Property Manager vs USPS

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
10,572
3
71
My apartment doesn't have external mailboxes so the mail carrier drops off the bundle of mail in a mail slot and the resident property manager then takes it out and sorts it in our individual mailboxes. Here's where the quirky thing comes in.

1) He only checks our mail every 2-3 days and there's no other way for us to get it.
2) He actually throws away our junk mail. I asked him to go check the mail because I needed something very important and while he dug through the pile, he proceeded to throw out our 'junk' mail.

Now as cool as it is to have a real life spam filter, I don't think he has the authority to do that. I could've sworn it was illegal. What do you all think?
 

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
10,621
1
0
It seems like that would be illegal, but maybe the rules are different for bulk mail stuff versus first-class. I dunno.
 

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
4,602
0
76
Have you contacted USPS about this? I would consider this a problem that needs to be delt with ASAP. How far do you live from the PO? If your not too far I would consider having them hold my mail and pick it up from them.
 

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
15,903
4
81
Originally posted by: TuxDave
My apartment doesn't have external mailboxes so the mail carrier drops off the bundle of mail in a mail slot and the resident property manager then takes it out and sorts it in our individual mailboxes. Here's where the quirky thing comes in.

1) He only checks our mail every 2-3 days and there's no other way for us to get it.
2) He actually throws away our junk mail. I asked him to go check the mail because I needed something very important and while he dug through the pile, he proceeded to throw out our 'junk' mail.

Now as cool as it is to have a real life spam filter, I don't think he has the authority to do that. I could've sworn it was illegal. What do you all think?

I'm sure there is a federal offense taking place somewhere in what you described.

 

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
10,572
3
71
I'm gonna drop by the post office later today to send out some packages. I only discovered this last night. I was beginning to wonder why I would go for days with any mail including spam, and then get a crapload of mail on one day and STILL no spam.

Since I didn't get any of those 'preapproved' credit card offers anymore, I was beginning to worry that my credit rating went down.
 

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
4,683
1
81
What he is doing sounds illegal to me. Maybe he thinks he is doing you a favor? Have you talked to him about it yet?
 

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
68,145
10
81
Originally posted by: bunker
Contact the post office.

yeap i would also.

He is breaking a law. he can not throw away any mail that is addressed to you.
 

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
10,572
3
71
Originally posted by: Thraxen
What he is doing sounds illegal to me. Maybe he thinks he is doing you a favor? Have you talked to him about it yet?

I'm going to look into it a little more before confronting him. He gave me all my junk mail since I was standing next to him... well... except for the weekly supermarket circular. I think he just took the whole pile and chucked it. I want those coupons!!! But a whole lot of letters went straight to the recycling bin. I wanna check it out in more detail.
 

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
4,793
4
81
Believe it or not, I'm about 99% sure that what he is doing is actually a FELONY.

Call your local postmaster to find out for sure... I would ask hypothetically, since you probably don't want this guy sent to prison... but then I'd let the guy know what the law is.

Joe
 

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
19,441
85
91
Originally posted by: TuxDave
I'm gonna drop by the post office later today to send out some packages. I only discovered this last night. I was beginning to wonder why I would go for days with any mail including spam, and then get a crapload of mail on one day and STILL no spam.

Since I didn't get any of those 'preapproved' credit card offers anymore, I was beginning to worry that my credit rating went down.

I would worry about those the most. Whats to stop him from giving one of those to a friend with your info. If I get those I cut them in half before I throw them away.
 

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
13,066
2
0
The postage has been paid for that mail. Therefore, regardless of the intention of the mail, it must reach its destination. It's not his place to determine what is junk mail and what is not. Maybe you want pizza coupons and credit card applications. He has no right to do this even if you tell him it's okay.
 

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
68,145
10
81
Originally posted by: Netopia
Believe it or not, I'm about 99% sure that what he is doing is actually a FELONY.

Call your local postmaster to find out for sure... I would ask hypothetically, since you probably don't want this guy sent to prison... but then I'd let the guy know what the law is.

Joe

yeah i think it is. I didnt want to say it was and be "owned" heh.


I would notify the postmaster. IF someone gets a hold of the CC stuff they can really ruin your credit. Whenever i get them i run them threw my crappy shredder (i just have to keep the turtles away).
 

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
13,430
13
81
It's not legal for him to obstruct your access to your mail. It's also illegal for him to throw away mail with an address on it.
 

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
10,572
3
71
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: TuxDave
I'm gonna drop by the post office later today to send out some packages. I only discovered this last night. I was beginning to wonder why I would go for days with any mail including spam, and then get a crapload of mail on one day and STILL no spam.

Since I didn't get any of those 'preapproved' credit card offers anymore, I was beginning to worry that my credit rating went down.

I would worry about those the most. Whats to stop him from giving one of those to a friend with your info. If I get those I cut them in half before I throw them away.

:Q Dude.. you're right. Crap, I didn't think about that. Yeah, when I get those credit card offers I usually shred them before recycling it and he's just chucking the letters in its entirety.
 

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
10,572
3
71
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
Have you talked to any of your neighbors who are also affected by this?

Only a few but most of them are new residents and so I guess they don't expect a regular influx of mail. I haven't had time to talk with the more senior residents. I've been here for 2 years and only until the new management (1-2 months ago) did I notice that my daily mail had dropped significantly.
 

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
2,155
2
0
Sounds like he might think he's doing you a favor but he's actually committing a felony. His ass is grass if the postal inspectors can prove that he's throwing away mail that's not addressed to him. It's especially important that you bring this to the attention of the post office in light of the possibility of identity theft.

 
Jul 12, 2001
10,142
2
0
Originally posted by: arcas
Sounds like he might think he's doing you a favor but he's actually committing a felony. His ass is grass if the postal inspectors can prove that he's throwing away mail that's not addressed to him. It's especially important that you bring this to the attention of the post office in light of the possibility of identity theft.

yeah i agree with this, i bet he thinks he is doing a nice thing