Prosecution of the ignoble John Edwards closes.

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
He is a phony and scumbag to boot, but the case is weak I think.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Man, the hype about Edwards.

His wrongs - treating his wife badly cheating to father a child, hiding it - are just nothing incomparison to what every Republican leader has done in policy.

A few of them have done as bad or worse in the same thing - but they're all guilty of far worse in how they serve corrupt interests.

A lot of these guys cheat. Edwards had good policies and he cheated and hid it.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

His wrongs - treating his wife badly cheating to father a child, hiding it - are just nothing incomparison to what every Republican leader has done in policy.

A few of them have done as bad or worse in the same thing - but they're all guilty of far worse in how they serve corrupt interests.

Posting right on time, just like a good little puppet.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

so what you're saying, is that because other people did similar or worse things, it's ok?

sound logic there, craig :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

He took campaign money to hide it. That's the basis for criminal charges. He's scum which used illegal means to hide it. "Oh those republicans". Hell with that kind of logic one could excuse a mass murderer because Hitler was worse.

What a partisan apologist you are.

Read this

HE IS UP ON CHARGES FOR CRIMINAL USE OF CAMPAIGN FUNDS.

Oh, you wont, because you don't read what people who put you in your place write.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
so what you're saying, is that because other people did similar or worse things, it's ok?

sound logic there, craig :hmm::hmm::hmm:

So what you're saying is you support the holocaust?

No, that's not what I said, so be more careful when claiming what I said.

Was the word "wrong" in my post to describe his "wrongs" a word you are unfamiliar with, thinking "wrong" is a synonym for "ok"? That's what you said.

My statement was that his wrongs are being greatly exaggerated, placed far too high on the scale of wrongdoing by politicians.

Would an analogy help you? If not, mind if I post one to be conscending like it might?

"Mitt Romney putting his dog on the roof of the car is the worst thing a politician did in the 20th century".

Fenix: That's exaggerating his wrong.

"So you think abusing animals is ok?"

Edwards' public approval ratings are reportedly the lowest of any nationally known politician right now - I heard 3%.

That is a greatly exaggerated reaction to his wrongs - and it's important to note how the public fails to understand the far worse wrongs being done.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

John Edwards is a tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Ends with playing a clip of him lying.

Ditches his wife for a mistress, lies about it, deserts her while she's dying then uses campaign funds to hide it instead of his own fortune.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

He could be the biggest piece of shit on earth and not be guilty of the charges against him. He makes me sick but that doesn't make him guilty. That is for the jury to decide. They are supposed to make their decisions on the evidence and the law. Let's hope for the sake of innocent people who seem to be very guilty that emotion isn't calling the shots. If you deserve a fair trial so does he. I have more reason to hate that swine than most because I used to think he was a good guy. But the only thing that should convict him are facts.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
He could be the biggest piece of shit on earth and not be guilty of the charges against him. He makes me sick but that doesn't make him guilty. That is for the jury to decide. They are supposed to make their decisions on the evidence and the law. Let's hope for the sake of innocent people who seem to be very guilty that emotion isn't calling the shots. If you deserve a fair trial so does he. I have more reason to hate that swine than most because I used to think he was a good guy. But the only thing that should convict him are facts.

Oh, you with your level-headed, measured responses all the time...get with it, we're trying to pre-jury lynch someone here!

Apr 27, 2012

So John Edwards is innocent because the Republicans did worse, brilliant!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This trial is too emo. Seems like he's being prosecuted for being a bad husband.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So what you're saying is you support the holocaust?

No, that's not what I said, so be more careful when claiming what I said.

Was the word "wrong" in my post to describe his "wrongs" a word you are unfamiliar with, thinking "wrong" is a synonym for "ok"? That's what you said.

My statement was that his wrongs are being greatly exaggerated, placed far too high on the scale of wrongdoing by politicians.

Would an analogy help you? If not, mind if I post one to be conscending like it might?

"Mitt Romney putting his dog on the roof of the car is the worst thing a politician did in the 20th century".

Fenix: That's exaggerating his wrong.

"So you think abusing animals is ok?"

Edwards' public approval ratings are reportedly the lowest of any nationally known politician right now - I heard 3%.

That is a greatly exaggerated reaction to his wrongs - and it's important to note how the public fails to understand the far worse wrongs being done.

wtf is this "holocaust is ok" bullshit you're spewing?

edwards cheated on his wife and broke campaign finance laws. those are both shitty things to do.

saying other people have done worse in no way diminishes what he's done.

but i guess crashing a car into a river and deserting the scene is ok by you, right, since republicans have surely done worse? (there is absolutely no logic to that argument, which is the point i'm trying to make about what you said)

Last edited:

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
I won't argue that Edwards was a scumbag, but the evidence presented hardly proves that he tried to direct funds from his campaign to his mistress. While someone else might have done so, there is no proof that Edwards directed that effort. That saying, "If the glove doesn't fit".
So another little shit gets away.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I could sarcastically say, John Edwards is a fine human being, he gave an ugly woman a pity fuck and fathered a fine little girl in the process. Don't send her daddy to jail.

Or we could ask the question, how has John Edward's hurt us? Maybe he disappointed a few campaign finance donors who somehow did not see how opportunist he was, but dishonest John did not hurt me a bit.

As to Bernie Madoff, and the Enron's Kenny Boy Lay, that did a lot more damage. And it pales in comparison to GWB and his merry band of lying neocons who lied us into a phony war in Iraq that killed 4500 Americans and at least 100,000 Iraqis. And cost our government at least 2 trillion dollars.

Somehow its hard to get all worked up about John Edwards.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Please tell me you get paid for your partisan hackery.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, Edwards is a piece of shit. Yet oddly, I somewhat agree with Craig here. I don't see why this man is reviled so much more than other philandering politicians (let alone those who do worse than philandering). Yes, I see the issue of misuse of campaign funds, but that as yet is unproven, and if memory serves, it didn't come out until a year or so after the adultery scandal hit. It seems like he was pretty reviled before anyone even knew about that. Even if he's acquitted, his political career is not only dead, I'm not so sure he could get a job at McDonalds.

Is it because his wife had cancer? Yeah, that makes it even shittier.

Then again... Newt cheated on TWO sick wifes, and dumped both of them. And he got to run for POTUS and even topped the polls for a time.

Then there is Eliot Spitzer to give another example. His wife wasn't sick. However, he serially cheated with prostitutes, an illegal act. Yet Spitzer gets spots all over the media and even has his own show now on Court TV. I wouldn't be surprised if Spitzer could even run for office again some day. Meanwhile, Edwards is so toxic no one will touch him with a 10' pole.

So what is it that makes Edwards the devil incarnate while these others are just ordinary assholes?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Yeah, Edwards is a piece of shit. Yet oddly, I somewhat agree with Craig here. I don't see why this man is reviled so much more than other philandering politicians (let alone those who do worse than philandering). Yes, I see the issue of misuse of campaign funds, but that as yet is unproven, and if memory serves, it didn't come out until a year or so after the adultery scandal hit. It seems like he was pretty reviled before anyone even knew about that. Even if he's acquitted, his political career is not only dead, I'm not so sure he could get a job at McDonalds.

Is it because his wife had cancer? Yeah, that makes it even shittier.

Then again... Newt cheated on TWO sick wifes, and dumped both of them. And he got to run for POTUS and even topped the polls for a time.

Then there is Eliot Spitzer to give another example. His wife wasn't sick. However, he serially cheated with prostitutes, an illegal act. Yet Spitzer gets spots all over the media and even has his own show now on Court TV. I wouldn't be surprised if Spitzer could even run for office again some day. Meanwhile, Edwards is so toxic no one will touch him with a 10' pole.

So what is it that makes Edwards the devil incarnate while these others are just ordinary assholes?

Don't forget how John McCain cheated on and left his disfigured wife!

I think Newt, McCain, and Edwards should start a club.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I don't think anyone can say what is truth, what seems to be the truth and what may not be the truth absent being confronted by the testimony and then only if you are able to observe the testimony giver's demeanor and what ever other indicators there may be.

It is obvious that the Prosecutor has presented the best case they could and it sits before the judge with a motion to dismiss...

IF I assume that I'd find all the testimony reliable I'm not too sure I would not dismiss... if I were the judge... I just don't see that Edwards actually knew about the funds transfer... The Government essentially stipulated that the Girlfriend would not say Edwards knew... It seems to me (unless I missed some important bits) any potential damaging evidence was covered on Cross.

I agree Edwards like Ginglerich are less than honorable and cads and all that... And, I'm not saying he's innocent... the legal terms are guilty or not guilty... and that is what I think... probably not guilty at this point.. and here comes the defense...

Often, it is best to say... 'If True' then present the comments but geepers to say the comments with out any doubt when no one knows the truth seems a bit biased to me. Again... assuming I have all the relevant facts of the trial...