Pros/Cons of switching from DirecTV to Dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Been a long time DirecTV user. I like it a lot except that it's unbearably slow a lot of the time and they are charging me way too much per month. So considering switching to Dish Network. Had Dish Network long long ago, I do remember the guide and everything being quite fast though. I wonder if DishNetwork is still much faster than DirecTV.

If you list some Pros/Cons of the two services, that will help me make up my mind.

I will try to finagle a better deal with DirecTV before cancelling their service, but I doubt they will come down too much. They'll probably offer 3 free months of Showtime/Starz or some other crap I don't want.

PS, do any HD receivers out there have 3 tuners yet? Being able to record 3 things at once would be nice :) - Having to record 3 shows at once also a good sign you're watching way too much TV.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well I currently have Dish Network and I do like the service. However before jumping in there are some things that you may want to be aware of: 1) Last month at CES they officially unveiled their whole home DVR solution aka the "Hopper" 2) Currently this system is not available to new subscribers or existing subscribers, no official release date has been given. 3) Current speculation is that the new system may become available sometime in the summer That being said if you do not need a whole home DVR solution their current line of equipment is quite nice. The new system does have a prettier interface than the current generation of receivers. However for my money my current 722k receiver works just fine and the interface looks just fine to me as well. Overall speed of the receiver has been quick and responsive with no real issues to speak of aside from having to replace the unit. The new Hopper DVR will have 3 tuners however as stated it still has not been released. The 722k receiver does have an optional OTA module that you can install that will give you 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners for a total of four tuners, really only helpful if you watch programming from the main broadcasts networks but it is helpful for some.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If you dislike DirecTV you will hate Dish.

We had Dish 2 years ago, and foolishly, switched to Uverse. Overall, Dish was a bit better...then we switched to ComCrap. Their menu/interface sucked, but overall, was better quality than Uverse. Now we have DirecTV. I'm NOT impressed. Their new menu/interface is pretty decent, but the programming seems to be filled with more "informercial crap" than "real" shows.
Still, picture quality is decent. <shrug>

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I've had both services and only changed because of promo price.

The Dish DVR is superior but Directv has NFL (if that matters to you)

I reluctantly switched from Dish to Directv when Dish wouldn't give me steep enough loyalty discounts (after 2 years subscribing).

In my current experience, Directv, while more expensive pound for pound, is giving me more discounts when I call and threaten to quit them. Dish was good at discounting, but I have to say that Directv has been more proactive/assertive in keeping cheapos like me loyal. Your experience may be different as all this discount stuff is usually regional (I'm in N. Cali.)

Bottom line, is that you can't go wrong with either one (waaay better than Comcast and ATT Uverse--I've had both as well over the years). Choose a package that has your favorite channels for the best price and go with that service. After two years, revisit your promos situation....or not. :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I had DirectTV from 2004-2006. Every time it rained lightly I got snow on the screen. If it poured I lost all signal. If the wind blew the picture got jumpy/stuttery.

If Satellite TV is your only option then you've gotta go w/what you've got. I currently have AT&T Uverse (phone/internet/TV) and frankly, it kicks ass. No issues whatsoever. The DVR is easily programmable and does what you tell it to. HD picture quality is actually HD. It isn't the cheapest thing out there but for no issues? It's worth every penny.

I've never had FIOS, but would love to have the chance to experience it. It's the only thing I can see better than a good old copper connection.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Been a long time DirecTV user. I like it a lot except that it's unbearably slow a lot of the time and they are charging me way too much per month. So considering switching to Dish Network. Had Dish Network long long ago, I do remember the guide and everything being quite fast though. I wonder if DishNetwork is still much faster than DirecTV.

If you list some Pros/Cons of the two services, that will help me make up my mind.

I will try to finagle a better deal with DirecTV before cancelling their service, but I doubt they will come down too much. They'll probably offer 3 free months of Showtime/Starz or some other crap I don't want.

PS, do any HD receivers out there have 3 tuners yet? Being able to record 3 things at once would be nice :) - Having to record 3 shows at once also a good sign you're watching way too much TV.
which receiver do you have? they just released new HR34 that is real nice. i have a HR24 and have no problems with speed on it. i would call and say you are going to dish and get them to give you bunch of stuff :)

Oct 19, 2000
Anybody I've ever known that switched from DirecTV to Dish have regretted it instantly. I have two friends currently who are simply waiting for their 2-year contract to expire so they can switch back.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
HR34 has 5 tuners

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I have the same question.

I'm sick of Directv and their rediculousy pricing. My bill is $110 and going up this month.

I have:

No premiums
No ST

2xhr20
Hr24
WHDVR

And that's it.

Dish has the hopper coming out and I can actually add a room if needed. I've looked at their prices, and with what I'm paying Directv, I could pay Dish and get damn near every channel including all the premiums. Plus, it would be $77 for the first year.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
We had Dish 2 years ago, and foolishly, switched to Uverse. Overall, Dish was a bit better...then we switched to ComCrap. Their menu/interface sucked, but overall, was better quality than Uverse. Now we have DirecTV. I'm NOT impressed. Their new menu/interface is pretty decent, but the programming seems to be filled with more "informercial crap" than "real" shows.
Still, picture quality is decent. <shrug>

Directv doesn't control this... except for 101 which is their own channel

I had DirectTV from 2004-2006. Every time it rained lightly I got snow on the screen. If it poured I lost all signal. If the wind blew the picture got jumpy/stuttery.

If Satellite TV is your only option then you've gotta go w/what you've got. I currently have AT&T Uverse (phone/internet/TV) and frankly, it kicks ass. No issues whatsoever. The DVR is easily programmable and does what you tell it to. HD picture quality is actually HD. It isn't the cheapest thing out there but for no issues? It's worth every penny.

I've never had FIOS, but would love to have the chance to experience it. It's the only thing I can see better than a good old copper connection.

This depends heavily on how good your signal is and how well the installation technician did aligning the dish... if you are above 90 in all, this will not happen.

I have the same question.

I'm sick of Directv and their rediculousy pricing. My bill is $110 and going up this month.

I have:

No premiums
No ST

2xhr20
Hr24
WHDVR

And that's it.

Dish has the hopper coming out and I can actually add a room if needed. I've looked at their prices, and with what I'm paying Directv, I could pay Dish and get damn near every channel including all the premiums. Plus, it would be $77 for the first year.

Call them... at any given time, I usually have around 25 dollars in discounts per month.

A couple other notes:
-the directv dvr's got a TON faster from the HR24's and up.
-the SD boxes and HD boxes w/o DVR are a ton faster than any box with DVR capability.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Recently switched to Dish from DTV, when after being a 5 year customer at the highest level, couldnt get a cheap/free equipment upgrade.

My thoughts.

:) My dish DVR has more space than my directv one.

:( I like the directv menus better than the Dish ones. setting up the DVR to record every new episode (skipping reruns) of a series was a PITA.

:) Dish can support multiple TV's per receiver, Directv couldnt.

:( My wife misses having the sprout channel for our children.

:) I like having the HD red-zone channel for $7 per month, without the $400 cost of NFL Sunday Ticket.

:) Dish's monthly bill for the same level of programming was cheaper, even after the 6 month promo expired.

:thumbsdown: Neither one carries PCNC which is my State/Local version of MSNBC for state government legislature & supreme court tv.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Anybody I've ever known that switched from DirecTV to Dish have regretted it instantly. I have two friends currently who are simply waiting for their 2-year contract to expire so they can switch back.

BS.

I've had BOTH for years and they're both great...much better than Comcrap (pricing) and ATT FIOS (DVR).

Dish has the better DVR. Directv has NFL.

<-----Currently on Directv.

darom

Dec 3, 2002
DirectTV's pricing per month was driving me insane. Each month the fees were different, it seemed like a superlotto - which numbers can we guess for the next month ...

We switched the Uverse after their sales team did a 2 hour spiel at my house promising a non-contract fixed pricing per month deal for us. After they left and the equipment was installed, the pricing went out of the window. The sales team does its best at selling, while the accounting H.Q. does its best at forgetting what sales team promised. I had the pre-contract/order sheet in writing when I called the AT&T a dozen times trying to get my pricing back.

Things that added to the frustration with AT&T:
1. Service reps work 8-5pm. or 8-4:30pm. Basically, if you have to work, you have to call from home to save your co-workers from experiencing your pain over the phone conversation.
2. The automated phone system will do its best to prevent you from reaching a live person.
3. Regular reps don't help much, you need to get hold of the shift manager to do anything.

I managed to get my discounts back for the 1st six months, then the Manager just plain told me that we are not going to honor what had been promised to you, Sir.

If you want to have fun, every time they tell you over the phone if it is ok with you to record the conversation for their own educational purposes, tell them that you are RECORDING them too! Then a pause follows: "Excuse me, Sir, can I get back to you on this request?"

A summary:
- DirectTV HD image quality was much better. The U-Verse sometimes does a $hitty pixelation job on HD channels.
- The surfing channel speed is a little faster on U-Verse.
- It was easier to schedule channel recording with DirectTV (series, for example) or finding shows
- I like the U-Verse's DVR ability to record 3 or 4 channels at the same time.
- I don't like dealing with AT&T reps.

Last edited:

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i have had both and agree totally with you. dish customer service is horrible and lie to you constantly. over the last 4-5 years i have had comcast, dish and directv for TV service and of the 3 directv is the best choice service wise IMHO.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I just switched from Dish to Direct TV - DVR may have more capacity with Dish - but the ability to watch recorded shows in any room with Direct TV is a huge plus.

The biggest factor quite frankly was customer service - I had a dish box then went bad - they sent me a replacement. I got a new TV, asked them what to do in terms of hooking what box up to what TV -did exactly what they said to do - and it didn't work - their solution was to send someone out to my place - for a $75 fee.

Bu Bye Dish.

Direct TV has been great so far.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
:( I like the directv menus better than the Dish ones. setting up the DVR to record every new episode (skipping reruns) of a series was a PITA.

You were doing it wrong. My mom can get that done in 5 seconds and a few clicks.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
As far as "HD Image quality" nothing beats rabbit ears. It usually goes HD OTA / DirecTV / Dish / Comcast / Uverse / basic cable no HD.

I seriously dislike Uverse when it comes to TV. I seriously LIKE Uverse when it comes to Internet. I run my own PBX with SIP trunks/googlevoice at home for phone lines, so no brainer there.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
Why should DVR capacity be an issue? I believe the HRxx DVRs all have eSATA ports that are active. I have a pair of HR21s and they have external hard drives (1.5 & 2 TB). You simply connect the external drive, power it up, then power up the DVR and it detects the external drive, formats it, and uses it instead of the internal drive for recordings.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The only thing good about either one is the promo pricing, once that runs out you will not be happy. OTA beats it all and use online for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.