protecting my house

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: boomerang
Originally posted by: Corbett
I just installed my own alarm recently.

I had called ADT and Brinks prior but they both wanted long term 3 year contracts. On top of that, I dont have a phone line, only cell phone. So each quoted me about $100 for the alarm, but $45 a month for monitoring since they had to monitor over the cell network.

I decided to install my own from homesecuritystore.com Cost about $250 and took about 3 hours to install and program.

Then I went to NextAlarm.com and bought their ABN Broadband router to monitor my alarm via the internet for only $10 a month!

I'm exteremly happy with my decision.
That sounds like a great setup.

QFT post under the forums 'sales' for advice.

A basic security system like any of the ADT, Brinks, etc sell you is not too expensive, but doesn't really protect you.

All of them rely on using only 1 or a few motion detectors believing a crook will walk around your house through 'common' areas.

You probably don't have to sensor every window if you are using motion/IR and glass / shock sensors...but the more layers you have the better.

Alway keep in mind the easiest by-pass to any security system is simply cutting the 1/4" phone cable in the back of anyone's home.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
So is the hardware tied to the company, or is it universal ? For instance, I am in escrow on a house that is wired for *I believe* ADT.. Will I have to stick with them for monitoring, or can I go to a 3rd party ?

I take it, the alarm system is pretty worthless without the monitoring eh ? I guess it could give you a pre-warning if you are home. Maybe I will just leave it off, but leave the sickers on the windows ;)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: boomerang
Originally posted by: Corbett
I just installed my own alarm recently.

I had called ADT and Brinks prior but they both wanted long term 3 year contracts. On top of that, I dont have a phone line, only cell phone. So each quoted me about $100 for the alarm, but $45 a month for monitoring since they had to monitor over the cell network.

I decided to install my own from homesecuritystore.com Cost about $250 and took about 3 hours to install and program.

Then I went to NextAlarm.com and bought their ABN Broadband router to monitor my alarm via the internet for only $10 a month!

I'm exteremly happy with my decision.
That sounds like a great setup.

QFT post under the forums 'sales' for advice.

A basic security system like any of the ADT, Brinks, etc sell you is not too expensive, but doesn't really protect you.

All of them rely on using only 1 or a few motion detectors believing a crook will walk around your house through 'common' areas.

You probably don't have to sensor every window if you are using motion/IR and glass / shock sensors...but the more layers you have the better.

Alway keep in mind the easiest by-pass to any security system is simply cutting the 1/4" phone cable in the back of anyone's home.

Better systems will have alarms/back-ups for the cutting of telephone lines, power, etc. and will then make cell phone alarm calls.

Dec 27, 2001
Once I start backing up photos offsite I can replace everything I own. My only concern is home invaders when we're home, so I just need early alert system to give me time to get to a handgun and call 911 from a cell phone in the bedroom.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Which is why the cell-ohone connect for our system was such a plus to us...if the land-line gets cut/disconnected, the cell phone system automatically reports that to Monitronics, who contacts us by our cell phones immediately.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Thanks for the input. We do have a few motion sensors around the house, they are nice. My wife and I are also trained on the use and care of firearms and go to training classes and we go to the range at least 3 times a month. I've made appointments for a few local companys to come out and give a quote.