PS3 wireless controller woes EDIT: no more!

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Text

Nonreplaceable batteries suck.

Turns out you don't have to "pair" the controllers each time with a cable.

To Sony's credit they have said they will replace any failed controller for free.

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
Originally posted by: binister
Text

Nonreplaceable batteries suck.

Even better is you have to pair your controller with the PS3 with a USB cable each time you turn it on.

Is this for real? That has to be the dumbest feature on a wireless controller.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Even better is you have to pair your controller with the PS3 with a USB cable each time you turn it on.

I think this part is false. You have to pair up the bluetooth controller similarly like you would a bluetooth earpiece and a phone when you first set everything up. After that, they should work together all the time.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

I think this part is false. You have to pair up the bluetooth controller similarly like you would a bluetooth earpiece and a phone when you first set everything up. After that, they should work together all the time.

I am just going off of what the article said. But it was a translation of a japanese page so maybe something was lost in the translation.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Non-replaceable batteries for a controller is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Ipod batteries are considered not replaceable, doesn't mean you can't do it though.

I'm sure someone will come up with something pretty quickly.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: lokiju
Ipod batteries are considered not replaceable, doesn't mean you can't do it though.

I'm sure someone will come up with something pretty quickly.

I'm waiting for the "exploding controllers" from shoddy Sony batteries.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Queasy

I am just going off of what the article said. But it was a translation of a japanese page so maybe something was lost in the translation.

I think what the article means is like this:
The PS2 has a switch on the back of it like regular power supplies do, when switched off it cuts power to EVERYTHING, and nothing works at all until you turn it back on. When the switch is on, the red light on the front glows, and you can press the button to power on your PS2.

The PS3 is probably going to be the same way, as long as you don't turn off the PS3 with the switch on the back, you won't have to reconnect your controllers to the USB cable to sync them. If you do happen to turn it off with the back switch, or the power goes out, or you get a brownout, then you'll have to pair them back up. Sounds really lame, but I'm not one to like the PS3 anyways.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
next thing theyll be telling us is the ps3 ships with aol and bluehippo promo offers.
and sells all the info you put on it to marketing comnpanies.
causes cancer.
causes mental disorders.
makes your dick fall off.
blu ray creates a low pitched hum that drives females away

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
wow, read the damn article

Those wondering about battery life will be happy to note the controller is expected to get about 30 hours of playtime out of one 2.5 hour charge. As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.

does not sound like a big deal to me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: slayer202

Those wondering about battery life will be happy to note the controller is expected to get about 30 hours of playtime out of one 2.5 hour charge. As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.

How much are they going to charge you for repairs though? User-replaceable batteries make more sense.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

How much are they going to charge you for repairs though? User-replaceable batteries make more sense.

I guess it will vary from user to user. I guess some won't be capable of working a screwdriver.

edit: Third party controllers and/or third party replacement batteries will probably make this a dead issue pretty quickly.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005

does not sound like a big deal to me.

Not a big deal? Both of those options cost money and time. It is a big deal.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001

With standard NiMH batteries you should be able to get several thousand charges in before they can't be charged anymore. That would be over 30,000 hrs playtime.

It still is lame, but it's not THAT big a deal.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vortex22
I'm waiting for the "exploding controllers" from shoddy Sony batteries.
It's the replacement for rumble.

But seriously, after 30,000 hours of use your controller might not keep a charge, but it will probably also be worn out mechanically as well.

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004
what morons...I guess Microsoft's engineers must be geniuses to figure out the whole user replaceable battery thing...

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sony batteries...

Does this mean all that "live action" feel will come from your hands exploding? :)

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: flashbacck

With standard NiMH batteries you should be able to get several thousand charges in before they can't be charged anymore. That would be over 30,000 hrs playtime.

Of course it gets 30,000hrs of playtime...no rumble. ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: oCxTiTaN
what morons...I guess Microsoft's engineers must be geniuses to figure out the whole user replaceable battery thing...

Nah, they just decided not to nickel & dime you to death on the controllers.

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004
Oh? So you should have to buy a new controller when it won't hold a charge instead of having something like this or this available?

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
I like my Wavebird. I can open a cover and change batteries whenever I want to. That way, if my batteries die, I can just swap a new set in. User replaceable batteries really make more sense. If you forget to charge your PS3 controller, you'll have to go play real football or come nef on ATOT for 4 hours while it charges...