PSA: Never Work For a Company With 3 Generations of Ownership

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Well the update this week is pretty crazy. I found out that the company isn't just buying rights to gold and silver but they are actually buying physical gold and silver. There is a vault underneath the manufacturing plants that has millions of dollars of precious metals. They also have ~200 guns in the vault "just in case". Any employee can request a gun for "security" and the company will hand it out for free.

They also plan on redoing the parking lot and all female employees will get assigned parking. I have no clue why they aren't doing it for the males but it's incredibly sexist and discriminatory. It's only a matter of time until they get sued by someone for being stupid.

If any of this is true, they are beyond screwed. Handing out guns? Seriously? Not sure what state this is, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they are breaking the law.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Fool and their money.

No wonder "doomsday" products are selling like hotcakes. America is driven by fear and full of fear/paranoia.

:cool:

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
If any of this is true, they are beyond screwed. Handing out guns? Seriously? Not sure what state this is, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they are breaking the law.

They include it as a gift to employee and pay payroll taxes on it. I'm not sure why it would specifically be illegal but it is definitely odd.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
They include it as a gift to employee and pay payroll taxes on it. I'm not sure why it would specifically be illegal but it is definitely odd.

In most states "transferring" a firearm requires some sort of paperwork. They might be slightly covered federally as long as they do a background check and ask employees if they have a felony.

As long as they do some sort of reasonable request to ensure that nobody has a felony then there isn't anything inherently illegal about the transfer.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Well the update this week is pretty crazy. I found out that the company isn't just buying rights to gold and silver but they are actually buying physical gold and silver. There is a vault underneath the manufacturing plants that has millions of dollars of precious metals. They also have ~200 guns in the vault "just in case". Any employee can request a gun for "security" and the company will hand it out for free.

They also plan on redoing the parking lot and all female employees will get assigned parking. I have no clue why they aren't doing it for the males but it's incredibly sexist and discriminatory. It's only a matter of time until they get sued by someone for being stupid.

o_O

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
If the employees know about the vault, I predict an theft attempt within a year. There's too much money at stake for someone not to try. I'm not saying having precious metals is a terrible idea, but come on, implement some fundamental security such as keeping the location a secret.

I assume the assigned parking idea is based on providing better security for the female employees?

I was thinking the same thing, but then a male employee might be able to sue if he gets mugged on his way through the parking lot. They should just do assigned parking for all or none.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It's starting to make sense. I think this company sells stuff that's popular with doomsday preppers.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
I was thinking the same thing, but then a male employee might be able to sue if he gets mugged on his way through the parking lot. They should just do assigned parking for all or none.

Yea, I think that was the reasoning behind it. It's a very paternal working environment.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

"I'm working for a company that is bat-shit crazy hoarding precious metals and weapons they hand out to anyone who asks. I'm going to bad-talk them across the internet and hope they don't find out about it!"

?

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
lots of crap happens when everything is pure crap at the company.
They hire someone to perform a function. The new hire uses a software tool that makes him look like a god on paper.
He gets everyone on board to use that software package tool. He then quits the company and now there is no support for that tool. Even IT was not advised of such and such tool and can not support it as it was not on the list of supported products to support.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
"I'm working for a company that is bat-shit crazy hoarding precious metals and weapons they hand out to anyone who asks. I'm going to bad-talk them across the internet and hope they don't find out about it!"

?

Come at me bro :D

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Go-live week! The time when you find out that all the things they said they needed are nothing like what they must have! :)

Good luck. Keep your requirements docs handy so you can wave them around when people start saying "Hey, this isn't they way it's supposed to work."

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Go-live week! The time when you find out that all the things they said they needed are nothing like what they must have! :)

Good luck. Keep your requirements docs handy so you can wave them around when people start saying "Hey, this isn't they way it's supposed to work."

I was working on an application for a large customer from October 2013 to October 2014. During the entire build process, we had biweekly meetings with the application owners to show progress, field questions, and to make sure we weren't missing anything and their expectations were being met. Three months of that time was also user acceptance testing, where they got to go in and actually use the system. They signed off on everything and we FINALLY rolled it into production in November of 2014.

In January, I get a call from one of the main business owners. Keep in mind, the application had been IN PRODUCTION USE for two months. "Where is the field for X?!?!?! We REALLY need that field!!" At this point, I couldn't help myself. "According to the notes from the initial design meetings on 8/21/2013, your boss said that field was not needed any longer and to delete it. Furthermore, when I took over and started developing the application from 10/2013 to 10/2014, we had biweekly meetings and this field was NEVER part of the application. Finally, you guys did user testing from June to September of 2014 and never once mentioned this field was missing. Can you please explain to me why you are just now bringing this to my attention AFTER the migration?!?!?! This is a big deal and will require significant effort -- adding the field to the app is trivial, but migrating the legacy data for this field from Lotus Notes into SharePoint is NOT trivial. Since you signed off on the previous design, this will be considered an enhancement and I will give you an estimate." :awe:

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was working on an application for a large customer from October 2013 to October 2014. During the entire build process, we had biweekly meetings with the application owners to show progress, field questions, and to make sure we weren't missing anything and their expectations were being met. Three months of that time was also user acceptance testing, where they got to go in and actually use the system. They signed off on everything and we FINALLY rolled it into production in November of 2014.

In January, I get a call from one of the main business owners. Keep in mind, the application had been IN PRODUCTION USE for two months. "Where is the field for X?!?!?! We REALLY need that field!!" At this point, I couldn't help myself. "According to the notes from the initial design meetings on 8/21/2013, your boss said that field was not needed any longer and to delete it. Furthermore, when I took over and started developing the application from 10/2013 to 10/2014, we had biweekly meetings and this field was NEVER part of the application. Finally, you guys did user testing from June to September of 2014 and never once mentioned this field was missing. Can you please explain to me why you are just now bringing this to my attention AFTER the migration?!?!?! This is a big deal and will require significant effort -- adding the field to the app is trivial, but migrating the legacy data for this field from Lotus Notes into SharePoint is NOT trivial. Since you signed off on the previous design, this will be considered an enhancement and I will give you an estimate." :awe:

Yeah, everybody hates the requirements meetings, the mock-ups, the review after review, but this is why it has to be done and why everything has to be documented. 90% of the people making the calls aren't giving it any thought and just want it to be over. But when it's over and the system is live, THEN they start paying attention... too late.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
If the employees know about the vault, I predict an theft attempt within a year. There's too much money at stake for someone not to try. I'm not saying having precious metals is a terrible idea, but come on, implement some fundamental security such as keeping the location a secret.

I assume the assigned parking idea is based on providing better security for the female employees?

we have a platinum shop here at one of our facilities. everyone knows where it is, but good luck getting in
its surrounded by enough razor wire to be confused with a super max prison

also armed guards 24/7

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
we have a platinum shop here at one of our facilities. everyone knows where it is, but good luck getting in
its surrounded by enough razor wire to be confused with a super max prison

also armed guards 24/7

Yea, they don't really have a security presence guarding the metal because it's not a part of the core business process. The owners buy and sell physical gold because they are speculating on the side.

Nov 8, 2012
They didn't implement their prior ERP system until the IRS threatened to fine them. By that point they were at ~$100M or so in sales. The ERP system that they chose to implement was a poor fit for their company and is typically marketed to companies with low complexity and under $50M in sales. Does that answer your question?

microsoft dynamics?

fake edit: nvm saw you answered. Haha, I figured.