PSA:New ICANN Rules Make DOMAIN HIJACKING Easier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: fs5
I just put in a name transfer for spicytuna.com ... the bastards that own it now simply redirect it to seeq.com (pay per click search site) .... we'll see how it goes. ethical or not?

Not. Would I have tried it?... yes :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Yzzim
Originally posted by: waggy
hmm i wonder if namecheap has the lock feature.

but there are like 2 domains i would like. What ticks me off one is for sale and the other is blank.

Login to Nameceap > select domain > click Modify > Click Go under 'MODIFY REGISTRAR LOCK' > Select "Set Reristrar Lock" > click Save Changes

thank you sir!

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I hope eNom has the locking action....

Sure enough, they did. And it was the default/recommended setting as well :)

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm...didn't Microsoft forget to renew hotmail.com a few years ago?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
oh man! Thanks!

Current Lock Status : Not Locked
now
The Registrar Lock was Successfully updated
Current Lock Status : Locked

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
question regarding that new icann rule. when you request for the xfer does it give the other party (owner of domain) your information such as name, address, tele etc? if so, does that perhaps lead to legal action?

or is it anonymous?

edit

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Glad I saw this...Dave's apparent hijacking got me concerned. Just submitted all of my domains to be locked.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
What's with the hijackings? How do you lose your domain? Do you not keep your domain contact e-mail accounts up to date? Did you actually lose them by hijacking or did you just let them expire?

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alm4rr
Originally posted by: fr
Hmm...didn't Microsoft forget to renew hotmail.com a few years ago?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2...gets_to_renew_hotmail/

Wow. I haven't heard about this case. It turns out the incident I was thinking about was a few years ago involving passport.com. They forgot to renew passport.com and it stopped working. Some person paid their renewal fees and later got reimbursed from MS. He sold the check on eBay.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/000118/1443242.shtml

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
What's with the hijackings? How do you lose your domain? Do you not keep your domain contact e-mail accounts up to date? Did you actually lose them by hijacking or did you just let them expire?

Domain hijacking was never increadibly hard. sex.com got stolen from the original owner. The hijacker owes the man $10million last I heard. :p

It's simple social engineering really.

I can't believe I missed this thread. My roommate told me about the locking thing the other day when I got home from work. It confused me at first, but I think I understand it now. It alleviates the registrars (the ones with money and lawyers) of any and all responsibility in the event of a domain hijacking.