JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
In the past 4 years, I have replaced my the SAME 160 gig samsung drive 3 times.

Tonight, it lagged my entire system, crashed it, rebooted. Poor windows tried to sort the fvcked indexes, but even that ended in utter failure.

This baby gets a few M-80s tomorrow.

cliffs:
-DON'T PURCHASE SAMSUNG HARD DRIVES

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Yeah..had a Samsung Spinpoint back in the day. From day one, constant clicking and had issues finding data quickly.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
I've had something like two dozen Samsung drives over the last few years, not one complaint. Heck, I have two in this computer right now, one of them is about 3 years old, still going strong.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Steve
PSA: One or two people have had some bad luck with one brand name. Therefore, nobody should buy their products ever.

Hold on, lemme log into a new account and post..that'll be three. (I kid Mods)

FrozenCanadian

Dec 19, 2005
PSA: One or two people have had some bad luck with one brand name. Therefore, nobody should buy their products ever.

I went through 4 Samsung CD-Roms in a year and my 5th is ready for dead so don't totally dismiss there problems. Like I said there HDD's work fine.

Just to clarify they were all replacement CD-Roms under warranty. I will never ever buy a samsung DVD or CD player/burner but my next HDD could be a samsung.

Edit: one of the cd drives shot a piece of Diablo 2 LOD out so fast I'd be dead it I didn't sit 1 foot from it.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

my thoughts exactly

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
never had any problems with mine. Nidec motor for nice quiet seeking and idle noise.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
mine works well. but there's something wrong with the connector that causes the HD to be not recognized at times requireing me to jiggle the connector around a bit. these SATA connectors are neat but they feel unreliable.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: FrozenCanadian
Edit: one of the cd drives shot a piece of Diablo 2 LOD out so fast I'd be dead it I didn't sit 1 foot from it.

On the plus side, that would have made for a unique obituary.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Hmm, I have a 500GB Samsung that I got about 6 months ago. Has worked fine so far.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
PSA: every drive brand has people with stories like this.

Objectively, Samsung hard drives are the best design for low noise, low heat, and low power use. Look at StorageReview.com and SilentPCReview coverage of them.

They are not less reliable than other brands, and I've not seen any wave of posts of similar experiences, like there was with Maxtor a few years ago or when Seagate seemed to hit an unreliable patch a couple of years ago.

I've had a Samsung drive fail myself after a couple of years, but I've also had Maxtor, Hitachi drives die too. Almost all drives fail eventually if you use them daily.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Objectively, Samsung hard drives are the best design for low noise, low heat, and low power use. Look at StorageReview.com and SilentPCReview coverage of them.

They are not less reliable than other brands, and I've not seen any wave of posts of similar experiences, like there was with Maxtor a few years ago or when Seagate seemed to hit an unreliable patch a couple of years ago.

I've had a Samsung drive fail myself after a couple of years, but I've also had Maxtor, Hitachi drives die too. Almost all drives fail eventually if you use them daily.

Actually research by Google and CMU have showed that heat and workload have no correlation at all to fail rates. They didnt however name any specific brands or models for exceptionally high failure rates, they did however say that some brands failed significantly more than others.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Actually research by Google and CMU have showed that heat and workload have no correlation at all to fail rates.

Yes, but didn't they also keep the tested temperatures within "acceptable temperature ranges"? I recall reading their report, and then talking with several other people about how it wasn't as conclusive as many thought...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Actually research by Google and CMU have showed that heat and workload have no correlation at all to fail rates.

Yes, but didn't they also keep the tested temperatures within "acceptable temperature ranges"? I recall reading their report, and then talking with several other people about how it wasn't as conclusive as many thought...

Well its pretty obvious that any device is going to fail if its running at 130C...

Lets compare Kia and Lexus by seeing how they run after being dropped from an plane @ 35000 feet.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Aluvus
Originally posted by: FrozenCanadian

On the plus side, that would have made for a unique obituary.

Rofl.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this reminds me of when people were screaming bloody murder about this one model of WDC drive (1GB back in 1997) and WDC was good enough to replace everybody's with the updated 2-platter verison of the drive.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Actually research by Google and CMU have showed that heat and workload have no correlation at all to fail rates. They didnt however name any specific brands or models for exceptionally high failure rates, they did however say that some brands failed significantly more than others.

yup
http://www.dansdata.com/gz075.htm

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Dunno, could be a bad PSU giving crappy voltages. Could be a bad HDD controller corrupting data. All because you keep replacing it with the same type of drive doesn't 100% mean its the drives fault. Maybe there is case vibration, maybe heat builds up there, the list goes on.