Protein Bars Are The Most Effective Way To Feed People

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
You don't have to refrigerate protein bars.

You don't have to cook protein bars.

Protein bars don't negatively effect the environment like meat from animals do.

Unlike protein powder, protein bars give your digestion something to do.

One thing that's problematic is some protein bars have a lot of sugar, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM!

Some brands that don't have a lot of sugar is the brands "think" "quest" "pure protein" and "nocow"

There are also vegan protein bars with limited sugar such as the "nocow" I just mentioned.

If you never had protein bars I suggest you try one, but try not to get the ones with a lot of sugar.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Like doughnuts. People definitely need doughnuts. And whisky! Protein bars, doughnuts, and whisky. Oh, and coffee. Protein bars, doughnuts, whisky, and coffee. I think that covers everything needed.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Where does the protein in protein bars come from? Is the naturally occurring protein supplemented with something like whey?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Protein bars are great especially for hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor activities. They fill you up quickly, are tasty, and are lightweight. And like you said, require no equipment to keep fresh.

But they have problems too. My digestive system is torn to shreds by just about any protein bar. Most have too much whey which for me causes severe gas. Yes, there are some meat bars and some pea protein bars and rarely other forms of protein, but read on. Often protein bars have no fiber, which causes severe constipation and thus gas. Or they make up for their lack of fiber with too much added fiber, which causes severe diarrhea and thus gas. I have to keep to a strict 1/2 protein bar per day limit and even that is pushing it a bit. I'm often self-propelled up the mountain when hiking (and not from my feet).

That, and one protein bar costs just about the daily salary of many people around the world.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The only useful purpose of a protein bar is basically dealing with crisis in which food spoilage will occur.

Otherwise, more volatile, less processed protein is better because there's other stuff that comes along with the protein, of which some chemicals have not be tracked down yet for study. The vitamins and minerals are the obvious things, and some can use the fiber. Even the categorization of plant vs animal is simplistic. I personally respond differently to beef than I do to fish, chicken, pork, mussels, or oysters. I probably am most addicted to unsalted peanut or almond butters these days than to any of the meat sources, but I am under no delusion that a peanut butter can replace land meat or fish entirely for me. Beef/Bison becomes repulsive if I eat over 4 pounds a month.
Then there's the non-fully industrialized humans, those who still are in touch with the wild and seek out organ meats like livers like other carnivore animals.

For me, fiber is not a laxative. It is a torture instrument for my anus because it adds bulk, literally making the shit harder to come out.

Plant-wise, eating them fresh or from a frozen package is superior because the sensitive vitamins are not stripped from the food source to process them into bars.

Shifting to "plants" in general shows only have un-nuanced people can be with regards to the growing of plants. Quinoa becoming popular might very well wreck the fields they are grown in due to the need to satisfy demand, and the quinoa you do get from those using industrial methods is bad quality compared to the hand-grown ones.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Where does the protein in protein bars come from?

sgd-fap.gif

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Protein bars are processed food. Haven't you heard you should stay away from processed food? :rolleyes:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only useful purpose of a protein bar is basically dealing with crisis in which food spoilage will occur.
Wrong.
See this post:
Protein bars are great especially for hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor activities. They fill you up quickly, are tasty, and are lightweight. And like you said, require no equipment to keep fresh.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We had an intern this year who found eating to be a chore. Said if he could just swallow a few pills each day and not have to eat he'd love it.
That is deeply depressing. Food should be fun! I have patients at work that are tube fed and exactly all of them would do anything to be able to eat again!

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That is deeply depressing. Food should be fun! I have patients at work that are tube fed and exactly all of them would do anything to be able to eat again!
I expressed something not dissimilar, but nowhere near as draconian to a prescient GF many years ago and was swiftly put in my place (she was good at that). I said it because I had had difficulty dedicating myself to resolving deep psychological challenges and figured enjoying food to be distracting. She said something like "everyone enjoys eating food." Chastened, I made no reply.

I'm reminded of a guy I met who went to The California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech), many years ago. I was introduced to him by a close friend from high school, who was also attending Cal Tech, on a scholarship. The guy explains that he thinks machines can be invented to do everything humans do. He says this in such a way as to convey the idea that there's nothing that a human is capable of that machines are not also capable of. I refuted him. I heard not long after that he'd committed suicide.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Not toast. Good bread doesn't need to be toasted. It's perfect as-is. Sadly that is not easy to find in US. One thing I recall about visiting Switzerland as a teen was how delicious the normal market bread was.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wrong.
See this post:
Fair enough, not just for crises. Although, sometimes a crisis might occur doing such activities. Or that the situation is a temporary quasi-crisis due to the lack of amenities, particularly refrigeration, while performing such activities.

Not dealing with food spoilage remains the common thread.