PSA: Your ring tone is NOT cool

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have heard cell phones ring during lectures. My ECON professor told us the 1st day that if he heard a phone ring, you had to leave the class and go home. Quite a few people had to leave during the semester, including 1 dipshit when his phone rang during a test.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have the background music from Doom as my ring tone because I am uber-leet. Rather humourously, the phone actually plays the music a lot better than my old PC did.

Sadly I only get to hear it at home, because my phone is kept switched off at work.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
I have to agree with you. Some ringtones are way overdone, and become just lame.

I think (read hope) I borderline that with my "Bitter Sweet Symphony" ;)

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I use a default ringer on my phone with the volume up as high as it goes. It's still not really loud, which is a bummer. I have a convertible and wind noise gets in the way of hearing the ringer. If I set it to vibrate, I won't hear it unless the phone is on me. I have no option to set ringer/vibrate.

Cell phones aren't allowed in my room @ work. :p

Honkus

Jan 3, 2003
So I was listening to a Brahms symphony the other day, and in the middle of the third movement I leaned over to the guy and yelled "ANSWER YOUR GOD DAMN PHONE!"

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
mine only makes a tone when i won't be able to feel the vibrating, like if i'm driving and have it on the seat next to me, with the heatset sitting in my lap. other than that, it's always vibrate.

edit: and my ring is just a sample of an old telephone ringing, so no crappy melodies.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i dont understand why others cant use vibrate either... especially when in a CLASSROOM!!! my god, the cell phone novelty is gone.. its a common item.. how hard is it to switch phone modes before you go to school in the morning?

1-year ban on anybody whose phone rings during a class

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I turn my phone OFF when I go to the movies or when I went to class. It's easier than switching the phone into vibrate mode, and I know I'm not THAT important that whoever needed to talk to me wouldn't leave a message and I could call them back later.

If I WAS expecting a call and I was in a theater, dinner, meeting, etc., I'd take the 10 seconds to switch into vibrate mode.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I usually have mine on vibrate but how can you pass up having Metallica's Master of Puppets play in Midi or MP3 format once in a while?

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
I don't even use a cellphone.

But if I did, I would SO use a polyphonic midi ringtone :D

Though I'd keep it quiet, having it loud would just be irritating and embarassing.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Your ring tone is NOT cool.
You are not special because everyone around you has to hear a MIDI version of Beethoven everytime somecalls you.
You are not cool for having a phone that says, "you have an incoming call" instead of ringing.
You are not cool for turning up your ring volume so you can hear it while standing next to a jet engine.
You are not cool if anyone but you knows your cell phone is ringing when you are at the office.

WTF is wrong with people? Silence your goddam phone when you are at work especially when you are in meetings!

that is all...

Someones repressed....
No seriously, #5 is a load of crap, in a cube youd have to have one heck of a quiet ringer to not be heard by anyone else.

Of all the things to complain about this is what gets your knickers in a bunch?
Must be nice. Or maybe your just not looking hard enough :)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BalthazarNo seriously, #5 is a load of crap, in a cube youd have to have one heck of a quiet ringer to not be heard by anyone else.
That's the point. Set it to vibrate...

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Vibrate doesn't do much good for me as I carry my phone in my purse. Sorry if I'm not cool because mine rings out loud with a tune. I learned to live with uncool a long time ago. :)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
It's amazing how many people are responding without reading my OP.

I am talking about being in the office and in meetings people!

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
It's amazing how many people are responding without reading my OP.

Hmmm... I read your OP and, while you may have meant it to be all about office etiquette, that isn't what it says. You don't even mention office until after you've told us 4 different ways that having ring tones is not cool and none of the 4 have anything to do with work. Even the title doesn't say "Your ring tone is NOT cool at work."

Sorry if I failed to assume that the last sentence rant was supposed to be retroactive to all the earlier statements. :( Thank you for explaining.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: gotsmack
Originally posted by: Mwilding
You are not cool for having a phone that says, "you have an incoming call" instead of ringing.
Which phone does that?
my friend has a motorola t7xx and the phone came with that "ringer".

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: DaWhim
same here, but my ringtone is mp3 ringtone, so i should be an exclusion. :D
same, my phone plays mp3's. but i still just use a regular ringer. but for laughs i did put a couple mp3's on there, but never use them as ringers.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Cell phones are the cigarettes of this century...someday, they will be banned in theaters, restaurants and other public places. I can't wait. Paramedics, Doctors and firefighters may be the exception, everyone else can just freakin wait till they get home to see who called.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I theme my phone. Currently the wallpaper is Empire Records and the ringer belts out "If you want blood - you've got it" by AC/DC