PSA: if you are looking for a new receiver...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
do yourself a HUGE favor and be 100% sure it has some version of audyssey in it.

as some of you all know from my other thread i ran wires the past week and had my room in a mess for over a week. well having my system unplugged for that long for some reason made my avr lose it's audyssey settings, only i was not aware of this.

my wife and i watched a movie last night and the sound was garbage. and these aren't garbage speakers by any means, they are amazing speakers. i checked the channel levels and noticed they were back to factory settings, so i changed them to what i normally set them to. and it still sounded bad. i was thinking maybe it was just the movie (Brave) that had a bad soundtrack though.

so after the movie i ran through the opening of saving private ryan, which i've seen like 5x on my system when it was calibrated, and it sounded like crap as well. i was kind of worried because i had wondered if i screwed something up in my whole wiring and what not. but since the channel levels had reset, i thought maybe audyssey settings were lost too. it was too late and my wife was sleeping, so i didn't bother last night.

so just now i ran audyssey again. after it was done, i set the channel levels back to what i had em at before (LCR at -6db, subs at -2db). i then changed the crossover settings back to what i think i had them at (80hz for the LR and C), and once again, my system was back to sounding better than the movie theater!

so moral of the story - get a receiver with audyssey because it can do wonders. it made my pro sounding speakers, which sounded bad with default settings, sound incredible better than the movie theater again.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yep, I have a Denon 2310CI and recently bought new speakers. I didn't have time to run Audyssey setup after I hooked them up and they sounded like crap. Once I ran the setup though, it sounded like I was in a movie theater.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I have a Yamaha rxv467 I bought about 2 yrs ago and not aware of Audyssey. Is this some kind of software/firmware I can get. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have Audyssey.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Is it weird that I've never really noticed a difference? Maybe I should try disabling the Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my receiver downstairs to see how it sounds to me now that I've been using it for awhile. I tried the weird MultiSet thing on my receiver upstairs, and it didn't make a huge difference to me.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is it weird that I've never really noticed a difference? Maybe I should try disabling the Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my receiver downstairs to see how it sounds to me now that I've been using it for awhile. I tried the weird MultiSet thing on my receiver upstairs, and it didn't make a huge difference to me.

just to be clear, and i don't mean this as you being stupid or anything, but you actually ran the calibration with the mic before turning the setting on right?

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004

It really depends on how perfect your room is, how flat response your speakers have, and how far away each speaker is to your listening position and whether you can make volume adjustments to each channel by ear well enough.

I have an irregular room, speakers with a dip in the 9-10 khz response, and surround speakers that are not symmetrical to my listening position.

With my lowly 591, Audyssey automatically makes these adjustments for me when I run its setup through the provided mic:

Sets speaker wire length automatically so each sound reaches me at the same time eliminating possible off-phase listening.

Sets crossover (although I raise them to 80 hz) so they blend well with my subwoofer

Forms an EQ to make up for the fact that my speakers are not very bright and takes care of the 10khz dip.

Sets volume of each channel so that everything sound as uniform as possible. My center is located closer to me than my floorstanders, Audyssey sets it to -6.5 dB while my floorstanders are -1.5dB. Making that adjustment on my own would prove difficult without an spl meter, I'd just have to do it by ear.

You can see how if you have a terrific speakers and great room acoustics + placement, these adjustments wouldn't be needed, however for me, it makes things automatic and perfect with very little effort.

I'm very proud of my budget set up but honestly, my speakers sound gross if I turn AudEQ off.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
^^

yeah when i ran audyssey last night again it set my crossover on my LR and C to 40hz, and i was getting hardly any punch from my subs. i didn't realize that initially when i tested some scenes, so i checked the crossover and saw it that low then bumped it up to 80hz for LR and C. and then we were back in business!

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yamaha has a similar thing called YPAO, and yes your receiver includes it.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/technology/ypao_automatic_system_calibration/
YPAO and MultiSet are parametric EQ and level adjustment, the original mode of room correction. Audyssey, like Trinnov (and, I think to a lesser extent, Advanced MCACC on the high-end Pioneer Elites) deals with more stuff, including multiple listening points, phase correction, etc.

It's really a killer feature.

Did Yoyo's thread on using Audyssey MultEQ XT on his cheap-ass old Sony speakers get lost in a forum reboot? Can't seem to find it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
omnimic is more for actually seeing the curve, but it can be used with a minidsp to do EQing.

Audyssey isnt a cure all. it does not always sound better and many dont use it even on AVRs that have it

Cheaper option is the mic Minidsp http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
use it with REW (free)
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

ah cool yea i had just heard of omnimic before.

and yea, audyssey makes it sound better, but you can always tweak it a bit more. last night if i didn't change the crossover settings or channel levels it would not have sounded nearly as good. i only knew to change them because i had changed them prior to it losing my settings and i remembered.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Audyssey isnt a cure all. it does not always sound better and many dont use it even on AVRs that have it

and yea, audyssey makes it sound better, but you can always tweak it a bit more.
I definitely understand that Audyssey doesn't fix everything. Hell, my LR front LaScalas are waaaaaaay off timbre from the rest of my speakers.

I run a four position Audyssey cal to get the system in the ballpark, manually reset my sub crossovers, and then just tweak everything with my $14 Radio Shack SPL.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I definitely understand that Audyssey doesn't fix everything. Hell, my LR front LaScalas are waaaaaaay off timbre from the rest of my speakers.

I run a four position Audyssey cal to get the system in the ballpark, manually reset my sub crossovers, and then just tweak everything with my $14 Radio Shack SPL.

ah cool. to be honest i'm a total noob to these tools. i will probably get an spl to start messing around with it and to learn how things actually sound in different seating areas.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
ah cool. to be honest i'm a total noob to these tools. i will probably get an spl to start messing around with it and to learn how things actually sound in different seating areas.
It's a fun hobby that can enrich the entertainment experience. It can also get very expensive very fast! Heh heh...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's a fun hobby that can enrich the entertainment experience. It can also get very expensive very fast! Heh heh...

definitely. i've already spent most of the money though but still need to get my surrounds, but i should be set for decades to come lol.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

purbeast0, if you are planning to get these tools to tinker around with, that's cool. But if you just want your theater to sound the best it possibly can, I'd recommend using a calibrator. The guy I used is awesome and will not only calibrate your audio, but will also make recommendations to improve the overall sound in the room (room treatment, etc.). The guy is awesome and I can't recommend him enough. Once I move I'm definitely going to have him come back out and calibrate my audio gear (he already calibrated both of my TV's a few months ago).

Anyway, just throwing that out there since you were contemplating spending $300 on a mic.

Last edited:

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
It does make a huge difference, especially if you don't have the knowledge to set it up yourself. I've only got the basic version in the 1612 but it makes a very noticeable difference.