Project Cars (Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC, Steam OS & WiiU)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
graphics look pretty sweet, but the game looks way too simulation for my likings. but i really don't know anything about it to be honest.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Forza 5 is an arcade style game. Project Cars is supposed to be THE definitive driving simulator. This game isn't even competing with Forza at all.
From the FAQ page:

What game is Project CARS like?
Project CARS is a racing simulation so is comparable with popular console franchises Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo whilst also providing the kind of advanced features usually reserved for PC-only simulators like iRacing and rFactor.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I took one look at the PC requirements and almost spit out my tea. I guess I'll be needing to upgrade my CPU and mobo sometime next year. With it needing a minimum 3ghz Phenom II, I wonder how the PS4 and XB1 are going to handle it.

Early reviews of the preview builds have been positive. I'd say it has more in common with GTR2 than Forza or Gran Turismo. They seem to be focusing more on professional, race built vehicles rather than production cars.

As for 24hrs of Le Mons, I think GTR2 had it. You'll probably be able to pause the game and save your place. It's definitely not for the light hearted though.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Fuck add this game to the long list of delayed games this gen. :( Just read it's getting delayed till March.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Yep...

Project Cars Delay to March 2015 Confirmed

Gamespot.com said:
Slightly Mad Studios has confirmed to GameSpot that Project Cars has been delayed to March 20.

Publisher Bandai Namco said the delay "positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names."

A statement issued by studio head Ian Bell reads:

"Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience."

"Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We're eager for you all to see what we've been working on in just a few months."
When approached by GameSpot, the studio and its publishing partner did not have details to share, but a private message already released to the game's funders has confirmed a delay will be announced shortly.

Speaking on the game's forum, which is only accessible to those who helped fund the game, project director Andy Garton explained the Project Cars release date has been pushed back to March 2015.

"This delay has come about because a couple of other big games have announced they are shipping around the same time as our planned first date," Garton wrote.

"We know it might be a little hard to believe but this would have had a very significant impact on our initial sales."

He also said the delay comes because the project still lacks "fixes and polish."

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
"This delay has come about because a couple of other big games have announced they are shipping around the same time as our planned first date," Garton wrote.

"We know it might be a little hard to believe but this would have had a very significant impact on our initial sales."

He also said the delay comes because the project still lacks "fixes and polish."

talk about lack of confidence ... wow. that would definitely make me think twice about this game if i was on the fence about it.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
talk about lack of confidence ... wow. that would definitely make me think twice about this game if i was on the fence about it.
Lack of confidence for sure.. A ton of games are getting released early next year how is that any better?! I'm gonna laugh if that puts them closer to a Gran Tourismo release. Lol

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Heh...this says to me that there aren't enough hardcore Sim fans to buy it and they don't want every other new title to overshadow it for casual fans and everyone else.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Yeah but, as a gamer... I can't say as though I'm unhappy. Chances are, I wouldn't have purchased this game in 2014. There are just too many other games to play. And I would definitely call myself a huge fan of the racing genre.

I'm not sure spring is going to be much better. Give me a late summer release. :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Lack of confidence for sure.. A ton of games are getting released early next year how is that any better?! I'm gonna laugh if that puts them closer to a Gran Tourismo release. Lol

lol you are giving polyphony digital too much credit ... gt7 won't be out until 2021 earliest.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Yea, I don't think that this shows a lack of confidence in the game, I think it's an honest assessment that racing games usually aren't as big of a draw as what is slated to launch in November. I mean, they already had Horizon 2 and Driveclub take up some interest in racers. Then, they'd be launching 3 days after gamers sunk a bunch of money into Far Cry 4, GTA V's re-release, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Right before those are Halo, CoD, and AC. It's a jam-packed release schedule that would have drowned Project CARS.

So, they're back into March. The only thing (at least on the One) that has a March release date is Final Fantasy Type-0, and while Battlefield: Hardline is expected in or around March, fighting 1 blockbuster title is better than fighting 6 of them, plus 3 other racing games (Horizon, Driveclub, and The Crew).

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I purchased Driveclub a week ago and got a refund for it, and now I'm bummed that Project CARS is getting delayed as it's only one of two games I'm interested in November. Well at least I have Forza Horizon 2 until then.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I've got a friend who got into the beta. It looks fantastic. Rain, lights, the cars. All of it. Slightly mad are the studio who made NFS: Shift 2. Pretty good game for 2011. Looks nice, drives well.