Announcement PSA: You need a Torque driver for Thread Ripper + EYPC

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Doe.... wish someone told me you needed a Torque driver to mount the CPU on these guys.
@Markfw wish you mentioned this. :eek:

I got a few parts coming in, and now i need to order a torque driver so i can torque the cpu plate and heatsink @ 14lbs/in according to stat, because i hear they no longer include the orange driver with the cpu.

So yeah.... if any of you guys decide to get one second hand, have a torque driver ready as well.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
You build PCs and have no torque driver? o_O I'm active in repair cafés (which often feels lower tech than PCs) and having a well sorted driver bits set is like a basic requirement. ;)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You build PCs and have no torque driver? I'm active in repair cafés (which often feels lower tech than PCs) and having a well sorted driver bits set is like a basic requirement. ;)
But its a torque wrench. You turn it until it clicks, just like the expensive torque wrenches. Preset at 13.3 inch pounds.

Reactions: Tlh97 and moinmoin

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Nice! That I wasn't aware of indeed, thanks.
Just FYI, this same thing applies al ALL Threadripper and EPYC chips. To clarify, ALL socket TR4 and SP3 cpus'. And probably the sTRX4 and the sWRX8 chips. I have like 6 of these, but 3 is all I could find in a flash.....

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Nice! That I wasn't aware of indeed, thanks.

you and me both... lol... luckily all my parts will arrive probably next week, so im excited.
i have a drill with torque settings on it, but i don't know what setting is 14lbs/in.
I don't want to take a gamble on a 1000 dollar cpu, and i hear if its not properly torque'd and have even mounting pressure across the cpu, you will run into memory errors. Worse off i max populated the ram slots, so im using all 8, so that means i have 8 points where it can fail unless its properly mounted.

I finally get to play with a EYPC, which ive been craving to play with.
I wanted a ThreadRipper Pro 5000 series, but that was more like something laughing at me like this when i thought the price was going to be much lower then what i thought it would be.

This will probably end up as my new server for the whole house, as well as my plex server, and encoding box for movies i buy on original BR disks.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So i thought it would be rude to not post the final product after i got everything together.
Its being dry tested, meaning not in case, no accessories, no add in cards to make sure it validates and it stable.
For those of you who are curious on how i burn in my PC's to test.

I do these:

1. I run Memtest for at least 12 hours.... make sure it passes.
2. I then install Windows
3. I then will a Blender, and see how well it renders.
4. I will then run a Handbrake and see how well the chip encodes.
5. Once all is done, i will throw in my P2200 and then run a plex Transcoding session, to see if the PCI-E lanes are working properly.

I am at about 2 right now... just passed Memtest last night, and i installed windows.
I will probably not share 3-4-5 as you can guys see the many billion others on the EYPC's performance.

But a little bit of spec info.
Board: Supermicro X11SSL-i
CPU: 7601 EYPC 32 core. -128 x PCI-E Lanes.... WOOP~!
Memory: 8 x 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg. 2133Mhz. Samsung IC's
SSD: TeamXtreme Pro 512GB (OS Drive) + 4 x Samsung 980 PRO 2TB (this will be as an addon 4xnVME card because i got a gazillion PCI-E lanes now to burn... and now im slot limited and not Lane limited)

Obligation Pictures:
20221018_150049.jpg

20221018_150241.jpg

And yes i made sure to torque the CPU Socket down with the proper Threadripper/EYPC tool.
Serious tools for Serious hardware.... (in a serious looking face) :cool:

No but seriously, this is the first time i had to buy a special tool to mount a CPU ever in my life....
And no i do not recommend anyone to mount a Threadripper or EYPC without the tool.
Spend the 12-15 dollars on ebay and buy one if you do not have it.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Or maybe 2 of these ? Do PCIE lanes double with 2 sockets ??

Mark@mark-dual-7763:/var/lib/boinc$ lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 256
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-255
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 64
Socket(s): 2
NUMA node(s): 2
Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
CPU family: 25
Model: 1
Model name: AMD Eng Sample: 100-000000314-04_30/16_N
Stepping: 0
Frequency boost: enabled
CPU MHz: 2281.898
CPU max MHz: 1600.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 3200.10
Virtualization: AMD-V
L1d cache: 4 MiB
L1i cache: 4 MiB
L2 cache: 64 MiB
L3 cache: 512 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-63,128-191
NUMA node1 CPU(s): 64-127,192-255
Vulnerability Itlb multihit: Not affected
Vulnerability L1tf: Not affected
Vulnerability Mds: Not affected
Vulnerability Meltdown: Not affected
Vulnerability Mmio stale data: Not affected
Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Vulnerability Spectre v1: Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2: Mitigation; Retpolines, IBPB conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP always-on, RSB filling,
PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
Vulnerability Srbds: Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort: Not affected
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc r
ep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse
3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf
_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw i
bs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb c
at_l3 cdp_l3 invpcid_single hw_pstate ssbd mba ibrs ibpb stibp vmmcall fsgsbase
bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb sha_n
i xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_loc
al clzero irperf xsaveerptr wbnoinvd arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale
vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold v_vmsave_vmload vgi
f umip pku ospke vaes vpclmulqdq rdpid overflow_recov succor smca
mark@mark-dual-7763:/var/lib/boinc$

• Wow
Reactions: nicalandia

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Or maybe 2 of these ? Do PCIE lanes double with 2 sockets ??

they do but you still run into the physical limitation on slots.
Unless you have a board with 8 x 16 x PCI-E slots, even a single EYPC will make you hit physical slot limitations faster then actual lanes.

Example is my board has 3 16x + 3 8x = total of 72 physical lanes.
I believe the ASUS WRX80 PRO Sage has 7 x 16x PCI-E 4.0 lanes, for a total of 112, and that still doesn't max out the lanes on a ThreadRipper Pro.

The board would be need to be obnoxiously long to handle the physical slots, and at that point its not longer a home server but a real customized enterprise server.

Also i think at most i'll probably use 64 lanes.... 16 on video card... 20 on nVME's, 8 on the intel X540 10gbe + 8 on the Raid Controller = 52... i guess to be exact.

This is also why i am stuck on HEDT. I NEED THOSE DARN PCI-E LANES... more then intel's 48... but less then a Threadripper Pro's 128.
I wish they gave us 64 lanes.... 64 is like the perfect number to the math above.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
they do but you still run into the physical limitation on slots.
Unless you have a board with 8 x 16 x PCI-E slots, even a single EYPC will make you hit physical slot limitations faster then actual lanes.

Example is my board has 3 16x + 3 8x = total of 72 physical lanes.
I believe the ASUS WRX80 PRO Sage has 7 x 16x PCI-E 4.0 lanes, for a total of 112, and that still doesn't max out the lanes on a ThreadRipper Pro.

The board would be need to be obnoxiously long to handle the physical slots, and at that point its not longer a home server but a real customized enterprise server.

Also i think at most i'll probably use 64 lanes.... 16 on video card... 20 on nVME's, 8 on the intel X540 10gbe + 8 on the Raid Controller = 52... i guess to be exact.

This is also why i am stuck on HEDT. I NEED THOSE DARN PCI-E LANES... more then intel's 48... but less then a Threadripper Pro's 128.
I wish they gave us 64 lanes.... 64 is like the perfect number to the math above.
Too bad I did not know before. I have 2 7601's and a motherboard FS.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

12 bux

yup just to mount and unmount the cpu... lol.
The heatsink i just used my drill on the 2 torque setting like i do it on intel heatsinks.
Usually when it threads down, you just need a bit more torque to make sure it doesn't unscrew itself from fan vibration.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
yup just to mount and unmount the cpu... lol.
The heatsink i just used my drill on the 2 torque setting like i do it on intel heatsinks.
Usually when it threads down, you just need a bit more torque to make sure it doesn't unscrew itself from fan vibration.

Given the size of the chip, I don't think it is a bad design. They should keep shipping the tool with the chip though.

Last edited: