PSA - DON'T buy PNY graphics cards anymore. (Throwing DCers under the bus with miners)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
or better yet, run it on water

its very easy to detect that you removed your heatsink by looking at the pads, and also the TIM you put on the die.
If there going to deny you of a RMA from DC/Mining, high chance they will deny you from heat sink removal.

Anyhow I have never bought PNY....
Im a hardcore eVGA supporter, and always will be.
You tell them your GPU is broke.... as long as it doesnt look like a truck ran over it, or you dropped it in a toilet, they usually RMA it, and if the part is old, they step you up to the next gen, and not side swipe you on older junk.

Reactions: Ken g6

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@mindless1, re #23: Getting side-tracked; in short:
a) HPC nodes are a lot denser than mining rigs. Think of blade servers for CPU computing, or servers tightly packed with accelerator cards for GPU computing. Mining rigs based on consumer GPUs cannot be as dense. HPC nodes OTOH need to be dense because of the infrastructure around them.
b) Power density in a chassis, together with temperature delta from inlet to exhaust, determines air flow speed.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
its very easy to detect that you removed your heatsink by looking at the pads, and also the TIM you put on the die.
If there going to deny you of a RMA from DC/Mining, high chance they will deny you from heat sink removal.

Anyhow I have never bought PNY....
Im a hardcore eVGA supporter, and always will be.
You tell them your GPU is broke.... as long as it doesnt look like a truck ran over it, or you dropped it in a toilet, they usually RMA it, and if the part is old, they step you up to the next gen, and not side swipe you on older junk.

Hmmm... My point to it all I guess... If you keep the temps down by adding more fans or water cooling, you can avoid the RMA process all together!

I have EVGA cards as well.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hmmm... My point to it all I guess... If you keep the temps down by adding more fans or water cooling, you can avoid the RMA process all together!

I have EVGA cards as well.

i have always watercooled my videocards.
Watercooling videocards is litterally the best way to go with a custom LCS, because a full cover block will get almost everything from die+Vregs+memory.

The reduction temps are also by a factor of 1/2.

I havent had a videocard load over 50C even in SLI with the proper radiators to back it up even on a hot day with no AC.

Reactions: ericlp

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Define "hot day".....you live in Alaska or something? ;)

i think hot day, i would call ambient in my room around 90F, which translates to about 32C.
Now factor coolant temperature will be roughly 2-3C over ambient, because i tend to plan overage on my radiators, that leaves me with a coolant of temp of 35C.

Now factor in fluid dynamics in regards to thermodynamics which states 150W of heat per 1C @ 1.5gpm... factor that i always run dual loops and redundant pumps hence i have roughly 2~2.2gpm on my pumps.... that.... <insert long math here> TLDR.... my gpu's rarely see anything north of 50C....

Watercooling will net reduction on load temps on your gpu by an average of 1/2.
Meaning done correctly, you cut your that load temperature by 1/2 vs the reference heat sink design.
So if your gpu's are loading at 80C -> watercooling they will load at around 40-45C.

So to see a temperature north of 50C you would need to have your gpu's load up at around 95-100C.
Hence why i wouldnt mind taking a watercooled miners card second hand, because i know that card would probably last longer then a gamer card running a stock heat sink.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericlp