PSA: It's the LUNAR New Year, not the CHINESE New Year

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Lunar = moon, since the year is based on moon cycles.

Chinese = country/people that celebrates it, not what the holiday is based on.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
The Chinese created the Lunar calendar, they're probably the first to celebrate it, therefore I think Chinese New Year is not far off. It sucks now that I have to give out red envelops instead of receiving them, and I haven't received one for years now.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Thank you. This is so that the term is all inclusive to other countries that celebrate this day - Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.

Lunar New Year is more PC.

But then again, if you really want to argue, Chinese invented the Lunar Calendar so.....

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
The Chinese created the Lunar calendar, they're probably the first to celebrate it, therefore I think Chinese New Year is not far off. It sucks now that I have to give out red envelops instead of receiving them, and I haven't received one for years now.

Well, we don't say Happy Roman New Year now do we =p

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer

Why is it the Gregorian calendar then? Why not the solar calendar?

And we don't say happy roman new year because it's the one we use. Do you think people in china call up a chinese food place for delivery? I don't go buy canadian milk, I just buy milk, yeah it's canadian, but I don't specify.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Syringer

Italians don't celebrate it. Its Chinese New Year. Stop the non sense.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
You call it what you want (Spider New Year) & I will call it Chinese New Year :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

Oct 4, 2004
Well, even the Islamic Calendar is based on Lunar Cycles...so it's probably best to further distinguish the Chinese New Year as being...er... Chinese.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
so who's gonna go watch some dragons dance durin chinese new years? i havent done that in forever

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
eh, semantics. I still call it "chinatown" instead of "international district"

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o

There are people who call Chinatown "International District?" That's news to me.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: glutenberg

There are people who call Chinatown "International District?" That's news to me.

Depends on where you live. In San Francisco, it's Chinatown. In Seattle, it's the International District.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999

In Seattle the Chinatown is also called the International District.

Cheers,
Aquaman

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: HotChic

Depends on where you live. In San Francisco, it's Chinatown. In Seattle, it's the International District.

There aren't subtitles for each area within the International District? Like in LA, there's Little Tokyo, K-Town, Chinatown, etc-town. Same as in New York and SF. International District almost sounds like an area for doing commercial business transactions moreso than ethnically dominated areas.