PSU causing random reboot?

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Ok so I think my corsair HX750 is the source of my rare PC reboots. I just had my PC random reboot (while just websurfing, normal cpu temps) for the first time in almost a month. I thought I had solved the problem. The problem started when I installed it last month with a new video card (asus ti 560) after having an hx520w psu with a 7950gt vid card that had no power problems. Not long before that I updated to win7 SP1.

The main errors I get are

Kernel Power (event ID 41):
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

and usually around the same time I see this in the event viewer:

Winit (ID 11)
"Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications." -

That one might be related to avg antivirus software errors. Not sure yet.

Any ideas or recommendations on a PSU? I might try the old 520w and see if that has the same problems. Think it could handle the new video card?

Thanks.

sjong1

Jan 2, 2010
The 520 should be able to handle a 560ti. You should take advantage of Corsair's awesome warranty service on that 750 to be safe.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Thats mean hsf on the Asus-560ti.
I dout its your ps its to good.
Winit (ID 11)
"Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications

below is from quick search
Your winit Winit (ID 11 is a ? wini.t exe is a Trojan/Virus.

winit.exe Added by the W32/Sdbot-CSB worm and IRC backdoor.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/winit.exe-5976.html

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/w/winit.exe.htm

My win 7/64 doesnt seem to have a winit.exe

Lets hope i am wrong.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Interesting, thanks for the info guys. I'll see if its a nasty causing the problems. I use avg and malwarebytes often and nothing had been picked up. There did appear to be some problems with remnants of super antispyware program last month. I'll run spybot again.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Well, hell... just had it power down and attempt to reboot 8 times before it finally loaded windows7. It appears the cpu fan doesnt start turning right away either. Definately seems like a power supply problem or loose cable.

The system would boot up, then stop, then start trying to reboot. Scans earlier showed no signs of problems there.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
The system would boot up, then stop, then start trying to reboot.
The system may have loaded the bios defaults by now.
Recheck your bios settings memery voltage etc. and correct if needed.
When a system hangs on post odds are its a memory problem.{cpu fan off and on}

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Im having the same problem or worse now. I got the system to power back up and boot up with the old video card installed after letting the system sit for about an hour. It finally seemed to get power to the mobo and go after multiple presses. Would a faulty case power switch cause the system to randomly power down and not power up?

The system seems stable with the 7950gt but if I put in a 550ti or 560ti vid card (evga and asus) it flips out within an hour or maybe a few days. Two different power supples and same problem. Its got to be mobo setting or problem I think.