Projector for bedroom

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I started looking into projectors as I have a big wall in my bedroom. I did end up with a new monitor for my PC but how the desk is positioned I'd have to lay sideways to watch stuff from my bed.

Is there a big difference between 720p and 1080p projectors when the room distance to wall is not that great?

I was looking into the LG phk50 or the xgimi z6 projector. Similar price points but I want it to have a low profile. The Anker nebula capsule seems perfect but 480 resolution sucks. Wireless is nice and smart capability so I can stream stuff from my PC or other devices.

Any recommendations I should look into? I've watched so many YouTube reviews on the portable projectors and can't decide.

Want to set it up on a nightstand in the corner so I can easily view when laying in bed. The pic shows the space I'm working with.
1b95a34c05e842f0851680adaebb1c28.jpg

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
My guess is 1080 is needed. That also gives some resolution headroom if you can't place the projector right and need some digital offset. Might come handy.
A personal guess is you also end up with a larger screen that anticipated. Big screens is addictive. That also favours 1080.
Don't know about those led projectors. But they are cute. Good luck.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I don't know if you're still looking or not, but I have a 1080p projector & 5.1 setup in my bedroom. Sounds insane, but it's awesome! :D

I have a post on the surround-sound setup here, from a couple years ago:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/diy-bose-5-1-success-199-byo-receiver.2467146/

As far as projectors go, I would definitely recommend a good-quality 1080p LED projector for a bedroom. They are small & don't output as much heat. I have a BenQ HT2050, which is ginormous & acts as a space heater during the winter, lol. My suggestion would be to save up & go with the XGIMI H2, which is currently going for $900 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/XGIMI-Projector-Auto-focus-Bluetooth-Screenless/dp/B07HHNSBGW

Note that the onboard Android system is in Chinese & they did an English language pass, both for the Android OS & for the menu system. My solution is that I just don't bother using the built-in Android system...get a Fire stick or a Roku stick or something else & set the projector to boot to HDMI by default, problem solved! It's a really fantastic unit & is the primary projector that I've been installing for businesses & residential home theaters for the past couple of years.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Definitely get the 1080p, it has nothing to do with distance though. Most content is 1080p and will look better, more natural. It won't require down-scaling to 720p.

In smaller rooms the zoom ratio becomes more important, measure the distance and find a projector that works at a close distance.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look some more into it. The night stand that sits to the left if my bed isn't really high enough as I thought it would be. Don't want to mount it as this is still an apartment but when I figure something out I was thinking 1080p would be the one to go with. That LG look decent. It seems to have gotten good reviews too.

Jun 18, 2000
Any way you can mount the projector on the wall above your head? Setting it up off-center means you'll need horizontal lens shift, which doesn't exist at the price point you are looking in, or a crazy amount of keystone correction, which will hurt image quality. And again at that price point the picture quality won't be great to start with, and keystone will only make it worse.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
what is the budget? there are lots of short throw projectors that need zero room. of course a nice laser short
Xiaomi Mi Laser projector review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk7G3MDtys
I didn't want to spend that much or too much on the count that I just wanted to have a projector in case I would want to use it lol. I totally understand spending 2k on one if it will be your main source of entertainment. Without a proper mounting solution it seems like not such a good idea anymore.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Own or rent? If own, I would suggest mounting the unit on the ceiling with an additional shelf/section for a laptop (to plug in Amazon, Google, and use the lappy for web-based viewing). Use one of the small form factor keyboards as an all purpose remote.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Own or rent? If own, I would suggest mounting the unit on the ceiling with an additional shelf/section for a laptop (to plug in Amazon, Google, and use the lappy for web-based viewing). Use one of the small form factor keyboards as an all purpose remote.
Right now I rent but perhaps a bit down the road I may want to own something so it will most likely be a purchase I'd want to make. Seems like kind of a hassle to mount right now in an apartment. I'm saving up for a house but this area is expensive and I'm still unsure if this is where I'd want to live. But I've been at my company a long time now so who knows.

I could definitely see a projector much more useful in a house like in a basement or den.