PS2 owners, are you happy?

cool0221

Mar 20, 2001
PS2 owners, are you happy? I just owned a PS2 recently and was very upset about the anandtech review on the consoles, especially the part where they say PS2 games are fully of low resolution textures and slowdowns...

:(:(:(

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Im content, you cant ask for alot from consoles. There is slow-down but its not that bad at all. When you look at the quality of gameplay and the quality of the graphics on a TV, its quite fun. I'de much rather be pulling crazy combos in NBA street then running around aimlessly shooting everything in sight, Half Life IMO kinna sucks, I really dont see what people see in it. Unreal Tournament is fun but like most games on the computer, is quite repetitive. Honestly I dont see how you can complain about a little slow down here and there, even the fastest computer sometimes gets slow-down in games also. I think your setting your standards a little to high.

cool0221

Mar 20, 2001
Yeah, I am a convert from PC(gf3) to PS2 so I am so used to high resolution textures and graphics, unfortunately PC doesn't offer very exciting arcade style gameplay as consoles so that's why I made the switch plus the seamless benchmarking and debugging for PC platforms which I am tired of.

MGS2 is really cool, just wish every PS2 title could be close to its standard, then I am going to be very happy:)

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
definitely....with GT3, MGS2 and FFX on it's way how could i not be. still love pc games and sure they look a lot better but there just aren't that many that keep me occupied for hours and hours on end like the PS2

Tomek

Jun 28, 2000
yes, PS2 is good, especially the Gran Turismo games; but I still like my computer better...

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not stressing over the textures not being high resolution, I'm not that big a nit-picker. The games look fine to me, and the ones I have played pass the most important test to me, they are fun. I am having a hell of fun time right now playing Grand Theft Auto 3, and as soon as I'm done with it, there are plenty more games I want to try (MGS2, GT3, NBA Street, FFX, SSX Tricky, Silent Hill 2, etc). Its all about the games, and I am enjoying those so far. I'll let other people debate over textures and what not, but while they are bitching that the resolution isn't good enough, I'll be grinning ear to ear while ramming a stolen fire truck into a cop car on GTA3. Besides, I still have a nice powerful computer to enjoy all the great computer games if I want.

spazntwich1

Banned
Apr 22, 2001
I was one of those folks who pre-ordered in early summer of the launch year of the ps2, so I've had mine since launch day.

I've bought 4 games so far: NHL 2001, Oni, Rumble Racing, and Twisted Metal: Black. The only game I played for more than ~5 hours was Rumble Racing, but I must have played it for 40+ hours.

So in short, no, I'm not happy. I haven't dusted off the ps2 since late August, and I don't plan to anytime soon. The only 2 games that look at all enticing to me right now are Devil May Cry and MGS2. I'll wait for GTA3 to come out on PC before I buy it.

I'm really not happy with my ps2 purchase at all. Consequently, if anyone is interested in buying a (very good condition) ps2 off me, throw a PM over. :)

AkumaBao

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2001
Yes, it has a slow-down, but very rarely. The only game I own that it does that is Oni, and I have a lot of games. I just don't think it was programmed to well for the PS2. I am truly satisfied with my PS2, and there is so much more to come that will show more of it's capability. For instance, the game "ICO", Final Fantasy X, and GT3. Plus the LAN port is coming out soon, and the HDD. It's CPU, and GUI speed aren't as fast as the XBox, but after over a year of being out it the video chip is only 12MHz slower than the Gamecube, and with the ethernet you will be able to do updates to it, like a BIOS update, and other updates for games, and such. It even has a speed control for the DVD drive. Just thought I'd add that.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
cool0221, having purchased my PS2 just so that I could play GT3, the answer would be no, I am not disappointed. Sure it would be nice to have an X-Box, but getting a system that plays all my old games & having my PS on it's last breath of life, I cannot say that I am dissapointed or feel cheated for my 300 beans. For the record, I'm not talking bad about the other systems out there, but w/ my current library and GT3, why would I vote w/ my wallet to another system? Hope this helps.

cool0221

Mar 20, 2001
I am very happy now. I just bought a component video cable and hook it up with my 27" WEGA. Wow!!!! Didn't know there were so much "hidden detailes" !!! :):) MGS2 rocks!!!

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
i love my ps2, especially baldur's gate: dark alliance. I wouldn't take the latest reviews on Anandtech too seriously anymore. I'd just use the benchmarks and that's it. The rest of the reviews aren't that good anymore. (understandable, i am sure Anand has better things to do than write reviews in college ;) )

chocobaR

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2001
Really happy with my PS2. I rented Dynasty Warriors 3 this Saturday and played with a friend for like ten hours straight!

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I bought mine back in July of this year. I have not regretted it one bit...or was it in August? I forget. Anyways, I bought the GT3 pack and I have been pleased from the moment I started the machine up. I like the design and styling of the console it self, I prefer the PS2 controller over the GameCube and Xbox controllers. The GameCube isn't half bad, but some of the buttons are too large. The Xbox controller is like trying to play Counter-Strike by picking up my keyboard off of my desk. It's just too damn big. I don't care if it rumbles more or not, that thing is fat and bulky!

The PS2 has a HUGE game selection. Sure, the Xbox will rack up its titles, but it's not like the PS2 is stopping anytime soon. As previously mentioned, the LAN adapter, HDD, etc are all coming out for the PS2 so I have no worries of becoming outdated anytime soon. GTA3 is a godsend and MGS2 is.....Denise Richards...;) Hehehe.

Anywho, I haven't noticed lag that's very noticable. I guess I haven't been paying much attention to what quality there is, rather, what I'm doing in the game at that time.

In short, I love my PS2 and think every home should have one. :)

My $0.02