Properly cleaning a CPU heatsink

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
So I currently own a Prolimatech Megahalems, a moderately sized twin tower air cooler with aluminium fins and nickel plated copper heatpipes. Unfortunately, as I am not the first owner of this cooler it is quite dirty.

I want to know, what is the best way to clean these things? I've already gone over it with compressed air, but because of the density of the fins and how dirty the heatsink was, I was unable to clean it completely and I can still see dirt and dust between the fins that are obviously going to reduce the dissipation of heat from the fins.

I was wondering if it would be safe to clean a heatsink on the top rack of a dishwasher? It's just a hunk of metal after all, and doesn't really have any steel in it right? As long as I dry it completely before I attach it back to my computer it should be fine?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I don't see why you couldn't just blast it under a garden hose. Just don't use a water stream that has enough force to damage any of the welds between the heatpipe and base.

If there's a greasy film on the fins, get yourself a vinyl tub, put a copious quantity of Ivory Liquid Dish Soap in there and add water, and let the Megahelems soak for as long as you need to.

Or go down to COSTCO, get a bottle of 70% isopropanol, and use a soft paint brush to dab the surface of the fins.

It might not HURT to put it in a dishwasher, but that would be my action of last resort.

The problem of a "sticky film" will arise if the cooler was used in a computer sitting in a room where cigarettes, other tobacco items, or "other stuff" is smoked regularly. Over some period of time, a lot of the air in the room -- with the pollutants -- is going to pass through the cooler.

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
The detergent soak idea sounds good, I might try that.

I guess I was just attracted to the idea of putting my heatsink in a machine and having it come out sparkly clean after it's done :p

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
You do not want to put anything aluminium in the dish washer ever - the detergent will make it corrode like crazy. I'd give it a soak in regular dish washing liquid, scrub carefully if anything won't come off, and rinse well with lots of water.

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
You do not want to put anything aluminium in the dish washer ever - the detergent will make it corrode like crazy. I'd give it a soak in regular dish washing liquid, scrub carefully if anything won't come off, and rinse well with lots of water.

So dishwater soap is different from hand dishwashing detergent?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
So dishwater soap is different from hand dishwashing detergent?

Yep. Due to the fact that dishwashers have no way of scrubbing anything, they need to use far stronger chemicals. Regular dish washing soap is relatively mild, and more or less regular soap. Dishwasher detergent is meant to break down any kind of coating or residue on whatever it touches - it very effectively strips away the protective layer that forms on any aluminium exposed to air. In other words, it eats away at the aluminum. There's a reason why you're told not to clean aluminum pots in the dishwasher.

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
Yep. Due to the fact that dishwashers have no way of scrubbing anything, they need to use far stronger chemicals. Regular dish washing soap is relatively mild, and more or less regular soap. Dishwasher detergent is meant to break down any kind of coating or residue on whatever it touches - it very effectively strips away the protective layer that forms on any aluminium exposed to air. In other words, it eats away at the aluminum. There's a reason why you're told not to clean aluminum pots in the dishwasher.

Hm, I didn't know that. I guess I'll just go for the detergent bath then, thanks for the insight :)

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Also, use plain dish detergent, if you're going that route. The junk with moisturizers, or other crap in it, can leave a film that is very hard to rinse off, and will negatively affect performance, and possibly make it more of a dust magnet in the future. Likewise, don't use actual soap, due to the same risk.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd say the plain labeled bottle of "Ivory Classic" unscented liquid soap.

Interesting thread! My aversion to a modern dishwasher and the special soaps like Cascade or Finish was merely intuitive, and the points offered by others are really solid.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If it's that bad just stop by your local car wash and put the pressure wand on it and rinse it off with the spotless rinse.

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
I don't think we have 'Ivory Classic' over here, but I'll probably use a really plain detergent which should be fine. After all, it doesn't leave any residue on dishes right?

I have a high-pressure water hose that's usually used for cleaning driveways and such. It has a warning not to use it on cars. That would be way too powerful right?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Yeah, that would probably warp the cooling fins, if not tear them apart altogether. The one at your local car wash would probably be even worse :p

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I don't think we have 'Ivory Classic' over here, but I'll probably use a really plain detergent which should be fine. After all, it doesn't leave any residue on dishes right?

I have a high-pressure water hose that's usually used for cleaning driveways and such. It has a warning not to use it on cars. That would be way too powerful right?

Some kitchen sinks are equipped with a spray-nozzle that diverts flow from the faucet. I'd thank that's about all you would need, and I agree about the high-power, high-pressure options -- too risky.

There are solvents that will remove the film from tobacco smoke. Lighter fluid! Ronsonol! That would do it -- with a soft brush capable of fitting between the fins. Then put it in some very soapy water to remove traces of the solvent. then blast it with the kitchen-sink spray-nozzle.

[Just don't fire up a blunt while you're using the Ronsonol for cleaning! Remember Richard Prior?!]

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Electrical Contact Cleaner might do the trick too. It comes in a handy spray bottle, and I know it's supposed to be safe for aluminum and copper wire.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I would not use any soap at all for this. It's just dust, and there's no guarantee you'll get all the soap off of everything.

Soap residue will create an insulating barrier that retards heat transfer. Personally, I get some good old fashioned 90+% isopropyl alcohol and soak it, then use a childrens toothbrush to scrub off anything that didn't dissolve on it's own. Let it air dry and it's good as new.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I would not use any soap at all for this. It's just dust, and there's no guarantee you'll get all the soap off of everything.

Soap residue will create an insulating barrier that retards heat transfer. Personally, I get some good old fashioned 90+% isopropyl alcohol and soak it, then use a childrens toothbrush to scrub off anything that didn't dissolve on it's own. Let it air dry and it's good as new.

If it were just dust, you could simply blow it out with a Metro-Vac or canned air. I mentioned the alcohol in my own post. But soap? Enough rinsing and that, too, would disappear. With any worries, one could use the soap and water first, then rinse with water and use isopropyl after. There are pollutants in the air that can add a sticky film with the dust, and either the soap or the isopropyl or a stronger solvent would help with that. But you wouldn't want to leave any residue of the cleaning agent -- any of them.

All these posts -- yours included -- seem to build some simple "method" for cleaning something that usually doesn't get enough attention. I usually just lightly jam a chop-stick through the fan and into the fins to hold the blades in place, than blast with my Metro-Vac ED-500. But I can see that it probably pays some dividends to remove, clean and reseat a heatpipe tower with new TIM every once in a while.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
One tried and true contact cleaner for electronics is my holy mantra about using the product called FLUX OFF. All you need is flux off and paper towel.

If I did not have flux off then i used WD 40

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
80% of household dust is dead skin cells which may be oily. Also some air fresheners are oil based which can spread evaporated oil around.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
80% of household dust is dead skin cells

That's a myth. Sure, some of the dust will be that. But mostly it's cloth fibers and other debris from household objects, as well as pollen, asphalt dust (at least if you live near a busy road), and all kinds of other stuff.

But any way, there will always be something that makes the dust stick, especially to smooth metallic surfaces. They need proper cleaning after a while.