PS4 Pro Review

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Expecting better load times wasn't a good idea. It's still a crappy, 5400-RPM drive inside by default. SSDs showed very little improvements in speed when installed, as opposed to the standard model. Whether that's a limitation of the OS, CPU, or something else, it's hard to say. However, we've known for a bit now that the PS4P isn't saving anyone on load times.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The pro does use SATA-3 but doesn't benefit from it. The best guesses I have seen revolve around OS limitations.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I've finally set mine up last night, but not the TV (stand's not big enough and an electrician's supposed to be out here in the near-future, so didn't want to put it in the way of the wall). I've only play MLB The Show so far (also have Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of Mordor GotY, and Bloodborne).

While I'm greatly enjoying having baseball back in my gaming life, I must say I'm disappointed. After playing MLB 2K for years on 360, and hearing everyone say how much better The Show was, and hearing how it's the best sports franchise around, it's pretty underwhelming. The fielding A.I. is atrocious, strikeouts are all over the place (combined 41 and 37 in the first 2 games I've played, respectively, on Veteran), and the commentary everyone said got much better of late sounds really canned and doesn't impress me at all, coming from a pretty solid offering by 2K.

Again, loving it, but not sure how the franchise got touted as the best thing in sports gaming. I can't say there's anything that makes me say "this dumps on NBA 2K and Madden," in terms of quality in visuals, animations, physics, or commentary. It's good, and I like it. It's just not the perfection I was led to expect, and I say this as a massive baseball fan starved for a game for 4 years.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's much more accurate on a game by game basis than many other sports titles. As you play through a season you will see I think.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Are you sure? I just had this happen last night:

WP_20161207_22_14_31_Pro.jpg

How did that happen, you wonder? Well, I started an inning with Darvish facing Kinsler. First pitch, Kinsler swung for a strike. Going to throw the next pitch, that message comes up. After the game, I check my notifications, and it says Darvish is out 6+ months with a head fracture. He fractured his head on a swinging strike. WHAT THE FUCK. 3 possibilities:

1. Kinsler lost the bat on the swing and blasted Darvish in the head.
2. Kyle Schwarber (my catcher) threw the ball back at 95 while Darvish wasn't looking and broke his skull.
3. There was a sniper, and Darvish is inhuman, so the sniper round just cracked his skull, but didn't kill him.

I mean, really, what is this shit? When I go into the game saying "if you play online, you basically have to always be in a bunt defense because bunt hits are so easy," that sounds like the kind of thing people ripped the MLB 2K series for. That, and I'm still seeing about 30 strikeouts/game (I think 31 in the last I played) after 3-4 being finished. Maybe it'll get better, but it's pretty bizarre thus far. That, and regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, I really hope they give infield defense a LOT of love and attention for next season because it's pretty bad right now. If they're going to screw Kris Bryant out of the cover, at least do that for me.

One thing I noticed, they definitely do a better job visually than MLB 2K did. Even lesser players I don't know the appearance of really well, I could see the player model and pick them out. They're not lifelike or anything, but they're pretty well-done (though Andrew Miller has no beard and looks weird for it). The only one that looked absurd was Dan Vogelbach. He's known as a really big dude, and it has the league convinced he can only DH, but his player model looks like it weighs about 450 pounds, with 400 of it concentrated between his stomach and thighs. He looks terrifying. The rest look pretty darned good, though I wish they did like other games and used player images on their profiles, rather than screenshots of the models.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No I mean throughout a season, the stats, hot and cold streaks and all that is much better than many games. Things end up much more realistic in the end for the most part if you don't put everything on easy.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I bought a pro as my first PS4. Purchased Just Dance 2017!! Totally for me.

I also got Diablo 3, Last of us remastered and Until Dawn for now.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
The Last of Us is one of the best experiences I have ever had playing a game. The story is something you will think about years after you finish the game.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Last of Us is one of the best experiences I have ever had playing a game. The story is something you will think about years after you finish the game.
Nice! I'm looking forward to playing it. I'm happy that my wife enjoys Diablo 3. I had it on PC and she gave it a shot and seemed to like it, so us playing coop is really fun.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I am in the middle of my 4th play through of the game. I played last of us twice on PS3 (one new game plus) and once on PS4. I bought it again when I got the pro console and started another new game in 4K. I didn't finish it yet, final fantasy xv is taking up my current game time.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
For anyone looking for the new controllers they are starting to come in finally. My local Gamestop said they got a bunch of them the past couple of weeks now and they are listed in their system differently so they know the difference. Also on the back of the packaging they show the new light bar so you know you got the newer model. They come in black, red, blue, and gold that I know of. None of the camo ones were the new model. I traded my white one with squeaky triggers toward a black one.

Reactions: Lil Frier

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
For anyone looking for the new controllers they are starting to come in finally. My local Gamestop said they got a bunch of them the past couple of weeks now and they are listed in their system differently so they know the difference. Also on the back of the packaging they show the new light bar so you know you got the newer model. They come in black, red, blue, and gold that I know of. None of the camo ones were the new model. I traded my white one with squeaky triggers toward a black one.
When I ordered my pro from dell I ordered another controller as well, I was worried I would get an old one but I got the new model.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Expecting better load times wasn't a good idea. It's still a crappy, 5400-RPM drive inside by default. SSDs showed very little improvements in speed when installed, as opposed to the standard model. Whether that's a limitation of the OS, CPU, or something else, it's hard to say. However, we've known for a bit now that the PS4P isn't saving anyone on load times.

i have a SSD in mine and its noticeably faster when loading things :/ shrug

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

What an amazing game, it was the first thing I played once I got my PS4 last week. The Left Behind DLC was pretty fun too.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
i have a SSD in mine and its noticeably faster when loading things :/ shrug
SSD's do show improvements but the chipset isn't able to take full advantage of it but yes they are still faster but with the huge cost. I went the middle ground, Hybrid drive, faster but not as fast and much cheaper than SSD.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
SSD's do show improvements but the chipset isn't able to take full advantage of it but yes they are still faster but with the huge cost. I went the middle ground, Hybrid drive, faster but not as fast and much cheaper than SSD.

ahh gotcha. i have so many drive lying around, cost was already taken care of so it was a no brainer for me

Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Taken from the latest Kaby Lake review. Shadow of Mordor consistently is 30FPS @4k and $400 on the PS4Pro. With the same budget devoted for a $380 AMD R9 290X those output 38FPS. Yes, the settings used on PS4 may not match ultra for everything and I'd rather spend that $380 on a current generation card, regardless, it's no slouch in that game. This is also only months after launch, as always they always tweak and improve as time passes. But Sony and the developers best hurry, what MS does with Scorpio in that same price range is at year's end.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10969...iew-the-more-amenable-mainstream-performer/10

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
The PS4P is also not native 4K, nor does it likely carrying anything close to the "Ultra" settings package the PC offers.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The PS4P is also not native 4K, nor does it likely carrying anything close to the "Ultra" settings package the PC offers.

Not entirely true. The Last Of US on the PS4 Pro is capable of being rendered natively at 4k. There will be more games that can do this too. Also, comparing Deus Ex Mankind Divided on PS4 Pro to the PC and I prefer how it looks on the PS4 because it has HDR while the PC game does not. It's not all about texture resolution anymore.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002

Not sure where you're getting those opinions from. I don't even want to waste my too much time to debunk you. Shadow of Mordor is 4K nearly 95% of the time. Use your own time to waste debunking it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's not "Real 4K", it's faux 4K using checkerboarding.

Which? I can assure you that Last of US does render entirely at 4k not below if you select 30fps mode on the Pro. Whether it makes a visual difference is up to you, I have a hard time noticing the difference between the game at 1800p and 4k.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I did notice a difference on my TV for the last of us. It just looks much sharper, details are more robust, and overall it changes the experience I had when I played it at 1080p last year.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I did notice a difference on my TV for the last of us. It just looks much sharper, details are more robust, and overall it changes the experience I had when I played it at 1080p last year.

Between 1080p and 4k yeah but I'm talking about 1800p on the Pro(60fps mode) vs 4k on the pro (30fps mode) is a lot harder to see the difference.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure where you're getting those opinions from. I don't even want to waste my too much time to debunk you. Shadow of Mordor is 4K nearly 95% of the time. Use your own time to waste debunking it.

No, I won't, because someone who says "you're wrong, but I won't bother proving it," isn't worth my time. All you want is a one-liner to sound superior, and no intelligent discussion. People who uninterested in having an intelligent discussion aren't worth my time.