Prototype Macbook Pro with 3G: In my shop now!

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by AlricLantra, May 16, 2011.

1. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

auction pulled

2. swanysto

swanysto Golden Member

I wonder if Apple got wind and put a stop to it. I imagine they technically own the machine.

3. appleguru

appleguru Senior member

Seems like you've had quick the ride with this bad boy... If you ever make it back here, do tell what exactly is involved in removing and resoldering vias... FWIW, you're a re-work badass.

4. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Apple wants it back.:(

This actually looks to be quite the story. Apparently we did a lousy job convincing AlricLantra that it had any value as a collector's item, so he tried to sell it once via CL, only to end up losing in small claims court because the buyer thought they were getting a real (i.e. retail) MBP.:eek: Then he tried to sell it again via eBay, which is how it made the news and eventually caught Apple's attention.

I must say it's a shame that AlricLantra wasn't able to sell it to a proper collector. I still believe it has a significant value as a collector's piece (I mean it's an prototype for an never-released Apple product), but now it's going back to Apple and no doubt will be destroyed. Sorry things didn't work out for you, AlricLantra.:(

On the plus side, we made CNET. On the downside, they noted that most of you nimrods were too busy arguing over tethering to actually pay attention to the device.:p

5. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

I wonder if any money changed hands for the return.

Crazy story.

6. wantedSpidy

wantedSpidy Senior member

remember reading this thread long time back, and then just saw it on macrumors!

I hope OP made out with a lot of cash!!

7. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Haha, that's the part that I noticed as well. :)

I could help make our lunacy even worse by adding that the +$130 for an iPad also provides an assisted GPS. :p

8. Paperlantern

Paperlantern Platinum Member

This is funny, I actually came across this thread before and since it went so far off topic i didn't bother posting. Hilarious.

9. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Banned

I'm sorry anandtech didn't make a good impression for you, AlricLantra. :\
    If you ever come back here, what did you end up doing?

Haha, that's what caught my eye too. Damn AT, keep up with the negatives and divert from the original topic.