PS3 vs Xbox 360 size comparison (side by side, 16 pics) **Updated**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I think the PS3 looks great. Very clean lines reminiscent of an old school PPI amp. The 360 looks like a retarded attempt of some mac device.

TheCrackedJack

Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: nutxo
I think the PS3 looks great. Very clean lines reminiscent of an old school PPI amp. The 360 looks like a retarded attempt of some mac device.
I think it looks great to, standing up. I like the 360's design as well though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
And it'll sell well in Japan, completely dismissing the argument that the Japanese care about the size of their consoles and that's why the Xbox 1 didn't do well. Realistically, the Japanese are just hardcore about taking care of "their own".

yup, the "xbox is too big for japanese homes" is what they kept saying last time:p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Buahaha! :):

Dana Jongewaard, editor of Official PlayStation Magazine, says in her 1Up blog that even she will be passing up the PlayStation 3 this November for the less-expensive and currently available Xbox 360. Yes, the OPM editor says she is turning to the "dark side" and picking up the less expensive console. She writes:

But when I know that a console's direct competitors cost two-thirds or half of that price, it becomes harder for me to justify shelling out that kind of money. $600 might be worth it if there were several huge titles on the near horizon that were PS3-exclusive. But for the first year at least, there are very few big titles that are PS3 exclusive. GTA4 and Assassins will be available for the 360 at the same time.

The other big reason for people to shell out $600, BluRay, is frankly something I don't care about. So ultimately, I can't justify it. $600 is a lot of money, especially when I can get what -- for me at least -- will be a very similar experience for $400. I would like to own a PS3, and I hope that the price drops soon so I can consider it.

So there you have it. Even the OPM editor seems to be a bit discouraged by the start of the PS3. It's starting to look like Sony will really have to come out with some great exclusives to sell people on the console as months pass by. That first year, though, is shaping up to be a rough one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/12/opm-editor-doesnt-even-want-a-ps3-yet/
http://opm.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7344653&publicUserId=5380375#comments

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Remeber all the Playstation fanboys who said they hated Xbox and listed that the Xbox being bigger than the PS2 as one of the reasons? Now what are they going to say?

Also, many Japanese people said this same things. Wonder what they will say this time when the PS3 sells really well in Japan.

Someone needs to get that picture of the shuttle lift and put a PS3 on it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
PS3 looks much better than the 360 to me.

About the size.. the HD DVD player add on for the 360, makes it bigger, and bulkier than the PS3. Not that it matters to me.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I like it. I like it a lot better than the Wii (wtf?) and the 360 in any case. It's like Microsoft took the PS2 and painted it white...

And yet it is STILL smaller than the original xbox lol

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Looney
Originally posted by: yllus
And it'll sell well in Japan, completely dismissing the argument that the Japanese care about the size of their consoles and that's why the Xbox 1 didn't do well. Realistically, the Japanese are just hardcore about taking care of "their own".

Man, you have no idea how wrong you are on that. The Japanese have an obsession with American culture. The reason why the Xbox1 didn't do so well in Japan was because of the games. Even i know the Xbox were really only good for sports games, and the PS2 was far superior in RPGs, which is what the Japanese like.

Which is exactly why the 360 won't do well there, either

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Buahaha! :):

Dana Jongewaard, editor of Official PlayStation Magazine, says in her 1Up blog that even she will be passing up the PlayStation 3 this November for the less-expensive and currently available Xbox 360. Yes, the OPM editor says she is turning to the "dark side" and picking up the less expensive console. She writes:

But when I know that a console's direct competitors cost two-thirds or half of that price, it becomes harder for me to justify shelling out that kind of money. $600 might be worth it if there were several huge titles on the near horizon that were PS3-exclusive. But for the first year at least, there are very few big titles that are PS3 exclusive. GTA4 and Assassins will be available for the 360 at the same time.

The other big reason for people to shell out $600, BluRay, is frankly something I don't care about. So ultimately, I can't justify it. $600 is a lot of money, especially when I can get what -- for me at least -- will be a very similar experience for $400. I would like to own a PS3, and I hope that the price drops soon so I can consider it.

So there you have it. Even the OPM editor seems to be a bit discouraged by the start of the PS3. It's starting to look like Sony will really have to come out with some great exclusives to sell people on the console as months pass by. That first year, though, is shaping up to be a rough one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/12/opm-editor-doesnt-even-want-a-ps3-yet/
http://opm.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7344653&publicUserId=5380375#comments

Straight out of the EX employee that worked for OPM. Or they will feel really bad for her and throw at here the newest and greates Sony tv and surround sound hook up along with the very first PS3 but thats not gonna happen. Cost to much, cheaper to let her go.

What I dont howerver like about the new ps3 is the fact I cannot stank other consoles ontop of each other. I have my 3do on the bottom, my PS2 on that, then my xbox, and finnaly my GC and DC on the xbox.

Try to do that with the new PS3 and the will all slide off the top :(

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
PS3 - 9.8 cm × 32.5 cm × 27.4 cm = 8726.9 cm^3
The PS3 uses an internal power supply
Final size = 8726.9 cm^3

XBox 360 - 29.5 cm x 25.8 cm x 8.3 cm = 6317.13 cm^3
Xbox 360 power brick - 21.3 cm x 7.6 cm x 5.7 cm = 922.72 cm^3
Final size = 7239.85 cm^3

Difference - PS3 is slightly larger by about 1500 cm^3, or one and a half liters. Those pictures actually make this difference look much smaller than that, to which I say the PS3 has a much better design. How does one hide a liter and a half of volume like that? Side by side the PS3 looks barely fatter and barely taller than the Xbox 360 without the power brick in the picture.

In all honesty, the PS3 is just barely bigger and it's a completely self-contained unit. Does anyone else remember the original 360 line being screwed up because the power brick overheated easily if it was resting on a good insulator? With the HD-DVD attachment the XBox 360 will probably be about the same size