PSA: Restaurants......

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
THIS is shortcake.
It is not biscuit. Even though its made like biscuit.

The next time you try to substitute biscuit for shortcake I will burn your fucking building down.

Also, please try to have more than just a whole strawberry sitting on top of the cake. Ideally you will slice the strawberries and mix them into the cake in a manner that is tongue pleasing if not visually stimulating.

Thank you and good night.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Don't be mad. :(

strawberry_shortcake_with_basket.gif

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Doesn't matter in this context. Shortcake is not a biscuit under either definition and Shorty is correct to be all righteous.

I don't really know what a shortcake is, I just assumed it meant shortbread.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
And in that, you'd be wrong. Didn't you click on the link?

I did, and I don't understand how that could be swapped for anything other than what it is. When he said it was swapped for a biscuit, I assumed he meant the shortbread / biscuity part of the cake...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I did, and I don't understand how that could be swapped for anything other than what it is. When he said it was swapped for a biscuit, I assumed he meant the shortbread / biscuity part of the cake...
No, like Sysco branded versions of these.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
NO, that is not a shortcake. That is a shortcake with whipped cream, strawberry jelly, and strawberries on top. REAL shortcake only has three ingredients: Sugar, Butter, and Flour. NOTHING ELSE IS REQUIRED FOR TRUE SHORTCAKE.

<== Scottish in descent.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
NO, that is not a shortcake. That is a shortcake with whipped cream, strawberry jelly, and strawberries on top. REAL shortcake only has three ingredients: Sugar, Butter, and Flour. NOTHING ELSE IS REQUIRED FOR TRUE SHORTCAKE.

<== Scottish in descent.

that's shortbread, not shortcake

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
THIS is shortcake.
It is not biscuit. Even though its made like biscuit.

The next time you try to substitute biscuit for shortcake I will burn your fucking building down.

Also, please try to have more than just a whole strawberry sitting on top of the cake. Ideally you will slice the strawberries and mix them into the cake in a manner that is tongue pleasing if not visually stimulating.

Thank you and good night.

Make your own with fresh organic cream and organic strawberries. Regular strawberries are subjected to more chemical assaults than just about any other thing we eat that I know of anyway. I won't touch non-organic strawberries. Of course I have insect blood.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
littledeb.jpg

GetImage.aspx

004repeatansserve.jpg

Strawberry Sponge-cake, Great Desert for Mom!

What&#8217;s good about this recipe is that you can get the kids in on making a dessert for Mom on Mother&#8217;s Day. There are no knives used in this preparation. The sharpest thing we used was a grapefruit spoon. If you use biscuits its called Strawberry Shortcake. Because you use shortening for biscuits, they call them shortcakes.

Personally, I prefer my "strawberry shortcake" made with fresh strawberries mashed with sugar, then poured over home-made biscuits and slathered with home-made whipped cream. A fit of fresh cream poured into the bottom of the bowl is also a nice addition.

For Neckbeard:

Biscuits:

buttermilk-biscuits-sl-1673191-l.jpg
[/IMG]

Scones:

blueberry-buttermilk-scones-2.jpg

While scones and biscuits (not cookies) are similar...they're NOT the same thing:

http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2005/08/scones_vs_biscu.html

Scones vs. Biscuits

Q: What is the difference between Scones and Biscuits?
-- Jolene

Opinions vary on this question. Most sources avoid the question completely, referring to both as kinds of Quick Bread.

In the book Baking With Julia, based on the PBS series hosted by Julia Child, Dorie Greenspan says that "[Scones] are made in a manner similar to biscuits and, in fact, share biscuits' buttery-layered texture, but their name, their shape, and the fact that they're served with tea rather than gravy, lift them to the level of fancier fare."

A closer look, however, suggests that the difference is not quite so superficial. Scones tend to be richer, frequently including both eggs and cream in the recipe, though not always. Some biscuit recipes will enrich the dough with eggs, but use milk or buttermilk instead of cream. Scones also use a bit more liquid than regular biscuits, which should make them a bit more cake-like in their consistency. While biscuit recipes may or may not call for sugar, scones typically use sugar, but not as much as sweetened biscuits.

Scones originated in Scotland and were made with oats. The dough would be pressed into a round and then cut into wedges, and cooked on a griddle. While scones may contain dried raisins or currants, they are traditionally not made with other ingredients that have become de rigueur in many pastry and coffee shops.

Opinion also varies on the pronunciation, either as "sk-on" (rhymes with 'gone') or "sk-own" (rhymes with 'bone'). Either is acceptable. Scots almost always use the first pronunciation, while in Great Britain, generally, "sk-on" is preferred 2 to 1 over "sk-own". Some references suggest that the latter pronunciation is more "upper class", although no clear citation is given for this claim.

Read more at KitchenSavvy: KitchenSavvy: Scones vs. Biscuits

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah after Alice people were speculating on all kinds of stuff American McGee would do next. We never did get Oz, did we?