PSA: The Eagles planned for Kennedy Center honors in January

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you aren't familiar with the Kennedy Center annual honors, they're great. They honor about six artists annually.

Tribute speeches are given, the President attends (and gropes the good looking ones if it's trump), and for music, tributes are played by guest musicians that are generally wonderful.

For example, Les Zeppelin was honored last time, and an incredible version of Stairway to Heaven was played by Heart and others that brought Zeppelin to tears. Watch it.

This January, it's planned for The Eagles to be honored. I look forward to the show.

I like fewer Eagles songs than most people, but like some quite a bit.

My top song has to be "Hotel California" - if you haven't heard the new intro they added in a live show later, treat yourself at the link below. But right up there just below is "I Can't Tell You Why".

Those Shoes - another great one.

I've never been a fan of their country flavor songs, I don't fawn over Desperado the way women seem to,
The Long Run I find kind of grating. But what amazing songs the ones above are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ymrG2VMmw

Another new intro!

https://rutube.ru/video/d7129740b6972c2ed72e7489e19e8c29/

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The Eagles were awesome. Its cool not to like them these days because they didn't binge everything. And people think it gives them street cred if they only listen to musicians that binge drink, sex, drugs, and attend Andy Warhol parties.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I do not think the Stones have ever been put in, they were probably more Influential in the past than the Eagles.

James Taylor is getting a nod though also it looks.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've never been that big a fan of the Stones. Though today for the heck of it I modified the lyrics to Sympathy for the Devil (probably one of their two best songs with Gimme Shelter, both great) to fit trump and didn't have to change many words.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've never been that big a fan of the Stones. Though today for the heck of it I modified the lyrics to Sympathy for the Devil (probably one of their two best songs with Gimme Shelter, both great) to fit trump and didn't have to change many words.

Most people these days have not heard 95% of the Stones songs,but they were always the 3 chord wonders and lifted a lot.

But Zep lifted a lot also, and The Beatles and Hendrix or The Doors are not on the list either.

Personally, as far as California Bands go I'd think The Doors would be more appropriate, but they do honor people that are still alive or what would be the point to begin with.

It is not the R&R hall of fame of course.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Most people these days have not heard 95% of the Stones songs,but they were always the 3 chord wonders and lifted a lot.

I might describe them as attitude with noise. But that wouldn't quite be fair. But they'd be on my overrated list. No one has commented on the alternate Hotel California intros?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Are they still a thing without Glenn Frey?

Hey, The Eagles are one of my guilty pleasures. My tastes usually go toward much harder rock. Plus too Joe Walsh is the man.

EDIT: saw them in '77 or '78 I think at the Olympia (where the Red Wings played).

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Are they still a thing without Glenn Frey?

Hey, The Eagles are one of my guilty pleasures. My tastes usually go toward much harder rock. Plus too Joe Walsh is the man.

EDIT: saw them in '77 or '78 I think at the Olympia (where the Red Wings played).

They're without Don Felder too. Basically, it's just Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmit at this point. Without Glenn Frey they can't perform half their catalog really.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I don't personally hate the Eagles myself, but they were more or less the McDonalds of popular music for a long time.

There is no doubt they produced a lot of hit songs that were not ripped off, I'll give them credit for that.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
They're without Don Felder too. Basically, it's just Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt at this point. Without Glenn Frey they can't perform half their catalog really.
Yeah, but they're without Felder, because the rest of the group thinks he's an asshole. He was kicked out a few years ago.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
About time the Eagles got their due. Without them Sauron would have won the battle for Middle Earth and we wouldn't be here.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
About time the Eagles got their due. Without them Sauron would have won the battle for Middle Earth and we wouldn't be here.
If they had played New Kid in Town, Eru would have leveled Middle Earth again just to make it stop.