PSA: Second-hand smoke does NOT cause cancer

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I had actually forgotten all about this till I saw an episode of Pen& Teller's Bullshit. The big study in the early 90s that really blew the lid of smoking said it found a non-statistically significant risk associated with inhalation of 2nd hand smoke. For people that never took stats that means the study could not determine if the risk actually came from 2nd hand smoke or something else. This did not stop the media from throwing more blame on cigarette companies. They also continue to cite the risks, even doctors do it, despite the fact that study after study after study has found no elevated risk from inhaling 2nd hand smoke. There has never been a study which has found a statistically significant link between 2nd hand smoke and any form of disease.

edit: The point of the Penn & Teller bullshit episode was even the surgeon general is quoting piss-poor faulted statistics. It's like a game to see who can condemn smokers the most, and if you cut them ANY slack, you're satan.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
meh.. im sure with continued exposure over a long period of time it does, but either way, I think the people that bitch about second hand smoke and use that as an excuse need to get a life.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: bignateyk
meh.. im sure with continued exposure over a long period of time it does, but either way, I think the people that bitch about second hand smoke and use that as an excuse need to get a life.

I think smokers who subject others to their smoke need to DIAF.

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
OP just got told by the surgeon general.... I agree I quit going to a couple of my friends houses who smoke indoors...

I get a runny nose and headaches if I stay over there too long and just roast in second hand smoke

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ironwing

QFT. Or TPAD!!!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Accipiter22

that was the point of the Penn & Teller bullshit episode, even the surgeon general is quoting piss-poor faulted statistics. It's like a game to see who can condemn smokers the most, and if you cut them ANY slack, you're satan.

Sounds reasonable. Smokers who subject others to their smoke deserve no slack.

Mackie2k

May 18, 2000
www.windowsintune.com
I had actually forgotten all about this till I saw an episode of Pen& Teller's Bullshit. The big study in the early 90s that really blew the lid of smoking said it found a non-statistically significant risk associated with inhalation of 2nd hand smoke. For people that never took stats that means the study could not determine if the risk actually came from 2nd hand smoke or something else. This did not stop the media from throwing more blame on cigarette companies. They also continue to cite the risks, even doctors do it, despite the fact that study after study after study has found no elevated risk from inhaling 2nd hand smoke. There has never been a study which has found a statistically significant link between 2nd hand smoke and any form of disease.

No Stank you.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005

that was the point of the Penn & Teller bullshit episode, even the surgeon general is quoting piss-poor faulted statistics. It's like a game to see who can condemn smokers the most, and if you cut them ANY slack, you're satan.

why? it smells nice and has no ill effects

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

hurry up and take another puff, maybe if you smokers would puff a little more, you could not make it to 65 and help safe social security! how much does lung cancer cost medicare these days?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: erub

hurry up and take another puff, maybe if you smokers would puff a little more, you could not make it to 65 and help safe social security! how much does lung cancer cost medicare these days?

I don't smoke. I think it's disgusting

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
i don't need some statistical analysis for me to know that when I am in a room with smokers I feel terrible afterwards and my clothes stink. Smoke isn't good for you.... I don't care what the statistics say

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

QFT

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

why? it smells nice and has no ill effects

Quote some sources non-"piss-poor faulted statistics" because every study I've read that's conducted by an independent group has confirmed that first-hand smoke and second-hand smoke are terrible for you.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
It really annoys me when people hate on my smoking - if you don't like it, then fvck off somewhere else, it's that simple.

Walking down a city street you inhale more smoke and harmful chemicals than sitting next to a smoker anyway, but no one complains about that, no - those are socially acceptable carcinogens.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Atheus
It really annoys me when people hate on my smoking - if you don't like it, then fvck off somewhere else, it's that simple.

Walking down a city street you inhale more smoke and harmful chemicals than sitting next to a smoker anyway, but no one complains about that, no - those are socially acceptable carcinogens.

What socially acceptable carcinogens?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
i don't need some statistical analysis for me to know that when I am in a room with smokers I feel terrible afterwards and my clothes stink.

I had to room with a smoker for one quarter in college. Because of the smoke, I stunk, my clothes stunk, my books stunk...even my computer stunk (and I could never get that smell out of my computer - I even had to sell it to a smoker more than two years later!).

Being around smokers is like being around people with terrible BO, it's rude and they are imposing their disgusting lifestyle on the unwilling people around them, only the smell of smoke follows you afterwards (i.e. smoking is worse than having bad BO - at least you get get away from the BO and leave it behind).

I am not "sensitive" to smoke, nor do I base my opinion on whether or not smoking causes cancer: It stinks.

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Atheus

If you were smoking already and they sat down next to you, then I agree with you.

If they were there first or you were not smoking when they got there, then it is you who should probably fvck off somewhere else.

MotionMan

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't care if it causes cancer. I just think it's very rude to smoke indoors around non-smokers. Do you think we all want our clothes to smell like cigarette smoke?

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Why would anyone think that inhaling somke from five feet away is any different than inhaling smoke from the end of a cig?