PSA: DuckTales Remastered unlocks 8/13 on Steam...

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I remember playing the hell out of that game in the NES, will have to resist the nostalgia and not buy it, my back log is big enough as it is

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I know I played this, but I don't remember much about it...

Such an odd choice for a HD version of a console game released on PC 20 some years later...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Gamespot's main gripe with the game is that it's apparently a very boring, very generic sidescroller with generic platforming and generic combat, topped off with unnecessary cut-scenes. The game's trying to make sales purely from people's nostalgia, even though it has none of the personality or charm that the original game had.

If I had to guess, it's probably an OK platformer... just not as great as everyone's hyping it up to be (I never played the original Ducktales game so I can't comment on that.)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
From what I read before the release, it was just an HD remake of the original game. Basically, the same game with just updated sprites. And this worked great for Capcom with games like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Marvel Vs Capcom 2, but that is because at their core, they were amazing games. I played DuckTales on the NES, and I can't recall anything about it other than it being a Duck Tales game. It was probably mediocre at the time.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Gamespot's main gripe with the game is that it's apparently a very boring, very generic sidescroller with generic platforming and generic combat, topped off with unnecessary cut-scenes. The game's trying to make sales purely from people's nostalgia, even though it has none of the personality or charm that the original game had.

If I had to guess, it's probably an OK platformer... just not as great as everyone's hyping it up to be (I never played the original Ducktales game so I can't comment on that.)

Sounds like "they've grown up" and forgotten that this is basically a remastering of the original game. This is exactly what people wanted... remake the original game without screwing with the gameplay at all. It's funny that they bitch about it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
From what I read before the release, it was just an HD remake of the original game. Basically, the same game with just updated sprites. And this worked great for Capcom with games like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Marvel Vs Capcom 2, but that is because at their core, they were amazing games. I played DuckTales on the NES, and I can't recall anything about it other than it being a Duck Tales game. It was probably mediocre at the time.

Yeah, there's a lot of licensed games like that which haven't aged well in retrospect. I really liked the Aladdin game but playing it again on the emulator was sad. It's just a fairly boring platformer at its core as well.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sounds like "they've grown up" and forgotten that this is basically a remastering of the original game. This is exactly what people wanted... remake the original game without screwing with the gameplay at all. It's funny that they bitch about it.

Yeah but if the original game sucked...you know the remake isn't gonna be any better. The thing is, back in the NES days games were generic and released one after the other. The game is still at the core, a bad game. It just happened that when it released on the NES it was not as bad as the others at the time. Today standards are higher and there has been nearly 25 years of innovation and refinement to action/platform games. This just cannot compete with Rayman and the like.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The original did not suck. It was actually one of the best platformers on the NES. Following closely behind the release of Megaman which was one of the first games to use player selected level order, Capcom continued this idea in Ducktales. The controls were top notch. The story, well it was Ducktales, find $$$, the more the better. The fact that there were multiple endings based on how much $$$ you found was also an interesting addon which not many games at that time had done.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The original did not suck. It was actually one of the best platformers on the NES. Following closely behind the release of Megaman which was one of the first games to use player selected level order, Capcom continued this idea in Ducktales. The controls were top notch. The story, well it was Ducktales, find $$$, the more the better. The fact that there were multiple endings based on how much $$$ you found was also an interesting addon which not many games at that time had done.

It wasn't that great. Ninja Gaiden was better and it came out before then. Then we have Castlevania and Metroid, both of which were superior to Ducktales.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I heard a new DuckTales game was coming out. So, this is a remake of the NES version? I never played that one. I had the old DuckTales PC game. I remember playing it on our 286. It was actually pretty decent in it's time.

I hope this new one ends up being good. DuckTales was a great show. Also, it recently became available for streaming on Amazon Prime video.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It wasn't that great. Ninja Gaiden was better and it came out before then. Then we have Castlevania and Metroid, both of which were superior to Ducktales.

And again, those were also different games. I wouldn't necessarily say Ninja Gaiden was better or not. It was focused on a completely different demographic than Ducktales, same with Castlevania and Metroid. I personally was not a fan of the original Metroid (I loved Super Metroid, and consider it one of the best games ever made). Castlevania was an entirely different animal, more like Ninja Gaiden than Ducktales (ever look at the game mechanics? Both used collectable power-ups which fell from attacking certain items in the game (candles, torches, lights, etc.), both had character hit bars, both had similar limited uses of the special weapons.... really these were very much similar games, simply one was ninja with added climbing/grappling mechanics).

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
The original did not suck. It was actually one of the best platformers on the NES.

Better NES platformers:

All the Marios
Contra
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
All the Megamans
Rescue Rangers (IMO)

I'd say for me personally those were better.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I hope this new one ends up being good. DuckTales was a great show. Also, it recently became available for streaming on Amazon Prime video.

they did? well I know what I'm watching all night now. thanks asshole.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
And again, those were also different games. I wouldn't necessarily say Ninja Gaiden was better or not. It was focused on a completely different demographic than Ducktales, same with Castlevania and Metroid. I personally was not a fan of the original Metroid (I loved Super Metroid, and consider it one of the best games ever made). Castlevania was an entirely different animal, more like Ninja Gaiden than Ducktales (ever look at the game mechanics? Both used collectable power-ups which fell from attacking certain items in the game (candles, torches, lights, etc.), both had character hit bars, both had similar limited uses of the special weapons.... really these were very much similar games, simply one was ninja with added climbing/grappling mechanics).

what did you like better, Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers? I liked RR better.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I never understood why that dude didn't put his money in the god damn bank.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Ouch, the PS3 version of the game was just given 4.5/10 by Gamespot.

Ouch. Sounds like they gave this game to the wrong reviewer. He barely mentions the NES original. Mind you Gamespot isn't a reputable review site. They lost that honour after the payola scandal a few years back.

Metacritic score on the 360 is only 68. Most of the negativity seems to centre on it being too short a game for too much money.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I probably won't buy this game (well perhaps when it hits $2.50), I'm content with watching the trailer :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I heard a new DuckTales game was coming out. So, this is a remake of the NES version? I never played that one. I had the old DuckTales PC game. I remember playing it on our 286. It was actually pretty decent in it's time.

Wow, you're right. Seems to be just Season 1 but that's 65 episodes. Time to introduce the kids to some retro TV. I remember Duck Tales being very good for a kid's cartoon.

The NES game was one of the first 2 games we got for the NES. The other was Jackal. It was a hard game to play at that age, my days were lost mastering the different levels. I remember we got stuck and then realized there was a special move we could do a few weeks in.