PSA: Microwave your vegetables.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Seriously. I used to steam or boil them, but that takes too long. Now I microwave everything. Quicker. Cleaner. Also retain all the nutrients. Just wash your vegetables, saran wrap it and pop it in for a few minutes, then whaahla!

This Martha Stewart moment has been brought to you by the ATOT cooking association.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
does it retain all the nutrients? i always figured the heat would break apart some healthy stuff.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
does it retain all the nutrients? i always figured the heat would break apart some healthy stuff.

Any nutrients lost in heating are replenished by delicious plasticy minerals from melted saran wrap.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: gopunk

Any nutrients lost in heating are replenished by delicious plasticy minerals from melted saran wrap.

:laugh:

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: pray4mojo
i dont think the saran wrap brand contains any of that plasticy stuff but i think other plastic wraps still could.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/...-microwave-dioxin2.htm

what?! fvk that...

*throws his vegetables in the garbage and goes and grabs a beer and some porkrinds

damn u! now i want some beer and spicy porkrinds. Stores are closed though :(

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I use a $20 steamer from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-De...&qid=1190954483&sr=8-4

Fill tub with water, dump veggies in, and turn dial. Voila, steamed veggies. Steaming it this way seems to come out nicer than the microwave, plus it gives you time to cook the rest of your food. Oh and you can steam it with spices, chicken broth, etc.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I don't trust the microwave for anything besides "reheating". I can't trust a plastic rap to not have toxins and other sh!t that causes cancer when being microwaved for periods of time long enough to do the actual cooking.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
...but there is no research demonstrating that dioxins are produced when the same plastics are heated in a microwave oven.

(Saran Wrap, which is mentioned by name in the email, has been reformulated by its manufacturer, S.C. Johnson & Son, such that the product no longer contains PVC or any other chlorinated substance which could release dioxin.)

Besides, I have this down to a science.

Ear of corn: 4 mins
Veggies in general: 3 mins
Other things: watch as it cooks.

If you don't trust the wrap, get some microwave safe tupperwares then. Must I think of everything?

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: pray4mojo
i dont think the saran wrap brand contains any of that plasticy stuff but i think other plastic wraps still could.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/...-microwave-dioxin2.htm

what?! fvk that...

*throws his vegetables in the garbage and goes and grabs a beer and some porkrinds

damn u! now i want some beer and spicy porkrinds. Stores are closed though :(
Don't forget the half bottle of Tabasco sauce that goes on them.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: SSSnail
...but there is no research demonstrating that dioxins are produced when the same plastics are heated in a microwave oven.

(Saran Wrap, which is mentioned by name in the email, has been reformulated by its manufacturer, S.C. Johnson & Son, such that the product no longer contains PVC or any other chlorinated substance which could release dioxin.)

If you don't trust the wrap, get some microwave safe tupperwares then. Must I think of everything?

It appears that you must! Microwaves are good. Stoves are also good.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Whaa? If yer gonna resort to nukeage then why not just put 'em in a Pyrex or equivalent bowl with lid or wrap so that the plastic doesn't touch?

I eschew teh microwaves and specialized gadgets in favour of a pan avec lid on the ze stove with a straineresque thingy in it and of course water in the bottom. Et voila!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Tip for Ears of Corn--Buy Cobs with the husk still on them. Leave the husk on the cob when microwaving. You don't need to wrap them in plastic, just put them on a plate and nuke them. Makes the best corn on the cob known to man.

edit: spelling

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Most, if not all of the major brands, now have frozen veggie bags that steam the veggies in the microwave.

You toss the whole frozen bag in, nuke for 4 minutes, and your veggies steam to perfection on the bag.
They are about the same price as the non-steameable bagged veggies too.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
Most, if not all of the major brands, now have frozen veggie bags that steam the veggies in the microwave.

You toss the whole frozen bag in, nuke for 4 minutes, and your veggies steam to perfection on the bag.
They are about the same price as the non-steameable bagged veggies too.

Yep, we get them all the time. Quick, easy and healthy side dishes.

http://www.birdseyefoods.com/b...ye/steamfresh/home.asp

lytalbayre

Apr 28, 2005
I microwave potatoes for baked potatoes. I microwave ears of corn, just leave them in the husk. Suprising, this works really well for corn.

Other vegetables, no way!

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Seriously. I used to steam or boil them, but that takes too long. Now I microwave everything. Quicker. Cleaner. Also retain all the nutrients. Just wash your vegetables, saran wrap it and pop it in for a few minutes, then whaahla!/q]

The word is spelled "voila".