PS3 and PS4 controller charging

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
So I just got a PS4 Pro but still have my original fat PS3. I have one controller for each and wanted to look into charging stations. Is there such a thing as a charging station that can charge both of those controllers (preferably at the same time)?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Oh interesting. So it works with normal USB power charging? I'm not that handy but perhaps a powered USB hub then?

Oct 20, 2005
The PS3 controllers charge via Mini-USB, whereas the PS4 controllers charge via Micro-USB.

I'm sure there are 3rd party companies that make chargers that hold both controllers. Otherwise you can just plug those controllers into any USB port (ie your computer) so long as you have the right cables (Mini vs Micro-USB).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh interesting. So it works with normal USB power charging? I'm not that handy but perhaps a powered USB hub then?
Yeah I have it in my kitchen and use it to charge whatever i need to charge - phones, headphones, controllers, 3d glasses, etc. It's really easy to install even if you don't have any electrical background. Took me about 15 minutes, 10 of that double and triple checking I had the circuit shut off lol.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Been awhile since I had a PS3, but on the PS4 controller without an official or authorized charger, it will not charge with any USB charger when the console is off. It will charge in rest mode or if it's on.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Been awhile since I had a PS3, but on the PS4 controller without an official or authorized charger, it will not charge with any USB charger when the console is off. It will charge in rest mode or if it's on.

there's a setting for how long it powers the USB ports in rest mode - i think the default is 3 hours

i use this for the PS4, but it wont work with PS3 controllers because they use a different size usb
https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-DualS...VJJO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1480678335&sr=8-9

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006

Hmm... so are you saying if rest mode stays on, I can charge it with something other than the PS4?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Hmm... so are you saying if rest mode stays on, I can charge it with something other than the PS4?

you can charge the controller with ANYTHING. you can use your cell phone charger provided it has the correct USB end

the PS4 only charges the controllers when it is 1) turned on, or 2) in rest mode

if you turn the PS4 "OFF" it will not charge anything

not sure if the PS3 behaves the same way or not

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Hmm... do you know this for a fact? I ask because, for example, I tried my iPhone wall adaptor on the USB cable and neither PS3 nor PS4 controller charged.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Hmm... do you know this for a fact? I ask because, for example, I tried my iPhone wall adaptor on the USB cable and neither PS3 nor PS4 controller charged.

Apple chargers specifically won't work, but any Android (or generic) USB charger will work just fine

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002

PS4 controller can charge off the iPhone wall adaptor, but you have to use a USB charge only cable. Data wires are unused or not straight through on such cables. I actually recommend buying a few when travelling and you want to charge in a public charging stations such as airports, coffee shops, etc.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
PS4 controller can charge off the iPhone wall adaptor, but you have to use a USB charge only cable. Data wires are unused or not straight through on such cables. I actually recommend buying a few when travelling and you want to charge in a public charging stations such as airports, coffee shops, etc.

I've never heard of this before. I have a few micro-USB cables from monoprice and they work for both charging and data. It will not charge from an iPhone charger because the amperage is lower, 1A for the iPhone charger vs 2A for a charger I have from a Samsung phone which works fine. The iPad chargers are high enough amperage to work properly with the PS3/PS4 controllers because they are 2.1A.