PSA - DDR3 RAM prices are at historic lows

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Good point, they're probably hitting rock bottom soon and then manufacturing will switchover to DDR4 subsequently 3 prices will be inflated again. Going to seriously look into some DDR3 this week...

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Good point, they're probably hitting rock bottom soon and then manufacturing will switchover to DDR4 subsequently 3 prices will be inflated again. Going to seriously look into some DDR3 this week...

I just upgraded to 16 GB last week (was running 2x4 GB and got 2x8 GB, don't want to use more than two sticks due to stability). Don't really need 16 GB of RAM at the moment, but if I decide to keep my current DDR3 platform for several more years, it might become necessary and at that point DDR3 RAM might be expensive/hard to get. In a few years I might be able to sell my 4 sticks of DDR3 RAM for more than they cost new today anyway...

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Just bought a set of Ripjaws 2x4GB for $30 (Christmas present for mom...) Haven't seen that in a while...

Last set of 2x4GB I got in March was $64! ...and 2x4GB in March14 at $61.

If I would have had my head out of my butt, I would have got a 2x8GB set and swapped that into my game rig... and gave mom the 2x4GB set. Oh, well.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005

Exactly. There was a window just like this near the end of the DDR2 life cycle and I missed it and then DDR2 prices shot up and stocks dried up. I only had enough DDR2 to have one system at 8GB while the rest had mis-matched 4-6GB setups. The struggle is real.