be a BIOS setting for "Fast Startup" as well. I usually set it to "Disable". Might check that, if you've clearly disabled it inside of Windows, and it's still acting that way.

Otherwise, it could be your board.

Edit: Also, double-check your PSU manual, some PSUs run their fans for several minutes after power-off, to continue to cool the PSU, rather than cut the cooling as soon as you cut power.
By pure chance I found the Fast startup optin in BIOS, but that didnt solved the problem neither. Im thinking that it is the motherboard. Will try to remove the battery and see what happens.
I have no way to see the PSU manual, it is just one that my boss got from a friend, and kept it here as backup plan. I can use it for a few days until I get a new one.