PSA: Canker Sores != Cold Sores

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Be aware that this is an old thread.
admin allisolm

Inspired by some of the replies in this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2186131

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/canker-sores
Are Cold Sores Another Name for Canker Sores?

No, although cold sores and canker sores are often confused for each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called a fever blister or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious. Also, cold sores typically appear outside the mouth - usually, under the nose, around the lips, or under the chin while canker sores occur inside the mouth.

What Causes Canker Sores?

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods - including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) - can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger canker sores.

Some cases of complex canker sores are caused by an underlying health condition, such as an impaired immune system; nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, or iron deficiency; and gastrointestinal tract disease, such as Celiac disease and Crohn's disease.

Canker Sore:
canker-sore-on-the-lips.jpg

Cold Sore:
cdc_cold_sore_closeup_lips.jpg

themoreyouknow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Could have done without the pics. I get canker sores pretty regularly, it's just an annoyance.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Wasn't this obvious?

Cold sore = shit at the outside edges of your lips
Canker = that fucking annoying shit inside your mouth

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
cold sores can also be confused with a zit right on the edge of somebody's lip.

but if that bitch is square in the middle of the lip, look out- thar be herpes.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
see my post. i had pretty bad acne in my teens, and i know it's possible for the 'epicenter' of a quality pimple to be right on the edge of the lip- but they don't pop up actually on it.

canker sores are definitely the ones inside your mouth that come from some kind of injury. i never saw that as debatable.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Spam removed

I'm trying to find a free Ipod.

PLEASE don't quote spammers and their links.
admin alliosolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Don't think I've ever seen a man with cold sores. My mom has them, but my dad never caught them from her (nor any of us kids). Weird for something that's supposed to be so contagious.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Don't think I've ever seen a man with cold sores. My mom has them, but my dad never caught them from her (nor any of us kids). Weird for something that's supposed to be so contagious.

Oh, he almost certainly did. And you as well.

Being asymptomatic does NOT equal not infected. Most people go without an obvious lesion, or years between them, or develop an outbreak only when exposed to certain stressors.

According to the WHO, nearly 70% of the world's population has the HSV1 virus responsible for "cold sores". Only a small percentage though show regular symptoms.